Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

39th Premier League Game is back?

6 minutes ago, Heathrow fox said:

Did they ever get round to finding a solution to this obvious flaw the last time this was mooted?

Not to my knowledge, the only way I think it could work is if it were 2 games per club in the US against the same team. There are problems with this too though as in order for the games to be additional you need an extra 2 clubs and then you're back to a 42 game season.

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Trent Steel said:

I can't see this ever happening in the next 10+ years.  I don't want it anyway would be a joke.

If anyone wants this then they really need to take a hard look in the mirror. Probably would be the American owned clubs that want this anyway 

Will never happen I'm sure

If you'd asked me 2 years ago, I'd have said the same but the welfare (?...Welfare?....we're not ****ing horses, but you get what I mean...'Regard' is perhaps a better word) for fans, proper fans, local, homegrown, week to week, hardcore fans, I feel is below rock bottom, they don't give a fuck, they'd rather spit on us.

This will happen, sooner, rather than later.

Edited by Matt

29 minutes ago, Foxmeister said:

Not to my knowledge, the only way I think it could work is if it were 2 games per club in the US against the same team. There are problems with this too though as in order for the games to be additional you need an extra 2 clubs and then you're back to a 42 game season.

25 minutes ago, Paninistickers said:

Wasnt it you play the team immediately above/below you?

The playing the team below/above you sort of makes sense if any sense can be made of this.It still blows a hole in the integrity of the league.For example the 20th placed club could be a Derby with the rest of the teams divided by goal difference..I just thought the whole thing was a toe dipping exercise.

2 hours ago, Sampson said:

I don’t think it’s happening anytime soon but I could easily see it in reality in 15-20 years time. 

The nation state as a concept is on pretty limited legs imo and dunno if it’ll see out this century. Easy to see sport being completely supranational by the 2nd half of the century 

Not wishing to go too far off topic but I think it odd that the nation state is supposed to be on notice yet more Regional autonomy is demanded which in a way is micronational. Going back to the 39th game surely damaging to the integrity of the competition but hey ho greed rules.

11 minutes ago, Heathrow fox said:

The playing the team below/above you sort of makes sense if any sense can be made of this.It still blows a hole in the integrity of the league.For example the 20th placed club could be a Derby with the rest of the teams divided by goal difference..I just thought the whole thing was a toe dipping exercise.

Even that would give an advantage when teams dramatically improve or deteriorate. Spurs fans would have lost their minds in 2016 (ok so they did but it would have been worse).

47 minutes ago, Foxmeister said:

Even that would give an advantage when teams dramatically improve or deteriorate. Spurs fans would have lost their minds in 2016 (ok so they did but it would have been worse).

Could easily end up with at least eight dead rubbers with a couple of teams fighting for Euro Conference qualification.

1 hour ago, Gamble92 said:

Making 8 changes for a Tuesday night cup game has too much of an affect on players but flying half way across the world to play one match doesn't? Good luck explaining that one assholes

Klopp: "Scrap the cup replays". 

Flies the next day to the Saudi Arabia of Butchers and New York. 

• Thanks 1

If FIFA drop the " must play at home" rule, then watch the money obsessed big six instantly sell out to the highest bidders, likely to be Saudi murderers.

The corruption in FIFA literally knows no bounds and personally l would discount nothing with those crooks.

• Like 3

I can't see the 39 game season happening as there is no possible way to do it without someone getting some sort of advantage. 

Teams playing a fixture over there voluntarily, however? I can totally see that. 

On one hand, I can see yanks pushing for it but on the other I really don't think they understand just how ingrained and tribalistic football is to our culture. 

Could see groups of fans just blocking a team bus from parking.

• Like 1

It seems to me most English football fans dont realise the wonderful options they have. Most supporters have an alternative local  club that they can support. (Even at several levels in the pyramid.)

Lets be honest, we are all glory supporters, choosing the big club ahead of the local.

Eventually the "epl" will become international  (or a super league) and your local club will be the future.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Heathrow fox said:

Could easily end up with at least eight dead rubbers with a couple of teams fighting for Euro Conference qualification.

I assume it would have to be based on the previous season's positions? How could they compile the fixture list otherwise? Is the suggestion all these games are played in 1 match week? The more answers I get the more questions I have.

Can't ever see this actually happening. 

And thankfully, it is unlikely to be us anyway that plays in it. 

It'll pretty much always be one of the big six plus Newcastle or Villa who are bigger in US. 

12 hours ago, urban.spaceman said:

Football needs rescuing from the charlatans that currently own it.

Agreed. I hate this idea but can see us being one of the first. But now realise I hate the prem and everything to do with it.