Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
ClaphamFox

Leicester 'could face points deduction next season'

20 minutes ago, copunk said:

Just in time for the Man City and Chelsea punishments, if your Forest or Everton, may well be us next season, your either demanding the points back or suing 

Just goes to show the complete and utter farce the EPL has become

This.

I've got a few angles on the whole charade.

Firstly I was quite proud of our model of high sales, fairly modest purchases, from that aspect I don't see how that can be criticised or how we've failed in that regard - however I think we probably would have failed by the letter of the law. We were acting like paupers meanwhile others are spending with gay abandon.

It turns out we've been overspending on wages. Ridiculously and disgustingly, for that I have no defence, throw the book at us.

But then on the other hand all the big clubs keep getting away with it and now it is being muted the authorities are going to change the rules to suit the top clubs, once again

Therefore I don't see how you can punish Everton, Forest and ourselves then say "Hang on, something got to change", yes we've broke the rules under these rules, but so have a high percentage of clubs in the Premier League.

The authorities didn't care until the threat of an independent regulator, the authorities are now making a mockery of themselves, yet if they'd got a handle of this earlier, had some proper governance before now they'd not be in this position where it's an embarrassment from their selves, clubs and the game in general.

I think that speaks volumes that an independent regulator is needed more than ever.

I'm all for being punished if we've done wrong, of which we have, it's indefensible but let's have it across the board and not make it up as we go along.

It's a mess and I really want the game at the top level to go bang.

Edited by Matt
  • Like 2

I don't think the league was interested in points deductions until the independent regulator was announced. As we have seen, it takes time, money and effort and we won't be sure of final standings until after the season has finished due to appeals.

Half the league is only bothered about bringing the cash in every season so they would willingly take points deductions out of the equation if it meant ceding even more power and influence to the elite.

https://www.footballinsider247.com/leeds-united-spearhead-push-for-leicester-city-punishment-as-documents-uncovered-sources/

Leeds United spearhead push for Leicester City punishment as documents uncovered – sources

Sean Fisher

Thu 4 April 2024 19:00, UK

Leeds United are at the forefront of a group of Championship clubs pushing for Leicester City to face sanctions, sources have told Football Insider.

Leicester have been charged for a breach of Profit and Sustainability Rules after exceeding their allowable losses during their final season in the top flight.

The Foxes published their 2022-23 accounts on Tuesday (2 April) revealing an overall loss of close to £90million.

It takes their total losses over the last three years to £215million after also suffering heavy losses in 2020-21 and 2021-22.

Clubs in the Championship are now pushing for Leicester to face sanctions with senior figures complaining that their promotion charge is formed on the foundation of an unfair advantage.

Leeds United join group pushing for Leicester sanctions

It is understood that Leeds are spearheading the complaints with board members at Elland Road furious at the enormity of Leicester’s losses.

As revealed by Football Insider, Leicester City’s points deduction is “only a matter of time” after their accounts revealed the scale of their financial crisis.

Enzo Maresca’s side are currently third in the Championship but boast a game in hand over promotion rivals Leeds and Ipswich Town.

Join the Football Insider WhatsApp channel to get all our exclusives and the breaking transfer news FIRST.

Had Leicester remained in the Premier League, any sanctions from their PSR charge would have been applied this season.

Instead, Leicester are expected to start next season on minus points under the assumption that they will be given a points deduction for their PSR breach.

16 minutes ago, davieG said:

https://www.footballinsider247.com/leeds-united-spearhead-push-for-leicester-city-punishment-as-documents-uncovered-sources/

Leeds United spearhead push for Leicester City punishment as documents uncovered – sources

Sean Fisher

Leeds United are at the forefront of a group of Championship clubs pushing for Leicester City to face sanctions, sources have told Football Insider.

Leicester have been charged for a breach of Profit and Sustainability Rules after exceeding their allowable losses during their final season in the top flight.

The Foxes published their 2022-23 accounts on Tuesday (2 April) revealing an overall loss of close to £90million.

It takes their total losses over the last three years to £215million after also suffering heavy losses in 2020-21 and 2021-22.

Clubs in the Championship are now pushing for Leicester to face sanctions with senior figures complaining that their promotion charge is formed on the foundation of an unfair advantage.

