Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Lionator

Accounts 22/23

What I can’t get over is the fact the club were considering legal action against others when, in reality that would set precedent for our own **** ups and “unfair” advantage should we achieve promotion.

My Lord, my lords judgement in the case of Everton Fc and Leicester City fc has no bearing here. 

Judge: why ?

De Marco: Well, my client only made that claim without the foresight it would bite them in the ass, My Lord.

Potentially setting the precedent which you subsequently need to avoid is so crazy it’s funny.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Ashley said:

Daka was on €7k - £79k at Leicester 

Soumare €16k - £83k at Leicester

You're telling me that wouldn't have accepted let's say £30k each? 

We aren't genuinely paying Soumare £83K per week are we?!

**** me, there should be a criminal investigation just for that.

1 hour ago, Ashley said:

Holy Christ that’s Peter Griffin levels of negotiation. 

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, SecretPro said:

We aren't genuinely paying Soumare £83K per week are we?!

**** me, there should be a criminal investigation just for that.

was congers involved in identifying these targets (and potentially making contact with their people) ??

18 minutes ago, Lambert09 said:

but it’s very clear he has improved his game drastically.  The fact he now has the ability to turn players so well actually reduces the one footed issue as he’s become a lot less predictable. Before it felt like he’d just tunnel vision bomb towards the left. 

I think he will continue to improve and anyone who gets him for 30m will be very happy with their purchase. 

He’s really under appreciated by our fans overall and I can’t quite work out why that is 

Our academy players get more stick than they they ought to. About a third of this board didn't think much of Barnes

36 minutes ago, Guesty said:

I wrote in an other thread I've worked in two toxic organisations. What's happening here has all the hallmarks of there. Over promoted untalented senior managers - and a CEO who was too nice, buried their heads in the sand and too frightened to make big decisions.. 

Where I worked the senior managers knew they were out of their depth. Their only real skills were taking credit for other peoples achievements and arse covering/kissing. They were quite good at employing other people who's work they could take credit for. But sooner or later they employed someone who wasn't as good as they thought. Then they were in the position of actually having to do their own jobs. And they couldn't. They'd also made it so toxic that anyone with any talent or skill who they now needed had left the organisation.  

When s**t finally hit the fan they made reckless decisions based mostly on self preservation. They cared nothing about the long term future of the organisations. All they cared about was kicking the can down the road because they didn't want to be exposed and they hoped for a miracle. And this is what happens: it reaches a point where the dam breaks. 

Our transfers strategy is so chaotic it's clear our DOF has no strategy. He also blocks any promotion for the likes of Walsh and Macia. Who it's clear now deserve the credit for our old well run club reputation (along with people like Pearson and maybe even Puel). We even had old recruitment staff and data analysts leave under Rodgers because they said they were being ignored. It makes no sense to ignore the people who helped you reach where you are. Unless you're incompetent.

Why on earth knowing the finances are like this and after relegation are we spending the money we are on the likes of Coady and Cannon. It's clearly blind panic. Just like offering Harrison £100k a week in the January relegation season. They're so cowardly/incompetent they let Rodgers bang on about having a s**t squad for months and only told him on the first week of pre-season there was no money.

I have serious reservations about PSR and it needs looking at. Yes, it gives too much protection to the big six. But, it's partly in place for when people like this are running your club. Just imagine running at this big of a loss and your owner dies with no other family member/person willing to fund the club. Then suddenly there's no one footing the bill anymore and you're losing £90 million a year.

Brilliant post :appl:

It joins up the dots and so neatly speaks to what has clearly gone on. 

Was this inevitable after Vichai’s death? In some ways I’m surprised Top - who bangs on about his father’s legacy etc - has overseen this. The culture at the club was often talked about under Vichai, and how we were the cutting edge of scouting, data analytics, physiotherapist etc. And yet it’s been reported many have left. Perhaps I’m naive to think it can’t be that hard to just keep on the straight and narrow, but this suggests a few power hungry and clueless individuals have seized power, broke the model, stopped innovation and advancement and just got giddy with the purse strings.

I don’t see how the current regime can come back from this if I’m brutally honest. There’s also clearly a real lack of self awareness and ownership of this situation - you just have to look at recent statements they’ve put out.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, AKCJ said:

Again, I completely disagree. He's shown up all season and will undoubtedly win Championship POTY if we win the league.

He's been missing for the last 2 months (before turning up Saturday) ! No where near POTY. Madness.

