Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
ClaphamFox

Leicester 'could face points deduction next season'

5 hours ago, lcfc_forever said:

Thanks for sharing, fully agree. 

The LCFC directors have screwed up it appears but FFP just isn't working except for the big six.

The disparity between the big six and the rest is getting worse. Villa have spent hugely to try to keep up but the Newcastle scenario could well happen to them where they have to cut back significantly in the summer, and then the rot potentially kicks in. 

People will hold up Brighton as the example of a well-run club but they sold their best players - even if it was somewhat by choice and they got the best deals, it's so much harder for clubs that have finally built a strong team after 2 or 3 good seasons to sustain it for more than one more season as their best players swiftly have to be traded out to meet FFP. 

Yes, it’s hard to imagine how non-Big 6 clubs can ever succeed in the long term.   Like Leicester, they might have a great season, after some shrewd buying and everything falling into place.  With success comes player demands - higher wages, other teams sniffing around.  And then qualifying for European football needs a bigger squad, more good players, also on high wages.  But unless you’re a Big 6 team, immune from FFP sanctions, it’s impossible to sustain.  Eventually you lose some games, drop out of Europe, players get injured, FFP worries mean you can’t buy new players - and gradually it goes wrong.  I actually thought Newcastle had bought their way in to FFP immunity, but it’s seems not.  Outside the Big 6, you’re never safe. 

• Like 2

With the ridiculous wages demanded these days, which are artificially inflated by what the big six will pay, there is absolutely no chance of the league ever being truly competitive again. One poor season or two, where you do not qualify for a European place and you are screwed by ffp the following year. An overall fixed squad salary cap is the only way this will ever be resolved

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Foxdiamond said:

Seems Martin Samuel has perfectly explained the nonsense of FFP and the connivance behind it

Thanks for sharing this. 

An excellent article that puts the whole sorry mess into perspective. 

2 minutes ago, Chrysalis said:

This link?

https://archive.ph/PLO3k

Its dead here, and has been all 3 times I tried it today.

That's the one. Got straight on it about 20 minutes ago .

Tried to read it on their website yesterday, but they wouldn't let me unless I signed up for a free trial. 

It's a disastrous situation which I think alot of clubs can find themselves in quite easily. When the clubs voted for this, I think they imagined it would rein in the wages/ transfers of the big clubs, but its had the opposite effect.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, sm1 said:

It's a disastrous situation which I think alot of clubs can find themselves in quite easily. When the clubs voted for this, I think they imagined it would rein in the wages/ transfers of the big clubs, but its had the opposite effect.

I think it was a fear vote, most likely some form of threat from the big 6 for non compliance.  Same reason why the ESL got brushed under the rug so quickly.

Guest foxestalkisfullofidiots

If football ever needed an independent regulator it is now.

Big clubs have always been dominant, it's nothing new. FFP, PSR, or whatever it's called this week, just stops the super wealthy buying trophies. I cannot reiterate enough that Chelsea and Man City are not big clubs, both were yo-yo teams when clubs were entirely dependent on their match day fans for revenue. The real big boys can only be built by communities.

2 hours ago, trugerkem said:

Sadly the very very large genie is out of his very small bottle and there is no going back in…. This isn’t the game I knew and loved 

This has been coming for some time.

Player’s ridiculous wages, massive transfer fees (Chelsea & Abramovic are to blame for this fiasco). The bubble had to burst. 

The Premier League & the media that promote the ‘big' clubs also need to look at itself.

The money involved is kept in house, whilst clubs like Bury are allowed to go out of business. The money needs to filter down, surely. 

Meanwhile, tough financial times elsewhere (BBC Gossip):

Manchester United will be hit with a £10m penalty each season they fail to qualify for the Champions League under the terms of their new £90m-a-year kit deal with Adidas. (Times)

Poor babies, only get a meagre 80 million PER YEAR off Adidas if they finish outside the top 4, how will they cope? Don't worry though, the Prem are on the case to make sure King Power don't sponsor us for an "artificially inflated" amount, that wouldn't be faaaaaaaaaaaaaaair.

1 hour ago, gurru991 said:

I've been following football & Leicester for over 60 years & have never felt so disillusioned by the game since the advent of FFP.  Football forums are now talking finance ..... it's depressing.

On the plus side, it does seem to be something that the majority understand (as opposed to football 😀)

• Haha 2

On 15/03/2024 at 16:03, Foxdiamond said:

Seems Martin Samuel has perfectly explained the nonsense of FFP and the connivance behind it

Yes.Martin Samuel has been warning about the absurdities of FFP since it’s conception.He’s probably about the best sports journalist out there.I even used to buy the Daily Mail on a Tuesday and Friday pre smartphone days,just to read his column.News of the World before that.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Heathrow fox said:

Yes.Martin Samuel has been warning about the absurdities of FFP since it’s conception.He’s probably about the best sports journalist out there.I even used to buy the Daily Mail on a Tuesday and Friday pre smartphone days,just to read his column.News of the World before that.

He’s genuinely a good writer.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, STEVIE B said:

This has been coming for some time.

Player’s ridiculous wages, massive transfer fees (Chelsea & Abramovic are to blame for this fiasco). The bubble had to burst. 

The Premier League & the media that promote the ‘big' clubs also need to look at itself.

The money involved is kept in house, whilst clubs like Bury are allowed to go out of business. The money needs to filter down, surely. 

Sad thing is they have us all over a barrel.Banish them to their Euro Super League and therefore any involvement in domestic competition and the whole system collapses.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, gurru991 said:

I've been following football & Leicester for over 60 years & have never felt so disillusioned by the game since the advent of FFP.  Football forums are now talking finance ..... it's depressing.

It is genuinely rubbish. Goals decided in a studio and league position decided in a court. I can only conclude it's deliberate and to demoralise people.

• Like 1