Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
ClaphamFox

Leicester 'could face points deduction next season'

6 minutes ago, gurru991 said:

In hindsight it would have been better for football if the super league had happened.

I know this is becoming more fashionable but I do still think about what it would do for the core, match going fanbases of those teams. We might have negative feelings about some teams fans but at the end of the day they're fans like us and they'll get fvcked by it. I get the view to an extent though. 

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, kingkisnorbo said:

I know this is becoming more fashionable but I do still think about what it would do for the core, match going fanbases of those teams. We might have negative feelings about some teams fans but at the end of the day they're fans like us and they'll get fvcked by it. I get the view to an extent though. 

I made the comment about the super league out of my frustration with what is happening with English football. I agree with you that the Super League is not a long term solution to the mess that the money grubbing  conglomerates have created. 

4 minutes ago, weller54 said:

My best friend at School (late 60s) supported WBA.. he's now a fxxking Arsenal fan!!

Goes on about how wonderful they are to watch, fantastic history blah blah blah!!

I refuse to recognise that he supports the c**ts 😂😂!!

I have never understood how it's possible change the club you support but I do notice that when people do swap clubs, it's always for a more successful club

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, weller54 said:

My best friend at School (late 60s) supported WBA.. he's now a fxxking Arsenal fan!!

Goes on about how wonderful they are to watch, fantastic history blah blah blah!!

I refuse to recognise that he supports the c**ts 😂😂!!

This drives me nuts. I have friends that were Man U fans in the early / mid 90's that now support either Liverpool or Man City. I have a girl i dated at Uni who would constantly go on and on and on about Man Utd and it was a huge family thing that they supported them. Her Facebook is full her going to all the Man City games.

Some Spanish colleagues of mine do the support a local team and one of the big 2 thing.  I presume the big 6 think this will end up happening in the UK where local people will support Leicester in the PL and one of the big 6 in the Super League because we will never be able to get there.   For my generation, its never going to happen, but for my sons generation where some of his mates support players instead of clubs, its a real possibility. 

Edited by Chelmofox
  • Like 2

34 minutes ago, gurru991 said:

In hindsight it would have been better for football if the super league had happened.

I wouldn’t be surprised if this was an underhand tactic by then to force it. You know… “ we didn’t want to but they made us do it”

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gurru991 said:

It’s starting to appear to be the case. 

It’s definitely going to happen, that original attempt was to test the waters I think, they will just announce it’s happening one day and that will be that. 

6 hours ago, Sol thewall Bamba said:

They can spend on the stadium expansion, which isn't part of FFP. If they were able and willing it would have been moving by now.

However many years later and still no sign of any movement.

Same with safe standing (niche I appreciate but the same rules apply, falls under infrastructure spending so doesn't count towards FFP), the club pleading poverty on that topic too.

Full planing wasn’t granted until December 2023, highly unlikely they were going to start work straight away.

Also stadium financing and FFP isn’t straight forward and caused Everton issues in their case, it has to be done correctly.

I’d also imagine they would make any changes to stadium configuration for safe standing at the same time as developing the stadium.

Great article on this by Martin Samuel in the sports section of the Times today entitled 'Leicester Doomed By the Warped Logic of the Premier League.'

3 hours ago, gurru991 said:

European domestic/national basketball was totally destroyed when they did the same Superleague (Euroleague). You're in for a big sad surprise if you think the same won't happen in football. Teams out of the Superleague will see right away their finances shrinked, games will be played in half empty stadiums, a lot of teams will go bankrupt. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Fear Of The Fox said:

European domestic/national basketball was totally destroyed when they did the same Superleague (Euroleague). You're in for a big sad surprise if you think the same won't happen in football. Teams out of the Superleague will see right away their finances shrinked, games will be played in half empty stadiums, a lot of teams will go bankrupt. 

I think that says more about the popularity of basketball in Europe than it does anything else.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, filbertway said:

I think that says more about the popularity of basketball in Europe than it does anything else.

