Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

Leicester City and PSR – Everything you need to know on EFL dispute, player sales, and what next

27 minutes ago, themightyfin said:

By the time we kick off our squad will be significantly weaker thsn the squad that took us down.

Brentford Forest and Fulham Brighton ect that you talk about were  better then ,so I struggle to see how we are better than those teans now who's squads are of similar abilities than the season in which we went down now and we was not good enough then ? 

How many actual premier league standard players do we currently still have who would be in the 25? 

Mads

JJ

Ricardo 

KDH 

Winks

Mavididi 

You could make a case for one or two others but.

The rest would struggle to get into any other  Premier league teams  starting 11.

I highly doubt we will be bringing many of the same standard,in fact we could even lose one or two of those. 

The points deduction will play a massive part.

If we get to a poor start we could be 10 ganes plus into the season before we even wipe out the negative deficit. 

It's vital we come out the traps and pick up points from the off. 

I think we neede to be realistic and get ready to potentially YoYo for a few years.

Relegation was a disaster for the club is still being felt now and will be for a few years yet I feel. 

We really need to take of the blue-tinted glasses abd be prepared to be disappointed. 

It could get messy for a while yet. 

I’m afraid a big chunk of our fanbase are deluded 

however,  if we can carry the confidence of winning te sue through the first couple months then we could give ourselves a fighting chance - bit then the points deduction 

the conversation is of course dependent on recruitment next couple months 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Pliskin said:

The standard of the bottom 8 is pretty dreadful, it has been for years, I still maintain we’re better than Forest, Ipswich, Southampton, Brentford and Bournemouth now….. in fact, I think us (depending on how the points come, when they come, and how we react to them) Ipswich and Southampton stand a chance of staying up together. Because I think Bournemouth, Brentford, Forest and even Fulham could all potentially be that bad….. I’ve got a feeling Brighton will struggle this year too, as I imagine they’re about to be savaged by the top 10 clubs. 

Relegation is wide open for me, we’re just an easy pick because of the potential points deduction. 

Sorry but have to disagree with your assessment.

Forest are a far better team  compared with the team that got promoted. As are Bournemouth.

Brentford have probably peaked as have Brighton but they are both well set up to bring in players as are Fulham.

Ipswich are of course candidates to be relegated and I would think that applies to Southampton but in terms of Leicester the squad isn’t close to what some think in terms of PL and it’s not just about a points deduction it’s about who can be recruited and that without any wiggle room in PSR terms is major concern 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Terraloon said:

Forest are a far better team  compared with the team that got promoted. As are Bournemouth.

Brentford have probably peaked as have Brighton but they are both well set up to bring in players as are Fulham.

Ipswich are of course candidates to be relegated and I would think that applies to Southampton but in terms of Leicester the squad isn’t close to what some think in terms of PL and it’s not just about a points deduction it’s about who can be recruited and that without any wiggle room in PSR terms is major concern 

If it is as bad as some of us fear then we really need to completely clear the decks. I'd much rather us focus as being an ambitious and dynamic EFL team than a punch drunk PL team.

Wages around £30k a week for players who are very much on the up from Scandinavia, Holland, Belgium, Japan, South America etc and the lower leagues of England.

@coolhandfox thinks the wage bill next season should be hugely different to what it was and we have a fair amount to play with. Suppose it all depends what we need to come in at in 24/25 not to breach, we might need to turn a profit somehow.

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

If it is as bad as some of us fear then we really need to completely clear the decks. I'd much rather us focus as being an ambitious and dynamic EFL team than a punch drunk PL team.

Wages around £30k a week for players who are very much on the up from Scandinavia, Holland, Belgium, Japan, South America etc and the lower leagues of England.

@coolhandfox thinks the wage bill next season should be hugely different to what it was and we have a fair amount to play with. Suppose it all depends what we need to come in at in 24/25 not to breach, we might need to turn a profit somehow.

On contracts RIC, many of the old guards wages will have gone back up to pre relegation rates because of promotion as per their contracts.

Relegation ment they took a drop but promotion puts them back on their old wage. 

Promotion will also have cost millions on bonuses built into contracts and add ons in transfers . 

So Wages could still be an issue For a while yet . 

Edited by themightyfin
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

We massively overlook the Japanese market. The 2 players at Cov and Brum were great for them this season (+ Mitoma at Brighton). Yes there’s a question mark over athleticism to compete across a full season but the risk/reward is good, especially when operating on a limited budget. 

Edited by kingpower
  • Like 2

44 minutes ago, Terraloon said:

Forest are a far better team  compared with the team that got promoted. 

A far better team, that if you gave them their 4 point deduction back, still had 2 points less than the previous season and lost 2 more games.

Only thing that kept them up was how shocking the 3 promoted sides were.

