Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

Leicester City and PSR – Everything you need to know on EFL dispute, player sales, and what next

27 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

We have sold £200m worth of players in the last 2 years. Plus had over £150m of players leave on free transfers. Do not underestimate just how far we have fallen in asset value. I think the future is extremely bleak and cannot wait for our owners to sell up. 

Have you got owners in mind that you think would be better? can you point at some greener grass?

Probably being ignorant here but has another prem /Championship side invested as much in thier academy as we have in Seagrave?

Our Children's Children will thank Top et al for that.

That's absolutely fantastic long-termism for me, never mind if we mess up on the lottery of player purchasing, that is a lottery we won 3 times with Mahrez Vardy and Kante, we can't always find those players. But Seagrave may produce them year after year.

I hope.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Ric Flair said:

Why on earth would I know of some potential owners? This isn't having the ability to identify new players or a manager. However, because I am not in the business of talent spotting promising football owners does not mean I cannot yearn for new owners.

Why do I want new owners? Because I don't know what it would take for Top and his family to make the necessary changes around them, and whilst they don't we will continue to suffer. Not only will we suffer but it's more than that, it's the bitterness and resentment building in the fan base.

I will forever be thankful for Vichai and Top's stamp on this club over the last decade or so but now is the time for a new era. Top has proven he has no interest in rectifying the catastrophic mistakes the club made in the lead up to 2022/23 and during it and the complete starvation of communication from an empire that proclaim to be custodians of our football club is now gone past repair.

We are no longer a serious football club, there's not one facet of the way the club is currently ran that counteracts that.

Alright man fair does, we are miles apart... couldn't disagree more but, hey agree to disagree.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Heskey2011 said:

Alright man fair does, we are miles apart... couldn't disagree more but, hey agree to disagree.

Got no problem myself with fans that can still muster the confidence in our ownership. I find it so difficult to look past the refusal to make changes at director and board level despite monumental failings. As well the decision making with complete disregard for our fan base that is becoming all too frequent.

• Like 1

I see both sides of the debate above. Think probably most will agree that the short term future, I.e this season is extremely bleak and personally I think there is very very little chance we stay up and more likely we are in for an embarrassing season ala Sheffield United.

In terms of the medium and long term, have lost confidence in Top so am not particularly confident but at the same time, I agree with @Heskey2011 that there are reasons to be positive if we could suddenly become better managed.

We have a string of young players with a lot of promise that we should focus of getting experience either loaning them to the Championship to be ready for that level or at least getting them significant minutes this season. Look at Sheffield United last season, they blooded players and the one that stands out is Arlbaster who appears to be central to their team this season.

We have:

Alves

Braybrooke

Nelson

Stolarcryz (sp)

Golding

Cannon

All of those should have the potential to be key in the Championship as soon as next season given a chance. Then you have a couple like Marcal and McAteer where the jury is still out in terms of their ability.

Then it becomes can you keep Fatawu and Mavididi. If so, your forward line is sorted. Would Winks stay as an experienced head in midfield?

Defence wise I think could be ripped up and built around Nelson. 

We will need a manager who relishes playing those young guys and giving them a chance. I did think Cooper was that guy. Pre-season hasn’t really indicated that but we will see. If it carries on my patience with him will go quickly.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Heskey2011 said:

Probably being ignorant here but has another prem /Championship side invested as much in thier academy as we have in Seagrave?

Our Children's Children will thank Top et al for that.

That's absolutely fantastic long-termism for me, never mind if we mess up on the lottery of player purchasing, that is a lottery we won 3 times with Mahrez Vardy and Kante, we can't always find those players. But Seagrave may produce them year after year.

I hope.

Quite a few clubs in the top two divisions have moved into new training facilities or heavily refurbished their existing sites within the last five years. 

Bournemouth notably currently building their own new training ground. The big boys have done things such as Eithad Campus and Spurs Lodge 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LCFCJohn said:

I see both sides of the debate above. Think probably most will agree that the short term future, I.e this season is extremely bleak and personally I think there is very very little chance we stay up and more likely we are in for an embarrassing season ala Sheffield United.

In terms of the medium and long term, have lost confidence in Top so am not particularly confident but at the same time, I agree with @Heskey2011 that there are reasons to be positive if we could suddenly become better managed.

We have a string of young players with a lot of promise that we should focus of getting experience either loaning them to the Championship to be ready for that level or at least getting them significant minutes this season. Look at Sheffield United last season, they blooded players and the one that stands out is Arlbaster who appears to be central to their team this season.

We have:

Alves

Braybrooke

Nelson

Stolarcryz (sp)

Golding

Cannon

All of those should have the potential to be key in the Championship as soon as next season given a chance. Then you have a couple like Marcal and McAteer where the jury is still out in terms of their ability.

Then it becomes can you keep Fatawu and Mavididi. If so, your forward line is sorted. Would Winks stay as an experienced head in midfield?

We will need a manager who relishes playing those young guys and giving them a chance. I did think Cooper was that guy. Pre-season hasn’t really indicated that but we will see. If it carries on my patience with him will go quickly.

