Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
ClaphamFox

Leicester 'could face points deduction next season'

32 minutes ago, Matt said:

So there was no threat of further punishment on appeal yet now they’re moving the goalposts again and saying if Forest appeal the run the risk of further punishment.

They are literally making it up as they go along.

Also, they said that there'd be no mitigation for compliance in Everton's case, now they allow mitigation for Forest. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Saxondale said:

Barney Ronay in the Guardian has got it spot on: https://www.theguardian.com/football/2024/mar/18/supporters-should-blame-club-owners-not-the-rules-for-points-deductions

“The issue is buying 29 players in a single year, spending more than every year of your entire club history combined, more than Barcelona, Real Madrid and Paris Saint-Germain. Failing to make the emergency stop because you’re careering off the mountain side is really an issue about careering off the mountainside in the first place. Football follows the market. If Johnson were more valuable to more clubs he might have been sold in time for the right amount. He wasn’t. So pay up.”

he’s right Forest broke the rules and need punishing.  

he should challenge the rules themselves though, unless he’s just in thrall to the Tourist 6. 

2 minutes ago, ClaphamFox said:

This time next year they're going to be running 24-hour courts to deal with all the breaches, like they had to after the London riots in 2011.

This article’s true but not new news.  Like most clubs, Forest have to sell a big player every year to keep compliant.  If we go down, we’ll have to sell 3-4 key players.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ForestAreMagic said:

he’s right Forest broke the rules and need punishing.  

he should challenge the rules themselves though, unless he’s just in thrall to the Tourist 6. 

Yep, no doubt about it, the rules need changing, but we all need to work within the existing rules until then - Leicester included.

• Like 2

Everton fans and club not happy at all. Forest lost way more than Everton and they only get 4 points.

I would be fuming too. Forest are only 1 point away from being out the drop zone and I am pretty sure they will jump back up above Luton

14 minutes ago, Saxondale said:

In fact, the more I read into this, the more amused I become at those stupid idiots at Forest massively shitting the bed and then bursting into tears about it. 

Which is presumably what fans of other clubs will be saying about us very soon...

• Haha 1

33 minutes ago, ForestAreMagic said:

We definitely won’t

Yesterday’s response was theatre and bluster calculated to fire the fans up.  The clubs website today just has a picture of the team underneath the headline ‘together’.  They know an appeal won’t work, and they know most of the fanbase wants the club to sort the performances out instead of playing the victim all the time.   

you know, as much as it goes against rivalry… I actually got excited earlier in the season at the thought that we could have derby’s against both forest and Cov in the prem next season. Shame collectively we’ve all b*llsed that up 

Also excites me that this was the only way ‘derby’ would appear in that sentence 

Edited by Lambert09
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, ClaphamFox said:

Sky has just reported that we could face a charge for breaching PSR rules 'within days'. The story seems more or less exactly the same as the one reported at the beginning of the month. It's not clear whether anything has actually changed, but the story reasserts the claim that our accounts covering last season will show that we have breached over the three-year period ending 30 June 2023.

It also says that "a number of Leicester's competitors at the top of the Championship are monitoring the situation closely and will consider taking action if they are convinced Leicester have gained an unfair advantage". Which seems a bit odd as the period covered by this story ended in June 2023, when we were relegated. 

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11095/13089224/leicester-facing-potential-points-deduction-for-alleged-breach-of-premier-leagues-profit-and-sustainability-rules

"Oi Leicester. You gained an unfair advantage by trying so hard to avoid breaking FFP rules that you literally diminished your squad and eventually got yourselves relegated anyway"

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I just want the authorities to get on with it now. Since Forest has been slapped we are next in the media spot light. Just give us the fine so we know what we have to do next.

we know we’re gonna start next seasons race 2-3 games behind everyone.

Would not suprise me if we pulled off another miracle and somehow ascended the table into the top 6 despite the points penalty and inevitable player loss lol.

It’s what we do.

4 minutes ago, cruzFOX said:

I just want the authorities to get on with it now. Since Forest has been slapped we are next in the media spot light. Just give us the fine so we know what we have to do next.

we know we’re gonna start next seasons race 2-3 games behind everyone.

Would not suprise me if we pulled off another miracle and somehow ascended the table into the top 6 despite the points penalty and inevitable player loss lol.

It’s what we do.

Assuming we are promoted, with a large rebuild and potential points deduction I would be happy finishing above 17th. We will have to rebuild gradually.

This thread is 45 pages long. I can't read all that! Can someone summarise what we've done wrong? Is it the same as Forest, i.e. our losses exceeded the set amount? 

If so, did we have any mitigation, along the same lines in terms of when we sold star players etc.?

Just wondering if we also knew we'd breached versus blissfully unaware we'd breached. Both Forest and Everton seemed to accept the breach. Everton dealt with it by tackling the sentence, and Forest by having mitigation. 

7 minutes ago, Twitcher said:

This thread is 45 pages long. I can't read all that! Can someone summarise what we've done wrong? Is it the same as Forest, i.e. our losses exceeded the set amount? 

If so, did we have any mitigation, along the same lines in terms of when we sold star players etc.?

Just wondering if we also knew we'd breached versus blissfully unaware we'd breached. Both Forest and Everton seemed to accept the breach. Everton dealt with it by tackling the sentence, and Forest by having mitigation. 

We've all had to suffer the entire 45 pages ......... (which would effectively have fitted into 3 pages if stuff wasn't repeated every other page :) )

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, Twitcher said:

We don't know anything for certain yet, but it seems likely that we've breached PSR rules for the 2020-2023 period. Unlike Everton and Forest, we were relegated at the end of the period so did not gain a sporting advantage. We also tried harder than they did to restrict our spending in 2022/23. So we'll probably argue that our efforts to comply caused us to get relegated, so punishing us again with a points deduction will be unfair. Whether this carries any weight is anybody's guess.

We may well be in line to breach for the period ending June 2024 too, but there are three months before the end of this period so there is still - theoretically at least - time for us to avoid a breach through player sales, commercial deals or a combination of both. There are reports that if we end up breaching for this period, other Championship clubs may sue us.

Edited by ClaphamFox
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, ClaphamFox said:

We don't know anything for certain yet, but it seems likely that we've breached PSR rules for the 2020-2023 period. Unlike Everton and Forest, we were relegated at the end of the period so did not gain a sporting advantage. We also tried harder than they did to restrict our spending in 2022/23. So we'll probably argue that our efforts to comply caused us to get relegated, so punishing us again with a points deduction will be unfair. Whether this carries any weight is anybody's guess.

We may well be in line to breach for the period ending June 2024 too, but there are three months before the end of this period so there is still - theoretically at least - time for us to avoid a breach through player sales, commercial deals or a combination of both. There are reports that if we end up breaching for this period, other Championship clubs may sue us.

Thanks, so when you say PSR rules, is that the same as Everton and Forest, i.e. our losses/overspend is too high?

45 minutes ago, ClaphamFox said:

Thanks - great summary.

Right now, points deductions this season almost seem to be designed to push the club 'nearer' relegation, but give them every chance of surviving. Forest 1 point from relegation gives them every chance of surviving. If it gets closer, i even expect an appeal to be on the cards that drops it to 2 points. Everton start shitting the bed and move to a 6 point reduction.

My concern is that now the cat is out of the bag, future deductions won't be so pragmatic. Every club has had their warning.

This is a terrible place for football to have ended up in. The amount of time and energy (and cost) spent on Lawyers is going to be eye watering, and a new world of issues has already been created. We've created a bigger problem that was trying to be solved.

Edited by Chelmofox
  • Like 2