You're wrong on this one. It has nothing to do with the popularity of the sport. The sport was always very popular in Spain, Italy, France, Serbia, Turkey, Russia, Lithuania and gradually in Germany and now it gains popularity in UK (schools, academies and London Lions have a quite big budget now for an English team). 

Just imagine if the Premier League introduced a squad budget instead of FFP. Let's say you can spend a maximum of 100 million quid on wages and transfers in any given season. That would be financial fair play wouldn't it? You could add in a rule that England internationals could be paid outside the rules. Then English players would have an incentive to earn an England cap and clubs would want them in their squads. 

It will obviously never happen but it would even it up.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, weller54 said:

Totally agree.

It will still happen, it's inevitable.

Sooner the better!!

it’s all part of their master plan. Bankrupt the lower levels and make the playing field as unlevel as possible. Get to a point where the entitled clubs finish ahead at a canter and they start complaining about the clubs coming up not being good enough… it all paves a way for them to exit as they complain that nobody is interested in watching them play against “insert yo-yo club” 

Edited by Lambert09
  • Like 1

43 minutes ago, Product of 84 said:

Just imagine if the Premier League introduced a squad budget instead of FFP. Let's say you can spend a maximum of 100 million quid on wages and transfers in any given season. That would be financial fair play wouldn't it? You could add in a rule that England internationals could be paid outside the rules. Then English players would have an incentive to earn an England cap and clubs would want them in their squads. 

It will obviously never happen but it would even it up.

The rich six would love that - they’d make a fortune with their commercial incomes massively outweighing what they can spend 

I’m starting to fall out of love with football. Not LCFC - but the stupid ****ing parameters that have encroached the game on and off the pitch, particularly at the top level, that don’t make it enjoyable anymore IMO. 

I’m so glad I’ve seen us win the prem and the FA Cup. 

If we start with say a 10 point deduction next year, and assuming we’re in the prem, it’ll be interesting to see if we invest big or just let the current squad have a crack at it. 

• Like 1

There is some hindsight being expressed that the “Super League” should have happened, but the parameters were just plain wrong. The idea being expressed was that the six English clubs would still play in the Premier League, but also their own exclusive competition with other elite, European, clubs. 

I’m all for the idea of those clubs disappearing into their own competition, but as a response they should be thrown out of the EPL, FA Cup and UEFA competitions. Let them play each other relentlessly in some sort of glorified round robin tournament. 

The problem is and will always be, that the governing bodies are just too weak and self serving themselves. Rather than face off against these clubs they would sooner appease them to keep them on board. It will be super league by stealth until they have got the revenue monopoly they seek. 

• Like 1

This is overblown. Leicester has not breached any rule yet. Just that it is projected to by seasons end and we do not wish to comply with the Championship rule that says you need to provide a business plan about how it will be complied with. The club says it is not required to because of the fact that we were in the PL and so the rule does not apply to us.

However, prospectively, it is looking like that if we do not get promoted, we will be forced to massively reduce our wage bill and sell even more players than we like. This means that we could do a Sunderland and linger in the Championship or even drop into League One.

So this is it. If we massively drop the ball again and don’t get promoted, our Premier League quality squad would be replaced completely by Championship / League One players. If we struggle to get up even with a Premier League squad, imagine what it would be like without it!

Edited by Tom12345
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, gurru991 said:

The frustrating thing is - it didn’t really need hindsight to know it. I was one of those shouting at the time that the big clubs ****ing off would be a godsend.  Crazy from the outside looking in at all the English football fans who have Stockholm syndrome when it comes to the big clubs. Go back through the original super league discussions and you’ll see plenty of “football in this country needs Liverpool and Man Utd”. What a joke. 

8 hours ago, gurru991 said:

No hindsight about it. My opinion at the time was the quicker the “greedy six” fuck off the better and that opinion very firmly remains.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1