Which is why in our current state we should have employed a manager with a remit to rebuild the club around the talented academy players you have named, and a clear pathway to first team football for future prospects, yes it would probably mean relegation this season, but it would be a far better blue print for long term sustainable success than what appears

to be gong at present which appears to be an absolute scattergun approach with little or no strategic thinking. 

The academy will only be successful if we can continually develop and provide good opportunities for players such as Nelson, Braybrooke and Alves, they need to be given genuine 1st team opportunities that will send the message to the rest of the academy players and future prospects and players that their futures are best set with Leicester City and not somewhere else. 

2 hours ago, LCFCJohn said:

Problem is we've got players like Vestergaard on a 3 year contract  I can't see him leaving before it expires.

22 hours ago, Claudio Fannieri said:

Which is why in our current state we should have employed a manager with a remit to rebuild the club around the talented academy players you have named, and a clear pathway to first team football for future prospects, yes it would probably mean relegation this season, but it would be a far better blue print for long term sustainable success than what appears

to be gong at present which appears to be an absolute scattergun approach with little or no strategic thinking. 

The academy will only be successful if we can continually develop and provide good opportunities for players such as Nelson, Braybrooke and Alves, they need to be given genuine 1st team opportunities that will send the message to the rest of the academy players and future prospects and players that their futures are best set with Leicester City and not somewhere else. 

Thing is, in terms of past work, Cooper as is as close as you will get to working with and giving youth a chance. The England U17’s role and was it Liverpool academy? Clearly has credentials in this area.

This is why it’s a bit odd that he hasn’t used them more in pre-season. I have a feeling it is to send the board a message like Maresca and Rodgers did before. Pep does it when he puts less subs rather than use youngsters when he wants signings.

Obviously Rodgers was a petty little goblin and let it get in the way of him remaining the slightest bit professional and from taking any pride in the job. Enzo remained professional, did the job and then gave the middle finger and walked out.

If…and it is if, Cooper chucks the youth players in once the season starts or at least when the window closes, if he is making a statement, I will back him regardless of what happens on the pitch this season as if he is developing our future, he is probably the best option for next season.

We just need to wait and see. The next few weeks will make it clear.

21 hours ago, davieG said:

Problem is we've got players like Vestergaard on a 3 year contract  I can't see him leaving before it expires.

I mean if we are back in the Championship then the likes of a Vestergaard or Coady if they can retain their standards would be fine alongside Nelson. I guess I just meant it doesn’t pick itself like the forward positions might do.

On 14/08/2024 at 21:18, Heskey2011 said:

Have you got owners in mind that you think would be better? can you point at some greener grass?

Sounds like a defensive question to me, there is plenty of people on the planet, there will be someone out there that can do a better job leading the club and investing in it.

Edited by Chrysalis

20 minutes ago, Chrysalis said:

Sounds like a defensive question to me, there is plenty of people on the planet, there will be someone out there that can do a better job leading the club and investing in it.

Plenty of people :giggle: Indeed there are.  How many are billionaires with a desire to throw money at a football club though?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Chrysalis said:

Plenty? Plenty of billionaires, there really isn't. 

It is defensive in that i would rather have our owners than any other owners of any other club.

There's value in having owners who have a connection to the club. If Kasabian went massiver and somehow made a couple billion. Serge would be good but doubt he'd know as much about running a club as what Top does.

So in conclusion, unless there's a billionaire Leicester fan out there, who knows loads about the prem and running massive customer facing businesses, I'd stick with Top and king power.

Can't believe anyone want to risk what we've got for the unknown, I wouldn't want us to be like Chelsea or Newcastle but you maybe do want that?

5 hours ago, Heskey2011 said:

It is defensive in that i would rather have our owners than any other owners of any other club.

There's value in having owners who have a connection to the club. If Kasabian went massiver and somehow made a couple billion. Serge would be good but doubt he'd know as much about running a club as what Top does.

So in conclusion, unless there's a billionaire Leicester fan out there, who knows loads about the prem and running massive customer facing businesses, I'd stick with Top and king power.

Can't believe anyone want to risk what we've got for the unknown, I wouldn't want us to be like Chelsea or Newcastle but you maybe do want that?

And our owners are City fans give over mate! If Top and co cannot take the club further which is evident then it’s time to sell up.

9 hours ago, Heskey2011 said:

It is defensive, the same argument is used to justify keeping managers "but there is no one better".

You simply dont know, and it is defeatist.  We have probably the worst leadership problems right now I have observed during my time following the club which is a period in excess of 20 years.  That is how bad I think things are.

You have set the bar very low if you think there is no improvement out there.  The owner also doesnt need to be a billionaire.

Edited by Chrysalis

3 hours ago, LCFCJohn said:

Look at Wrexham. What do Ryan and Rob know about football? By their own admission, they didn’t even understand football. Rob was interested after Humphrey Ker got him to watch a couple of games. This is the same Humphrey who is an exec with the club despite being nothing more than a very intelligent and football loving person, no career in the sport. They then brought Shaun Harvey who is the one with a career in English football to add that knowledge.

