Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
jayfox26

QPR home pre-match thread, 3pm Saturday.

5 minutes ago, Clever Fox said:

It will be interesting to see who Enzo will rest for this game. Surely Ricardo is due a rest, Especially after to tough games.

Maybe he'll go with Hamza in the Ricardo role.

Hamza may well play in defence, but Ricardo will surely keep his place alongside KDH in the other number 8 role? He's the best we have available for that position and we need our best team out. Unfortunately we lost the privilege of resting key players for QPR during that ludicrous final 10-15mins at Leeds.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, ClaphamFox said:

Hamza may well play in defence, but Ricardo will surely keep his place alongside KDH in the other number 8 role? He's the best we have available for that position and we need our best team out. Unfortunately we lost the privilege of resting key players for QPR during that ludicrous final 10-15mins at Leeds.

I think he might go with a similar approach to the Bournemouth cup game with some of the better players on the bench with the option of bringing them on in the second half if needed. Tuesday may be the tougher game and we need to minimise injuries for the long run in. We need to win both though. 

17 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

I think Coady will start, wouldn't be surprised to see Nelson start coming on to see games out as well. The set up for the final part of the Bournemouth game was very interesting.

I hope not, it's one thing doing it against better teams. If we're reducing ourselves to sh*tting ourselves and going deep on 1-0 leads against some of the dross in this league then that's not growth. That's dumb thinking like Brendan "it worked in situation A so it'll work in situation B, C and D"

Nelson has to start on Saturday at least. Coady barely playing and then playing 120 and then starting a game 4 days later makes no sense.

As others have said, Nelson starting this game and then Coady v Sunderland seems very plausible.

11 hours ago, Clever Fox said:

It will be interesting to see who Enzo will rest for this game. Surely Ricardo is due a rest, Especially after to tough games.

Maybe he'll go with Hamza in the Ricardo role.

Can see him playing 60 and then coming off. 

Against QPR think he'll have Riccy as the 8 and Hamza as the RB.

1 hour ago, Supergray22 said:

I think he might go with a similar approach to the Bournemouth cup game with some of the better players on the bench with the option of bringing them on in the second half if needed. Tuesday may be the tougher game and we need to minimise injuries for the long run in. We need to win both though. 

This would be a huge gamble. QPR have won three out of their last five games and only lost one. Sunderland have lost their last three games and only won one of their last five. If we underestimate QPR tomorrow and leave key players on the bench, it could backfire spectacularly. However, I don't think Maresca will do that.

Edited by ClaphamFox

This is what im thinking, and some of the better players seem to make a huge impact when they come on. If Hamza is ok after 120 mins I would start him in the inverted role, play Praet and sub Riccy.  There is something about bringing on Riccy and Fatawu on 60 minutes that must be horrible to deal with for the opposition.

What amazed me about Bournemouth is how much more tired they were than us. 

11 hours ago, ClaphamFox said:

Correct. 

• Like 2

Look at the form table, QPR much stronger than Sunderland recently. 

21 minutes ago, ClaphamFox said:

This would be a huge gamble. QPR have won three out of their last five games and only lost one. Sunderland have lost their last three games and only won one of their last five. If we underestimate QPR tomorrow and leave key players on the bench, it could backfire spectacularly. However, I don't think Maresca will do that.

Both games are worth three points 

Think we have to win one in two from now on 

more chance of winning at home to qpr than away at Sunderland if we play a strong side

that's why he goes strong tomorrow and let’s Tuesday deal with itself - the performance at Bournemouth may open his eyes to the possibility of making many changes for Tuesday. 

• Like 2

Maresca pretty much kept his first XI active during the festive period when we had four games in ten days, so why would he act any differently now with three games in eight, especially now we are at the business end of the season?

Barring injuries or suspensions, he should go full strength in all three. Likewise the Cup quarter-final as there is a full week free before it and a two-week break afterwards.

2 hours ago, filbertway said:

I hope not, it's one thing doing it against better teams. If we're reducing ourselves to sh*tting ourselves and going deep on 1-0 leads against some of the dross in this league then that's not growth. That's dumb thinking like Brendan "it worked in situation A so it'll work in situation B, C and D"

Nelson has to start on Saturday at least. Coady barely playing and then playing 120 and then starting a game 4 days later makes no sense.

As others have said, Nelson starting this game and then Coady v Sunderland seems very plausible.

Of course, there's a time and place for it. The occasions I'm thinking are against the likes of Leeds and Ipswich etc where we've applied a high press and hold slender leads but we seemingly don't have alternatives on the bench that press as well (E.G Cannon doesn't do it as well as Daka and McAteer as well as Mavididi) so you need to safeguard the result.

• Like 1

Go as strong as possible. Hopefully go 2/3 up by 60 mins, then think about resting some.

When we're only leading 1-0 going into the last 10mins, we know what generally happens.

Kill the game off early. 

15 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Of course, there's a time and place for it. The occasions I'm thinking are against the likes of Leeds and Ipswich etc where we've applied a high press and hold slender leads but we seemingly don't have alternatives on the bench that press as well (E.G Cannon doesn't do it as well as Daka and McAteer as well as Mavididi) so you need to safeguard the result.

Aye I see where you're coming from. Just, the thought of employing those tactics at home to QPR makes me want to fold the club and just end football if that's what it's coming to haha

Edited by filbertway
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Sol thewall Bamba said:

Look at the form table, QPR much stronger than Sunderland recently. 

True but I go on what I have seen with my own eyes and I think there are reasons behind each run of form. I think Sunderland away will be the tougher game. But you’re right we shouldn’t underestimate QPR either as they are decent and have done well of late. Every game is a cup final from no one. Hopefully including the actual

cup final 😀🙏🏻🦊

2 hours ago, ClaphamFox said:

True. I wouldn’t underestimate either. QPR deserve respect and we have been just as good away as at home. I also go by how they performed against us in the last game. I trust Maresca to get the balance right. Two games in three days. I’d still bring on some of the better players second half at home and keep some freshness for the second game away. Start with first eleven first game and it will be very tough away. Will be interesting to see what he does. Have to bear in mind that he did rest some players in the cup until late and it went to extract time and we bought on some of the A- team. 

Edited by Supergray22

The next game is always the most important and every point on the board is worth the same as any other. play the strongest side possible, take the points and then reassess for next game. why rest players for the following game, who could then pickup an injury in training, fall ill etc and then not feature after all.

We are in the final quarter of the season and this is not the time for wholesale changes. Being able to rotate is important as there will be injuries etc but the main thing is to maintain the balance of the side and keep momentum up. Our squad depth should give us the advantage in terms of in game changes to rest legs and tactical switches for certain games etc