Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

39th Premier League Game is back?

What I don’t understand is why a ‘39th’ game? 

If the teams want to do this - and of course they do - then why not take a home game from every Premier League team?

Mean, it’s not that difficult to envisage - and then you have not just one round of fixtures but TWO! 

Find a workable spot in the football calendar across the first half of the season and host 10 fixtures across Asia (assuming it’s not monsoon season).

Then find another slot for the second half of the season - where you go and put on 10 Premier League fixtures across the US (again weather permitting).

Just now, goose2010 said:

Will be community shield in America within the next 5 years then the league cup final then FA cup final and then eventually a league game.

It's inevitable unfortunately 

Community Shield aside, you have to go regular season game first, you don’t provide a market with your Crown Jewels event at the first point.

Note what the NFL have done in the opposite direction with their ‘football’ - that’s the model the Premier League will no doubt be trying to follow.

On a side note, I could see a Super Bowl being played over this side of the Atlantic - because that event ground hops in the US anyway.

BUT given the Community Shield, EFL Cup and FA Cup are all ran by the FA who has it’s own vested interests in hosting these at Wembley - these finals may not be as moveable as you think.

9 minutes ago, DJ Barry Hammond said:

Community Shield aside, you have to go regular season game first, you don’t provide a market with your Crown Jewels event at the first point.

Note what the NFL have done in the opposite direction with their ‘football’ - that’s the model the Premier League will no doubt be trying to follow.

On a side note, I could see a Super Bowl being played over this side of the Atlantic - because that event ground hops in the US anyway.

BUT given the Community Shield, EFL Cup and FA Cup are all ran by the FA who has it’s own vested interests in hosting these at Wembley - these finals may not be as moveable as you think.

Other European leagues moved their cup finals to the Butchers, Influencers and Content Creators. It's going to be a cup final first, league games will follow. 

37 minutes ago, Fear Of The Fox said:

Other European leagues moved their cup finals to the Butchers, Influencers and Content Creators. It's going to be a cup final first, league games will follow. 

The leagues that have done this so far with their ‘finals’ don’t have the commercial pulling power of the Premier League.

They could not sell a whole round of league fixtures (10 games!) to a foreign market, so they have to make do with a single ‘premium’ fixture.

The Premier League could - look how much Amazon are paying just to show two separate rounds of football! 

Also, as I mentioned and you failed to notice - the Premier League does not directly control the cup competitions or it’s commercial rights - so it really has no interest in any of those finals being held abroad.

The Premier League does, however, have a huge interest in getting the ‘39th game’ concept off the ground to help protect itself against the threat of an European Super League.

Being able to host a round of 10 fixtures abroad - that guarantees the participation of both Manchester clubs, Liverpool, Arsenal, Spurs, Chelsea etc, etc, etc - would represent eye watering new commercial revenue opportunities, much more than a single ‘cup final’ would represent - and would ensure those clubs would wish to remain part of an English football cartel for at least the next couple of decades. 

The FA (that does control the cup competitions) on the other hand, have never been as commercially aggressive as the Premier League and will be much less inclined to want their showpiece finals being held abroad. 

It would also be comparatively expensive for whoever wanted to buy the hosting rights of our cup finals, because the FA make revenue from these themselves via Wembley.

That’s why in terms of the game in this country - a strong case can be made to say it will be league games to go abroad as a package first rather than our show piece finals*.

* Charity Shield does not count.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, DJ Barry Hammond said:

If the teams want to do this - and of course they do - then why not take a home game from every Premier League team?

Mean, it’s not that difficult to envisage - and then you have not just one round of fixtures but TWO! 

Find a workable spot in the football calendar across the first half of the season and host 10 fixtures across Asia (assuming it’s not monsoon season).

Then find another slot for the second half of the season - where you go and put on 10 Premier League fixtures across the US (again weather permitting).

Think the idea of a 39th game is that nobody is being robbed of a home game, it’s entirely additive to the current 38 game schedule, so does not disrupt the home/away balance.

I do expect this will happen, and probably quite soon. It’s an idea almost as old as time at this point, and now someone has presumably bunged FIFA a suitable amount of cash, some of the final roadblocks are perhaps out the way now. To be honest, the only surprising aspect could be if it goes to the US before it goes to Saudi Arabia, in the current climate. 