This is what has been interesting about their series. It is a perfect example of owners who have employed the right people, respect the community and fans and have nailed it commercially to give them the competitive advantage and drive them up the leagues.

If Top had the slightest fraction of their intellect and commercial minds, we would not be in the mess we are.

There is a big difference between financing a phoenix rising from non-league to doing that with a Championship/Premier League club.

The competitive advantage you can get by simply having finances to play with at that lower level is huge.

Amazing we've got the telly programme quoters saying look how good wrexham is... after watching their promotional Netflix series. What league is that they're doing brilliant in? We have .....being loyal to owners is just like being loyal to managers, it isn't is it because if it was you could point at one and go I'd like them.

And we have the club has never been rum so badly... we just got promoted, Seagrave Fa cup. Etc etc what do you want? 

I'll help you.. fill in the gaps lads..

I want an owner like.... ( please complete)

Because when thier team got promoted they (please complete).

Football clubs don't make money, businesses people / sports washing enthusiasts don't grow on trees.

@Happy Fox @Chrysalis @LCFCJohn

I suspect and please be honest here, that most of the people desperate for a change in ownership also play Championship/Football Manager and have got very excited in the past by their computers telling them that new owners have bought their club and now they can buy all the Ronaldos and Messis they like.

And don't remember/ have forgotten about administration league 3 days.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Heskey2011 said:

Amazing we've got the telly programme quoters saying look how good wrexham is... after watching their promotional Netflix series. What league is that they're doing brilliant in? We have .....being loyal to owners is just like being loyal to managers, it isn't is it because if it was you could point at one and go I'd like them.

And we have the club has never been rum so badly... we just got promoted, Seagrave Fa cup. Etc etc what do you want? 

Football clubs don't make money, businesses people / sports washing enthusiasts don't grow on trees.

I suspect and please be honest here, that most of the people desperate for a change in ownership also play Championship/Football Manager and have got very excited in the past by their computers telling them that new owners have bought their club and now they can buy all the Ronaldos and Messis they like.

really clutching at straws with some of the points tbf, think people want a change of ownership as there seems to be no accountability for the likes of Rudkin and Whelan, Top probably still thinks they are doing amazing work

the fact we didnt sack Rodgers soon when it was plain to see the direction we was going(obvious from the season before we went down tbf) and its hard to defend. 

and if you think the club is being run well then im kinda shocked, because some of the off field decisions this summer have frankly been shocking and the disconnect between the club and "fans" has never been so big

as for admin days, that was 22 years ago, times have changed since then, and lots has changed in football terms too, 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Heskey2011 said:

This narrative is so out of touch. I don't think anybody here is not grateful for all the success that we've had and achieved some incredible moments we wouldn't thought possible. Most of us will remember the real lows you talked about.

But, we're not talking about 1 bad season, it's been several years of dreadful decisions that have completely undone all that good work. To put this into context, Bournemouth have just spent £40m on a player. That's more money than we ever did which underlines how unfair FFP is yes, but more importantly how utterly incompetent this board is when it comes to managing finances. They're so out of touch; Thai influences on the bus parade, Top making himself the centre of attention for that (which was essentially a correction of a mistake and not something he should ever be celebrating in the manner he did), Forcing people to pay extra to be able to use their season ticket, charging £10 for a bloody friendly game and still making absolutely no changes at board or exec level despite the biggest failure in PL history.

Football has changed and completely sold it's soul after the Newcastle take over so these guys have been completely left behind, and they're hardly squeaky clean ethically.

The longer KP stay, the more sour it will turn which is really sad but that's why they need to go. It's getting to the point that if you're really pro KP, do you really care about Leicester City football club?

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Heskey2011 said:

I must have missed the posts where I have called for a change of ownership but feel free to dig them out if you think they exist 👍

I haven’t called for a change so your little questions are moot. I simply highlighted a couple of areas where yes, I used Wrexham as an example as they have made their workings very public via the series. I am also well aware of the league they are in and the likelihood is we will be playing league games against them next season.

I made two points.

1 - An owner doesn’t need to be a football know it all themselves if they surround themselves with the right people. That is why the Wrexham example was a good one as they by their own admission didn’t even know the sport when they took on the challenge but have good people who do around them. Top has Jon Rudkin….

2 - Maximisation of commercial sense and using this to the advantage of the club. Again, the example I used is a case of them doing this to great effect. Will in continue if they go up again? Who knows. Their USP is the owners themselves. We had a USP in our clubs achievements and absolutely failed to have the commercial sense within the club to take advantage of that to take the club to the next level. And that includes Vichai as well who was still with us for a couple of years after. And before you pipe up, that does not make me ungrateful for what Vichai did for us, just commenting on a missed opportunity.

And by the way, I don’t play football manager and do remember the admin and going down to League 1 etc. However, being a happy clapper and being in the ‘well we were in League 1 for a season 15 years ago so the owners can do what they please’ club doesn’t help anyone!

• Like 1