They're in decline likely gonna lose key players and poss points deduction too due to PSR like us! Forest will be in a relegation battle again with us and 4 or 5 other teams! 

Siege mentality and strong leadership  required for us and let's battle hard! 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, kingpower said:

We massively overlook the Japanese market. The 2 players at Cov and Brum were great for them this season (+ Mitoma at Brighton). Yes there’s a question mark over athleticism to compete across a full season but the risk/reward is good, especially when operating on a limited budget. 

It's probably overlooked for one reason only.

The standard of J1 league football is rubbish.

The chances of finding a gem in that league are remote to say the least. 

The 2 players you talk about are presumably

Myoshi and Sakamento both of which were playing in Belgium. 

95% of anyone half decent will already be playing in the European leagues somewhere so finding a needle in a haystack in Japan is next to impossible.  

I disagree that our squad is much weaker than the one that went down. The squad that went down shouldn't have gone down in terms of quality, but poor Rodgers mentality was ingrained in the players and staff. We were technically a better team than much of the fodder like Forest who scraped 2 jammy **** results against a doggo Brighton and bottle job Arsenal. Forest are appalling and I think Nuno will struggle. I can see some other teams having bad seasons, we only need to finish above 1.

I would say we have a better keeper, we have a squad including, Ricardo, Justin, Souttar, Faes, Kristiansen, KDH, Winks, Fatawu, Mavididi, Vardy, Daka, Soumare, Coady, plus other youngsters. We have cleared some deadwood and wages reduced by leavers, a new manager with new ideas could work with and make some wise additions to that in key positions, we proved we can hold our own and compete in the cup, the more expensive play possibly suits us countering more like tge saints game. 

The team that went down massively underachiever, some if these players have stuff to prove, it's a reduced group with far less absolute lazy wasters in the squad. I think we could surprise a few, including our own fans it seems! 

• Like 1

Is there any way in which we can avoid getting stung by the EFL if, as likely, we're relegated next season? They've been desperate to hammer us for a decade and it could get really messy in the Championship if they give us a big points deduction and impose a transfer ban. We'll be fighting relegation to League One if we're not careful. To avoid this, am I right that we need to make sure losses are no more than £83m in the 3 year period ending June this year?

4 minutes ago, Foxin_Mad said:

I disagree that our squad is much weaker than the one that went down. The squad that went down shouldn't have gone down in terms of quality, but poor Rodgers mentality was ingrained in the players and staff. We were technically a better team than much of the fodder like Forest who scraped 2 jammy **** results against a doggo Brighton and bottle job Arsenal. Forest are appalling and I think Nuno will struggle. I can see some other teams having bad seasons, we only need to finish above 1.

I would say we have a better keeper, we have a squad including, Ricardo, Justin, Souttar, Faes, Kristiansen, KDH, Winks, Fatawu, Mavididi, Vardy, Daka, Soumare, Coady, plus other youngsters. We have cleared some deadwood and wages reduced by leavers, a new manager with new ideas could work with and make some wise additions to that in key positions, we proved we can hold our own and compete in the cup, the more expensive play possibly suits us countering more like tge saints game. 

The team that went down massively underachiever, some if these players have stuff to prove, it's a reduced group with far less absolute lazy wasters in the squad. I think we could surprise a few, including our own fans it seems! 

When you list what we have as our best it looks even more depressing 

We have lost 

Timmy

Soyunco

Mendy

Ndidi 

Tielemans 

Maddison 

Barnes 

Ect ect and you think our squad is stronger now? 

Really? How? 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, themightyfin said:

It's probably overlooked for one reason only.

The standard of J1 league football is rubbish.

The chances of finding a gem in that league are remote to say the least. 

The 2 players you talk about are presumably

Myoshi and Sakamento both of which were playing in Belgium. 

95% of anyone half decent will already be playing in the European leagues somewhere so finding a needle in a haystack in Japan is next to impossible.  

We should definitely be trying to get the Japan right winger from Bochum on a free Asano. Absolutely rapid. And we need free signings. 

2 minutes ago, Sunbury Fox said:

Is there any way in which we can avoid getting stung by the EFL if, as likely, we're relegated next season? They've been desperate to hammer us for a decade and it could get really messy in the Championship if they give us a big points deduction and impose a transfer ban. We'll be fighting relegation to League One if we're not careful. To avoid this, am I right that we need to make sure losses are no more than £83m in the 3 year period ending June this year?

I think so - yes

i reckon we’re going to take the gamble though - the big question for the board on the loss is go big,  go really big or accept we’re getting relegated next season and meet our obligations by end this June to give us a decent chance of bouncing back again with no sanctions next time on our return. 

5 minutes ago, Bluetintedspecs said:

A far better team, that if you gave them their 4 point deduction back, still had 2 points less than the previous season and lost 2 more games.

Only thing that kept them up was how shocking the 3 promoted sides were.

