Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
ClaphamFox

Leicester 'could face points deduction next season'

23 minutes ago, StanSP said:

Not a chance it'll go any further than a slap on the wrist. All PL care about is money and they bring in a shit load for them. They won't kick them out at all. 

Indeed.

How about kicking Chelsea out of the FA cup instead and reinstating, you know who. :dunno::ph34r:

17 minutes ago, The Doctor said:

Make it a 70 point deduction. Technically they could stay up but it'd have to be pretty much a perfect season to hit 40 points

They'll get about a 25/30 point deduction, stay up and finish mid table, probably get kicked out of Europe for a season or two, transfer ban for 12/18 months, that'll be the end of it.

All this talk of a big 6 club being relegated is rubbish, the PL would lose too much revenue to allow it to happen.

If it weren't for days out with my mates I'd have stopped going a long time ago. Get cancelling your Sky/Virgin, IPTV all the way, start hitting them where it hurts.

• Like 3

Just now, Leicester_Loyal said:

They'll get about a 25/30 point deduction, stay up and finish mid table, probably get kicked out of Europe for a season or two, transfer ban for 12/18 months, that'll be the end of it.

All this talk of a big 6 club being relegated is rubbish, the PL would lose too much revenue to allow it to happen.

If it weren't for days out with my mates I'd have stopped going a long time ago. Get cancelling your Sky/Virgin, IPTV all the way, start hitting them where it hurts.

Should be the above, then an imposed salary cap for new and existing members, imposed sanctions and requirement for open books etc for a certain amount of time 

Edited by UniFox21

1 hour ago, Corky said:

Who was the last club to be KICKED OUT of the top flight?

This "threat" comes around now and then and nothing ever happens.

Swindon early 90s if i remeber correctly. Was only young at the time but think they got demoted 2-3 divisions i think. Probably wrong

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Thefox81 said:

Swindon early 90s if i remeber correctly. Was only young at the time but think they got demoted 2-3 divisions i think. Probably wrong

It was 2 but then 1 on appeal.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, purpleronnie said:

It was 2 but then 1 on appeal.

I was only 9 at the time so not sure if my memory was correct. Can remember going swindon first day of the season under Brian Little. Drew 0-0 and was kicking off with our fans in the swindon end.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Thefox81 said:

I was only 9 at the time so not sure if my memory was correct. Can remember going swindon first day of the season under Brian Little. Drew 0-0 and was kicking off with our fans in the swindon end.

Yep 1991.  Think they went up 1989/90 and just demoted back to the old Second Division with Sunderland going up instead 

2 hours ago, Chelmofox said:

But won't. PL would sh1t the bed if those 2 weren't a prominent part of the product.

1 hour ago, StanSP said:

Not a chance it'll go any further than a slap on the wrist. All PL care about is money and they bring in a shit load for them. They won't kick them out at all. 

Which is exactly why the PL either needs huge overhaul to it's governance or an independent regulator. 

There are conflicts of interest all over the place. 

The PL is a Private Company. Other than it's operational level staff, it is just a board of 5 directors and each member club gets a 'special share'. 

"The PL" itself is not sufficiently separate from the member clubs. Any big issues or changes are voted on by the member clubs, with a majority of 14 votes required. 

• Clubs want to see other clubs punished (conflict of interest since they are direct business and sporting competitors)
  • Clubs want to see some clubs avoid punishment (conflict of interest since they might have similar skeletons in their closets)
  • The PL wants to punish clubs that break rules (conflict of interest because they want to be seen to be self-policing but they also don't want to kill their golden geese - the Big 6)
  • The PL struggles to treat clubs equally, because they don't equally contribute to the broadcasting deals that the PL can command 
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, UniFox21 said:

Nottingham MPs complaining about the punishments not being consistent, ironic that. 

Honestly it’s embarrassing. As if they’re the brave martyrs for every club outside the top six.

Their trolley dash was ****ing mental. Signing so many players that you can’t even register one of your new signings (Lewis O’Brien) is not helping break the mold.

Edited by RonnieTodger
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Saxondale said:

Said it before: I’m beginning to wonder whether we should have just let the Super League teams **** off. They’d come crawling back when they realise how unfeasibly boring it is.

The Super League teams never wanted to **** off, though. They wanted to play in a closed shop European competition while continuing to participate in the Premier League. It was only when the Premier League and the government told them they'd be banned from domestic competition that the whole thing disintegrated.

• Like 3

47 minutes ago, Les-TA-Jon said:

Which is exactly why the PL either needs huge overhaul to it's governance or an independent regulator. 

There are conflicts of interest all over the place. 

The PL is a Private Company. Other than it's operational level staff, it is just a board of 5 directors and each member club gets a 'special share'. 

"The PL" itself is not sufficiently separate from the member clubs. Any big issues or changes are voted on by the member clubs, with a majority of 14 votes required. 