Get ready for the mental gymnastics of the So Called Big Six trying to both justify how the very lucrative 39th game is both not a problem for them at all, but also a massive problem for them and their players who face “ridiculous” demands to play matches all over the world. Oh those poor unfortunate souls, forced to compete in four competitions… if only there was a way to reduce the burden!

Can Arsenal do it on a cold rainy Tuesday night in Detroit? Let’s find out! 

So let me understand this, for years they have been whingeing we playing too many games.

Now they want to add an extra league game played over the Atlantic.

This breaks a fair amount of sporting integrity as well, as we have right now a play each team once home and away in place.

If this gets voted in, it will be greed over common sense.

On 12/05/2024 at 04:54, lookwhaticando said:

Think the idea of a 39th game is that nobody is being robbed of a home game, it’s entirely additive to the current 38 game schedule, so does not disrupt the home/away balance.

So what happens when 17th club has 1 point lead, they are drawn man city, and 18th place club is drawn a weak team with nothing to play for, then they swap position.  The relegated team had to play man city 3 times.

On 11/05/2024 at 18:28, DJ Barry Hammond said:

This is actually much better than doing a 39th game.  Still not great, but nowhere near as stupid as the 39th game.  As it ensures you still only play each team twice.

1 hour ago, ForestAreMagic said:

Forest v Leicester in San Diego.  The Californians would lap it up 😍

What will happen though, the greedy six will drag the whole league over there then demand the lions share of the money because more fans will want to watch them than matches like Leicester v notts, or palace v wolves ect… Meaning all the smaller clubs will have all the hassle and disruption of something only ever put in place to benefit the greedy six, and all for a pittance in comparison. 

5 hours ago, Chrysalis said:

So what happens when 17th club has 1 point lead, they are drawn man city, and 18th place club is drawn a weak team with nothing to play for, then they swap position.  The relegated team had to play man city 3 times.

They’d probably go Scottish style and split the league up to avoid such scenarios… not for any competitive balance reasons, but because you could have So Called Big Six games to be played in major venues, and the Others can be played elsewhere…

Chelsea Liverpool in New York; Arsenal Tottenham in Los Angeles; and Palace Everton in Gary, Indiana. 

On 10/05/2024 at 21:58, Daggers said:

People need to boycott the game. 

Fvck all changes until they do. 

Home supporters will ….. I’m not flying to the  US to watch a game. 

You’ve only got to look at the NFL games that were played at Wembley. I turned up to watch one and had no idea what was going on.

It was full though, as it was meant to be a spectacle. The most boring sports match I’ve ever attended.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 11/05/2024 at 18:28, DJ Barry Hammond said:

They will do. I’d imagine Chelsea or Arsenal will effectively drop the home time between them and go and play it somewhere like the MetLife Stadium (New Jersey / New Jersey).

East Coast - Easy / shorter flight times from the UK. 8ish hours? 

Close to a major City - Easy to get tourists attending. 

Decent capacity - 82500, would be a sell out like it has when previous Premier League teams have played friendlies. 

Temperatures / climate aren’t that different to the UK at the right time of year. 

• 1 month later...

Game has truly gone, my only hope is that it ends up being one of the greedy 7 that is affected rather than the rest of us.

Could see a scenario where 4th-7th in the PL go out and play a sort of playoff tournament to decide CL/Europa spots.

• Like 2

Just now, Number 6 said:

Game has truly gone, my only hope is that it ends up being one of the greedy 7 that is affected rather than the rest of us.

Could see a scenario where 4th-7th in the PL go out and play a sort of playoff tournament to decide CL/Europa spots.

The mentioned Birmingham v Wrexham, proposed for America, is a League One fixture. I think every club with owners who want more money are in danger of this.

1 minute ago, Fox92 said:

The mentioned Birmingham v Wrexham, proposed for America, is a League One fixture. I think every club with owners who want more money are in danger of this.

It will be very weird if something like that does end up being the first. I guess people who aren't actually interested in the sport itself would go to pay for the media circus. Maybe less pushback from the fans too as they want the cash injection.

1 hour ago, Number 6 said:

So tiresome when the greedy in the game chase more cash

• Like 1