They're in decline likely gonna lose key players and poss points deduction too due to PSR like us! Forest will be in a relegation battle again with us and 4 or 5 other teams! 

Siege mentality and strong leadership  required for us and let's battle hard! 

Please try reading what I said. “They are a far better team than the one that got promoted.”

Posted (edited)

We often talk about the Premier League being like two leagues playing out because there's such a divide. Next season it'll be more likely three or four leagues!

Your usual clubs fighting it out for the title, the European hopefulls, the mid range lot and then relegation candidates where it's quite possible a target of 15 - 20 points could save you if you have enough of us dwindling on negative points. I can even see Man City on some ridiculous negative start that will be coming at us like a juggernaut but it'll likely take them till after Christmas until they're out of the woods. Absolute carnage! 

Next season will be chaos on levels we've never seen before. In some ways I think this will suit us more rather than other clubs who have been used to consistent seasons for so long and won't be used to experiening performing in a circus quite like us. 

It's certainly going to be interesting. 

Edited by Collymore

19 minutes ago, themightyfin said:

By the time we kick off our squad will be significantly weaker thsn the squad that took us down.

Brentford Forest and Fulham Brighton ect that you talk about were  better then ,so I struggle to see how we are better than those teans now who's squads are of similar abilities than the season in which we went down now and we was not good enough then ? 

How many actual premier league standard players do we currently still have who would be in the 25? 

Mads

JJ

Ricardo 

KDH 

Winks

Mavididi 

You could make a case for one or two others but.

The rest would struggle to get into any other  Premier league teams  starting 11.

I highly doubt we will be bringing many of the same standard,in fact we could even lose one or two of those. 

The points deduction will play a massive part.

If we get to a poor start we could be 10 ganes plus into the season before we even wipe out the negative deficit. 

It's vital we come out the traps and pick up points from the off. 

I think we neede to be realistic and get ready to potentially YoYo for a few years.

Relegation was a disaster for the club is still being felt now and will be for a few years yet I feel. 

We really need to take of the blue-tinted glasses abd be prepared to be disappointed. 

It could get messy for a while yet. 

Will it? Minus Barnes and Maddison who the latter was largely useless that season, and Youri who clearly couldn’t give a **** any more. 

I disagree, we shouldn’t have got relegated. There were issues brewing behind the scenes, but our relegation firmly rests at the hands of Brendan, he wasn’t interested in the project anymore and wanted out, he could have guided that team to safety if he could be arsed, but he he wasn’t arsed and we just ended up with a Mexican stand off of him asking to be sacked, and us not wanting to sack him. I suppose we deserved to go down, but it was completely avoidable. We would have just ended up in a similar situation to Everton and maybe would have had to scramble around in the bottom 8 for a while….

So I don’t think Brentford or Bournemouth were better than us, or Forest, like I said our relegation on my opinion was self inflicted.

And as for going forward, we should be able to do deals provided they’re sensible. It’s clear the club can do deals, we’re in a new financial period so we can make signings but need to make sure we don’t do stupid signings like we have been doing, and handing out ridiculous contracts. 

The points deduction no matter what the media say, will be a max of 8 points. That isn’t insurmountable, with the right managerial appointment, sensible transfers, and the right attitude we can over come the odds. But this has also got to come from the fans too, we’ve been written off many times over the last decade so you’d think we would know by now not to. If there’s anyone capable of the ridiculous, it’s us. 

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, themightyfin said:

When you list what we have as our best it looks even more depressing 

We have lost 

Timmy

Soyunco

Mendy

Ndidi 

Tielemans 

Maddison 

Barnes 

Ect ect and you think our squad is stronger now? 

Really? How? 

Well easy really in that final few seasons, Soyunco was awful, Tielemans unfit, Timmy was never arsed, gave away so many goals, Mendy wasn't really used, Ndidi was poor in the Premier League.

A fit Ricardo is miles better than Timmy, add in a new left back or maybe Kristiansen then we no issue. Winks is better than Tielemans last season because he actually tries, so win there. I liked Mendy but we never played him, I actually think if we played him we don't go down, but we persisted with lazy fat boy for too long last year. 

Obviously Madders is a loss and Barnes, but Fatawu and Mavididi have a lot to prove and are unknowns. 

The squad is leaner yes, necessarily worse? Not sure. Some of these players certainly have a better mentality, tge relegation crew never would have got us over the line, they have bottled it. 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

I think so - yes

i reckon we’re going to take the gamble though - the big question for the board on the loss is go big,  go really big or accept we’re getting relegated next season and meet our obligations by end this June to give us a decent chance of bouncing back again with no sanctions next time on our return. 