• Clubs want to see other clubs punished (conflict of interest since they are direct business and sporting competitors)
  • Clubs want to see some clubs avoid punishment (conflict of interest since they might have similar skeletons in their closets)
  • The PL wants to punish clubs that break rules (conflict of interest because they want to be seen to be self-policing but they also don't want to kill their golden geese - the Big 6)
  • The PL struggles to treat clubs equally, because they don't equally contribute to the broadcasting deals that the PL can command 

And this is probably explaining why owners like Sullivan at West Ham don't like independent regulation. They're probably worried they won't be able to get away with any shady stuff as they previously may have done.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, ClaphamFox said:

The Super League teams never wanted to **** off, though. They wanted to play in a closed shop European competition while continuing to participate in the Premier League. It was only when the Premier League and the government told them they'd be banned from domestic competition that the whole thing disintegrated.

Yeah, not sure why this is being misunderstood by so many people.

Their plan was never to leave the PL to play in the Super League, it was always to play in both.

Edited by Sol thewall Bamba
  • Like 3

12 minutes ago, StanSP said:

And this is probably explaining why owners like Sullivan at West Ham don't like independent regulation. They're probably worried they won't be able to get away with any shady stuff as they previously may have done.

Absolutely.

So many are scared their back handed shady deals will be banned and prevented. 

I'm assuming the regulator is just going to be the equivalent of like Ofgem but for football.

if done properly, regulator shouldn't need to get involved at all, just make sure everything is above board 

3 hours ago, Corky said:

Who was the last club to be KICKED OUT of the top flight?

This "threat" comes around now and then and nothing ever happens.

3 hours ago, Lionator said:

Leicester. By Brendan Rodgers.

The beauty of it, was that we were in his hands, as he dropped us to the floor and drop kicked us into the EFL with his size 6 Gucci loafers.

5 hours ago, ClaphamFox said:

I think you’re revising history a bit there. They backed down because the fans went ballistic.

The Super League idea was talked about for years before they actually announced it, and it was always styled as the ‘elite’ clubs breaking away from their domestic leagues.

The PL were actually extremely soft on them - i.e. they basically just pretended it didn’t happen. They could have just kicked them all out the league in one hit, but didn’t for obvious reasons.

Let’s say the Super League happened as proposed, the likes of Man City and com would be fielding no more then B teams in the PL anyway.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
13 hours ago, Saxondale said:

I think you’re revising history a bit there. They backed down because the fans went ballistic.

The Super League idea was talked about for years before they actually announced it, and it was always styled as the ‘elite’ clubs breaking away from their domestic leagues.

The PL were actually extremely soft on them - i.e. they basically just pretended it didn’t happen. They could have just kicked them all out the league in one hit, but didn’t for obvious reasons.

Let’s say the Super League happened as proposed, the likes of Man City and com would be fielding no more then B teams in the PL anyway.

You are of course correct to highlight the massive role that the fan reaction had in getting the Super League abandoned. It was a key element in the whole thing disintegrating so quickly.

Maybe my memory is playing tricks on me, but I'm pretty sure that the ESL was supposed to replace the Champions League, not domestic competition. I remember Florentino Perez stating very clearly that the member clubs would be able to continue playing in their domestic leagues while participating in the ESL. The problem was, those clubs hadn't actually bothered to consult their domestic leagues to check on this and were apparently shocked when they were told they could not play in both competitions.

If the Super League happened as proposed, the English member clubs would have a vast income stream guaranteed every year without having to worry about the small matter of qualification. This would give them a massive permanent advantage over non-member clubs in the Premier League, making it even more lopsided than it currently is. It would not be a sustainable arrangement. In the end, I suspect the rest of the league would indeed tell them to **** off. But that would mean giving up domestic football, which their fans have already made clear they are not prepared to do. Hence it is completely unworkable.

Edited by ClaphamFox

20 minutes ago, ClaphamFox said:

You are of course correct to highlight the massive role that the fan reaction had in getting the Super League abandoned. It was a key element in the whole thing disintegrating so quickly.

Maybe my memory is playing tricks on me, but I'm pretty sure that the ESL was supposed to replace the Champions League, not domestic competition. I remember Florentino Perez stating very clearly that the member clubs would be able to continue playing in their domestic leagues while participating in the ESL. The problem was, those clubs hadn't actually bothered to consult their domestic leagues to check on this and were apparently shocked when they were told they could not play in both competitions.

If the Super League happened as proposed, the English member clubs would have a vast income stream guaranteed every year without having to worry about the small matter of qualification. This would give them a massive permanent advantage over non-member clubs in the Premier League, making it even more lopsided than it currently is. It would not be a sustainable arrangement. In the end, I suspect the rest of the league would indeed tell them to **** off. But that would mean giving up domestic football, which their fans have already made clear they are not prepared to do. Hence it is completely unworkable.

Yeah, they wanted out of UEFA competitions. Re. the domestic leagues, they must have read the rule books first, one would think? Regardless, the domestic league would have become second fiddle to them. 

We also don’t know how the whole situation would have played out had the PL offered them an ‘in or out’ ultimatum but the fans of the clubs had universally favoured the idea of breaking away.

I also seem to remember the strap line of the Super League being something like “The best teams, every week” - if they did indeed play every week, that wouldn’t leave much time for domestic competition.

So - in theory - I think you’re right that the clubs wanted to have their cake and eat it but - in practice - they would have treated the domestic league as secondary and maybe even abandoned it completely.

Who knows what these idiots were actually thinking.