Edited by Chelmofox

6 minutes ago, Durnerz said:

Holy Christ that’s Peter Griffin levels of negotiation. 

Petorian Premier League, here we come

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTxqdG1PJpwHl5-3KJbhlO

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Ashley said:

What does my head in is that they probably did say no to a reasonable-ish wage because they knew the club would bend over backwards to sign them up.

the difficulty we have in getting rid of players is fair indication that our reckless approach to wages is very much our issue - other clubs most probably thought we were mad. The sustainability line was a farce. They’ve set us back years. 

1 minute ago, Mickyblueeyes said:

the difficulty we have in getting rid of players is fair indication that our reckless approach to wages is very much our issue - other clubs most probably thought we were mad. The sustainability line was a farce. They’ve set us back years. 

Are Villa not walking this tightrope now pushing for that CL spot?  Newcastle too arguably. 

1 minute ago, Chelmofox said:

Are Villa not walking this tightrope now pushing for that CL spot?  Newcastle too arguably. 

Potentially,

However, Villa signed proven European talent in Pau Torres, Diaby, Tielemans and Zaniolo.

Newcastle signed Barnes, Tonalli and (risky) Livarmento.

In comparison in our risk season we signed (self confessed) unproven Daka and Soumare. 

The difference with those clubs and us, there is an element of recklessness but ours was a scale or 2 higher simply on the targeted personal. 

12 minutes ago, AKCJ said:

What does my head in is that they probably did say no to a reasonable-ish wage because they knew the club would bend over backwards to sign them up.

May have been others involved which pushed up the price, but surely not to these levels of insanity. It’s like our board are customers in the Harry Enfield ‘saw you coming’ sketch.

3 minutes ago, Mickyblueeyes said:

Potentially,

However, Villa signed proven European talent in Pau Torres, Diaby, Tielemans and Zaniolo.

Newcastle signed Barnes, Tonalli and (risky) Livarmento.

In comparison in our risk season we signed (self confessed) unproven Daka and Soumare. 

The difference with those clubs and us, there is an element of recklessness but ours was a scale or 2 higher simply on the targeted personal. 

Always said Villa were next if and when they are unable to sustain top 4 football. It’s one thing doing it once - which they may do this season - but I’d say almost impossible to do it year after year without the constant income and spending power being top 6 gives you 

39 minutes ago, AKCJ said:

Again, I completely disagree. He's shown up all season and will undoubtedly win Championship POTY if we win the league.

Totally agree. He’s the best player in the league by miles. Carries us most games. He’s a gem. 

33 minutes ago, Wasyls Pec Deck said:

Pure insanity

I would love to hear Rudkin / Whelan / whoever come out and justify these costs.  And i'm not having that these fall into the realms of 'our push for European success' - these deals fundamentally go against how we've done business and been successful in recent years.  To literally pay Daka more than x10 what he was previously on is a ****ing disgrace.  Man's got a boot like a hexagon.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Wasyls Pec Deck said:

Always said Villa were next if and when they are unable to sustain top 4 football. It’s one thing doing it once - which they may do this season - but I’d say almost impossible to do it year after year without the constant income and spending power being top 6 gives you 

I think CL is an absolute must for Villa this year or they could potentially be a fire sale next summer for them. Theyve consistently spent high for a number of years. 

The thing is though, like Wolves, if they trigger a fire sale, they'll get a decent amount back. Because of the targeted personal. We've let ourselves down by paying rubbish extortionate amounts. The calculated risk of spending more is then subsequently turned into an uncalculated risk by spending it on a "risky" player (appreciate every player/signing is a risk but some are more than others). 

It seems to be a comment said often but we've really been incompetent on all levels for 2 plus years. Top to bottom. Its staggering. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BenTheFox said:

Do you know what the worst part of all of this is? If they had come out in the summer of 2021 and made it clear that finances are tight and that we'd have to cut our cloth accordingly with a big player or two and that we need to run a tight ship until we've exapnded the stadium and increased revenue by other means, I'm sure most of us would have accepted it and appreciated the transparency and would have altered our expectations accordingly. Most of us would take finishing say 13th in the premier league instead of 5th-8th if it meant that the club was on a stable footing. I'm not saying any of this with the benefit of hindsight, I genuinely would have respected it. Instead we ended up with a £90 million net spend and an even more inflated wage bill when we had sellable assets with the likes of Tielemans, Ndidi, Fofana, Maddison, Barnes and Soyuncu. 

1000%.