I suspect the 23/24 number's will be horrendous by that I mean significantly way above the £13+£35x 2. In other words the EFL upper threshold will be shattered. 
I can’t be arsed to go back to the 22/23 accounts but I think the sale of the likes of Maddison have ready been accounted for meaning little to no player trading profit in 23/24 

1 minute ago, Pliskin said:

Will it? Minus Barnes and Maddison who the latter was largely useless that season, and Youri who clearly couldn’t give a **** any more. 

I disagree, we shouldn’t have got relegated. There were issues brewing behind the scenes, but our relegation firmly rests at the hands of Brendan, he wasn’t interested in the project anymore and wanted out, he could have guided that team to safety if he could be arsed, but he he wasn’t arsed and we just ended up with a Mexican stand off of him asking to be sacked, and us not wanting to sack him. I suppose we deserved to go down, but it was completely avoidable. We would have just ended up in a similar situation to Everton and maybe would have had to scramble around in the bottom 8 for a while….

So I don’t think Brentford or Bournemouth were better than us, or Forest, like I said our relegation on my opinion was self inflicted.

And as for going forward, we should be able to do deals provided they’re sensible. It’s clear the club can do deals, we’re in a new financial period so we can make signings but need to make sure we don’t do stupid signings like we have been doing, and handing out ridiculous contracts. 

The points deduction no matter what the media say, will be a max of 8 points. That isn’t insurmountable, with the right managerial appointment, sensible transfers, and the right attitude we can over come the odds. But this has also got to come from the fans too, we’ve been written off many times over the last decade so you’d think we would know by now not to. If there’s anyone capable of the ridiculous, it’s us. 

It's OK to disagree. 

It's what makes the forum. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, Pliskin said:

Ok the two years 19/20+20/21 averaged have dropped out of the 3 year cycle but the 21/22+22/23 numbers don’t bode well and almost certainly the 23/24 numbers will be way over the £13 million or £81 million over 3 years. There is very little room to manoeuvre 

Irrespective the league table doesn’t lie. 

Edited by Terraloon

6 minutes ago, Pliskin said:

The squad was clearly better than now there is no argument. 

You are talking about form of the star players you speak of and not if they are better players. 

Of course Tielemans Barnes Timmy are btmetter than the options we have now. There form may not have bedn but they were still better players.

And do you really think Tielemans would have bedn signed by a professional Club like Villa if he was nit trying for his club? Not arsed? He's a professional player of course he was trying but like most others his form suffered as we continued to struggle. 

You are also forgetting some of the others that you could argue "couldn't be arsed" give a dam are still here and park kf the reason we got relegated yet you say the squad is better now?.

8 minutes ago, Terraloon said:

I suspect the 23/24 number's will be horrendous by that I mean significantly way above the £13+£35x 2. In other words the EFL upper threshold will be shattered. 
I can’t be arsed to go back to the 22/23 accounts but I think the sale of the likes of Maddison have ready been accounted for meaning little to no player trading profit in 23/24 

Barnes and Timmy were definitely 23/24 plus we get 10 million + For Enzo. FA Cup run prob brings in some. Wages down quite a bit with the departures. The new signings will be over the contract length. I'm not sure it's totally clear cut. We don't really know until we see it but obviously the club with try and take out whatever is possible. I do think there is a reasonable question of if you have had 3 top 10 Premier League finishes and Challenging for Europe why would your business plan include a relegation model? Yes the club made errors on the wage bill, but largely PSR is a massive steaming pile of shit. It also doesn't included the 10% inflation over the past few years. 

If they're going to do anything, why can't they...

A) Let us know what we can do by way of mitigation i.e. how much we need to reduce wages or sell players (granted, the club probably already know this, but not making it public.)

B) Give us the penalty points now, so we know what we're up against. It's only fair to any incoming manager and players. With this uncertainty, it will hamper our ability to recruit.

6 minutes ago, themightyfin said:

The squad was clearly better than now there is no argument. 

You are talking about form of the star players you speak of and not if they are better players. 

Of course Tielemans Barnes Timmy are btmetter than the options we have now. There form may not have bedn but they were still better players.

And do you really think Tielemans would have bedn signed by a professional Club like Villa if he was nit trying for his club? Not arsed? He's a professional player of course he was trying but like most others his form suffered as we continued to struggle. 

You are also forgetting some of the others that you could argue "couldn't be arsed" give a dam are still here and park kf the reason we got relegated yet you say the squad is better now?.

Totally disagree. Obviously a lot of it surrounded the manager being a complete knob.

Tielemans had checked out last season, maybe it's normal, I guess you won't try as hard in case you get injured. It was the clubs fault for allowing that to happen and managers for selecting him, but he was poor. 

I honestly don't get the obsession with Timmy. Ricardo is 10 times the player anyday!

Barnes was good at times as was Maddison. 

I'd argue we had some decent individuals last year, playing as individuals. This season we have a better 'team' 

Ove course we need improving, the manager obviously did a lot of good work on players with poor mentality although there were signs of some still having issues.