It is understood that Leeds are spearheading the complaints with board members at Elland Road furious at the enormity of Leicester’s losses.

As revealed by Football Insider, Leicester City’s points deduction is “only a matter of time” after their accounts revealed the scale of their financial crisis.

Enzo Maresca’s side are currently third in the Championship but boast a game in hand over promotion rivals Leeds and Ipswich Town.

Join the Football Insider WhatsApp channel to get all our exclusives and the breaking transfer news FIRST.

Had Leicester remained in the Premier League, any sanctions from their PSR charge would have been applied this season.

Instead, Leicester are expected to start next season on minus points under the assumption that they will be given a points deduction for their PSR breach.

But we ARE facing sanctions, aren't we? We've been charged and our case will be heard by an independent commission, after which we'll very likely get a points deduction. So what exactly are they 'pushing for'?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, ClaphamFox said:

But we ARE facing sanctions, aren't we? We've been charged and our case will be heard by an independent commission, after which we'll very likely get a points deduction. So what exactly are they 'pushing for'?

Accelerated decision, points deduction this season to ensure LUFC promotion. I have seen a number of their supporters pushing this 

Just now, JimmyC74 said:

Accelerated decision, points deduction this season to ensure LUFC promotion. I have seen a number of their supporters pushing this 

That would make sense but the article doesn't say that - it just says they're 'pushing for sanctions', which would be redundant given that we've already been charged. You'd think the journalist would have remembered to include the key detail about them wanting an accelerated decision as the article doesn't make sense without it...

Either way, it's not going to happen. There's no way that our case will be heard and the appeals process exhausted in time for the deduction to be applied this season. So it's all rather academic. 

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, ClaphamFox said:

That would make sense but the article doesn't say that - it just says they're 'pushing for sanctions', which would be redundant given that we've already been charged. You'd think the journalist would have remembered to include the key detail about them wanting an accelerated decision as the article doesn't make sense without it...

Either way, it's not going to happen. There's no way that our case will be heard and the appeals process exhausted in time for the deduction to be applied this season. So it's all rather academic. 

Agreed. Pressure starting to tell.

you know what the narrative will be if we go up….as if Leeds are whiter than white in this area.

49 minutes ago, davieG said:

Sean Fisher

Articles like this from these various football news sites always make me laugh and frustrate me in equal measure, it's just clickbait and a drive to get people to sign up to there WhatsApp which leads to income somewhere down the line. No actual facts or sources, just "board members at Elland Road furious at the enormity of Leicester's losses.", I mean I imagine they are pretty annoyed, but at best their venting about it to each other and senior figures at other clubs knowing there's nothing that can be done, at worst their picking up the phone moaning to someone at the EFL who will no doubt be saying there's not much that they can do about it at the moment. It's just quick, lazy wannabe journalism.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, JimmyC74 said:

Thank the Lord nobody in any position of power gives a rats ass what Leeds Utd fans think!

15 minutes ago, 5waller5 said:

Each domino blaming the one behind it.

Leeds blaming us, we’re blaming Everton, but nobody is tackling the cause of the little dominoes falling - Man City et al

Let's not forget that we missed out on CL football the first year we got 5th because Man City's European ban was miraculously overturned...

the whole system is broken

• Like 3

16 hours ago, Matt said:

This.

I've got a few angles on the whole charade.

Firstly I was quite proud of our model of high sales, fairly modest purchases, from that aspect I don't see how that can be criticised or how we've failed in that regard - however I think we probably would have failed by the letter of the law. We were acting like paupers meanwhile others are spending with gay abandon.

It turns out we've been overspending on wages. Ridiculously and disgustingly, for that I have no defence, throw the book at us.

But then on the other hand all the big clubs keep getting away with it and now it is being muted the authorities are going to change the rules to suit the top clubs, once again

Therefore I don't see how you can punish Everton, Forest and ourselves then say "Hang on, something got to change", yes we've broke the rules under these rules, but so have a high percentage of clubs in the Premier League.

The authorities didn't care until the threat of an independent regulator, the authorities are now making a mockery of themselves, yet if they'd got a handle of this earlier, had some proper governance before now they'd not be in this position where it's an embarrassment from their selves, clubs and the game in general.

I think that speaks volumes that an independent regulator is needed more than ever.

I'm all for being punished if we've done wrong, of which we have, it's indefensible but let's have it across the board and not make it up as we go along.

It's a mess and I really want the game at the top level to go bang.

With regards to wages.. personally I feel like there was a degree of us  having unintentionally gatecrashed the top 4 and making a desperate  attempt to stay there. Plus a bit of player power going on.. I’m sure the day after the prem title win there was several players knocking on Vichai door making it very clear who won them the prem title.. plus there was a  degree of ‘prolonged prestige’ when trying to sign new players for a few years after “!you won the prem and you are rich pay me more to sign” and then we got in a whole and a spiral and couldn’t get out of it as we were desperate  to stay  competitive  and in the top6 which backfired spectacularly.  

so that may be some blue tinted specs going on there  but personally I’d see that as a little bit different as say Forest who just went for the spending to get into and stay in the prem without a care of the consequences.

in really just making excuses, I know…

• Like 1

If it was the other way round we would be saying exactly the same sort of things, imagine how we would feel if Leeds has a massive breach, they went up we stayed down and then they start next season with a hefty deduction, we would be properly pissed off and rightly so. 

Still hate the whinging gobshites mind you 😂

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Claudio Fannieri said:

If it was the other way round we would be saying exactly the same sort of things, imagine how we would feel if Leeds has a massive breach, they went up we stayed down and then they start next season with a hefty deduction, we would be properly pissed off and rightly so. 

Still hate the whinging gobshites mind you 😂

I'm not sure anybody is saying they don't have a right to be pissed off. But that doesn't mean that the EFL or PL can circumvent the process and punish us early just to appease other clubs.

11 minutes ago, ClaphamFox said:

I'm not sure anybody is saying they don't have a right to be pissed off. But that doesn't mean that the EFL or PL can circumvent the process and punish us early just to appease other clubs.

Completely agree that the process shouldnt be circumvented however if the boot was on the other foot we would be raging 

Edited by Claudio Fannieri

17 minutes ago, Claudio Fannieri said:

Completely agree that the process shouldnt be circumvented however if the boot was on the other foot we would be raging 

The shoe was on the other foot with Everton last season, and with missing out on Champions League to MCFC the season before.... and yet we just about managed a mild whimper rather than rage

• Like 2

2 hours ago, davieG said:

Sean Fisher

Nice to know the leeds  director's are furious  with our losses,even if we're  not .

2 hours ago, Claudio Fannieri said:

I got 99 problems, but a Leeds director’s feelings ain’t one. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

16 minutes ago, jmono84 said:

If anything we’ve put ourselves at a massive disadvantage signing average players on massive wages!

This is what gets me. The money and the ambition has been there. We've just had the wrong people steering the ship.

When you think of the players we could have signed :ph34r:

• Like 1

It's all a mess. It's not been advantageous to us really, quite the opposite is true. In that time period the overspend occurs we went from top 6 challengers to mediocre to absolute shite.  Why would we face a points deduction this season from rules we broke in the PL over three years anyway?

We aren't guilty of anything in the FL until June either, by which time we maybe back in the PL. Maybe PL and football league should have been more joined up in the first place? But they can't even agree how funding should be split and see themselves as very separate entities.

On top of that, our relegation was down to Everton who had been breaking the rules longer than we have. So we should have stayed up, they gone down and we get our penalty as deserved in the PL this year, they should have had theirs last year.

As most of the losses are wages, that's the very reason we have been unable to do anything about the them. Nobody wants nacho on 80k a week, or the many others in our squad in same situation.  Most of these decisions were made at a time we were punching above our weight and after we were PL champs, then challenging in Europe.

So to summarise we've broke the rules but we haven't gained from them, the opposite is true (relegation, disinterested players/manager ie Bodger's etc) and we've had this anchor around our neck and not able to anything about it for a few years (we can't make sales happen, it's down to players)

Also it's not like we need to call in administrators or anything, KP are committed to funding us. However if PL or FL get their way, they'll probably try and put us out of business.