Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

39th Premier League Game is back?

10 hours ago, HybridFox said:

The community shield doesn't have to be played at Wembley imo. It becomes burdensome for the FA Cup winning team to have played there 3 times in a short space of time. If there's one game I'd be open for moving away it's that but no league fixture should ever be taken away from its respective home ground

How does playing at Wembley become burdensome? 

• Like 1

My problem with the 39th game isn't it's location. It can't be fair... regardless of where it's played! 

4th and 5th placed team batting it out for the last CL spot, 4th play 3rd whilst 5th play 6th... How is that fair on the team in 4th? Situations like that will happen up and down the table. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Chelmofox said:

How does playing at Wembley become burdensome? 

Travelling for the fans who aren't based in London, particularly the Northern clubs. FA Cup semi final, FA Cup final and Community Shield within a fairly short space of time.

There is the obvious argument not to have the FA Cup semi finals at Wembley which is the most sensible solution. The alternative is to move to the Community Shield to other neutral grounds and it has been played elsewhere in recent years. 

I'm not in favour of any matches being played abroad but just saying it would be the lesser of evils for something like the Community shield (where attendances do dwindle) than a 39th game which could actually ruin a season (and club)

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Clever Fox said:

While I totally agree with you my point was the if it did turn out to be a decisive game all the Uk Fans ST and Fans wouldn't want to miss it. So the logistics of moving 140k fans would be enormous.

Not to mention the us fans who also would want to attend      It just seems a daft and not very well taught out idea.

it’s pure money grabbing. Bigger sponsorship deals and tv money for ONE game, yet as you say regular season tickets holders will likely miss out..

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HybridFox said:

Travelling for the fans who aren't based in London, particularly the Northern clubs. FA Cup semi final, FA Cup final and Community Shield within a fairly short space of time.

There is the obvious argument not to have the FA Cup semi finals at Wembley which is the most sensible solution. The alternative is to move to the Community Shield to other neutral grounds and it has been played elsewhere in recent years. 

I'm not in favour of any matches being played abroad but just saying it would be the lesser of evils for something like the Community shield (where attendances do dwindle) than a 39th game which could actually ruin a season (and club)

Move it out of London to where? Manchester, Newcastle? Then it's more travelling for the Southern clubs. You're never going to satisfy everyone. 

Wembley is the nation's ground in the capital City, of course it should host all finals. Plus the allocation is much bigger than any neutral ground. If you move it to Villa Park, for example as that's middle of the country, (and Villa Park is my favourite ground so I'm not knocking it here) it's half the size of Wembley. So that's about 20k fans of each club which isn't big enough. I was lucky enough to attend both our FA Cup and Community Shield finals at Wembley, I wouldn't want that same experience taken away from any match going fan (especially of those clubs who don't always get to finals). If you're playing at Wembley, going to Wembley, then you're following a successful club and that is not "burdensome".

I don't think it should host semi-finals, however.

Edited by Fox92
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, HybridFox said:

Not buying that - sorry. For the top clubs there is more demand than supply for FA Cup tickets. If we beat Chelsea and got to the Semi's, even with the member points i was on i bet i couldn't have got a ticket for me and the family. Community Shield offers another chance to see your team at Wembley if you are down the points tier.

• Like 1

There was an American poster on here being incredibly rude and confrontational about this and was forthright in saying American owners wouldn't do anything like this. 

I'd love to hear their take on two of the most high profile American owners actively trying to undermine the fans and league structure within weeks of said poster suggesting otherwise.

20 hours ago, Wymsey said:

Why change the traditional concept, as the Premier League is a very successful business.

It’s all about markets.

The Premier League has the UK market largely covered and there’s little if any growth opportunities here.

However, whilst it currently gains significant revenue from oversees markets as well, they could probably at least 10x that amount by holding just one official league game in those markets.

It’s the exact same strategy that the US Sports have been following by taking their games to Europe / Mexico / Asia.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, sylofox said:

So after 38 games 17th and 18th are separated by goal difference. But game 39 is in Tokyo and Perth Australia.for both sides.

Or one of them is home and the other is in Tokyo.

How the fvck can they be played at the same time. What happens if a games abandoned through weather.

I seriously am getting fvcked off with the prem. This really will be the final nail for me.

😆 🤣  boxing day in Bangkok 

It wouldn’t be the literal 39th game. 

It would be in the midst of the season just like NFL, MLB and NBA do 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Fox92 said:

Move it out of London to where? Manchester, Newcastle? Then it's more travelling for the Southern clubs. You're never going to satisfy everyone. 

Wembley is the nation's ground in the capital City, of course it should host all finals. Plus the allocation is much bigger than any neutral ground. If you move it to Villa Park, for example as that's middle of the country, (and Villa Park is my favourite ground so I'm not knocking it here) it's half the size of Wembley. So that's about 20k fans of each club which isn't big enough. I was lucky enough to attend both our FA Cup and Community Shield finals at Wembley, I wouldn't want that same experience taken away from any match going fan (especially of those clubs who don't always get to finals). If you're playing at Wembley, going to Wembley, then you're following a successful club and that is not "burdensome".

I don't think it should host semi-finals, however.

...and they might not be all the same fans depending on allocations attendance stats

1 hour ago, Chelmofox said:

Not buying that - sorry. For the top clubs there is more demand than supply for FA Cup tickets. If we beat Chelsea and got to the Semi's, even with the member points i was on i bet i couldn't have got a ticket for me and the family. Community Shield offers another chance to see your team at Wembley if you are down the points tier.

Don’t think we sold out either of our charity shield matches? Even with it on general sale which apparently allows the hundreds of thousands of city fans to access matches. I agree, a flexible approach to the charity shield host venues sounds good, this coming from someone who didn’t qualify for a ticket to the cup final in 2021. There’s no way Man U v Man City should at Wembley in august, pointless exercise other than to grab money 

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, foxes_rule1978 said:

To make more money 

Generate a new competition, play friendlies or whatever, moving a league game is the most farcical thing I have heard off.  It would potentially make me quit watching league football.

1 hour ago, CosbehFox said:

It wouldn’t be the literal 39th game. 

It would be in the midst of the season just like NFL, MLB and NBA do 

I suppose they would have to have the last games played in the uk.

But the other way round. You've not been in the prem for years if ever. Your opening game is at man u. It gets picked and is then in Thailand.

50 minutes ago, grobyfox1990 said:

Don’t think we sold out either of our charity shield matches? Even with it on general sale which apparently allows the hundreds of thousands of city fans to access matches. I agree, a flexible approach to the charity shield host venues sounds good, this coming from someone who didn’t qualify for a ticket to the cup final in 2021. There’s no way Man U v Man City should at Wembley in august, pointless exercise other than to grab money 

Not really think about the journey for all the man u fans traveling from Cornwall.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, sylofox said:

I suppose they would have to have the last games played in the uk.

But the other way round. You've not been in the prem for years if ever. Your opening game is at man u. It gets picked and is then in Thailand.

It would be middle of the season. Opening day games already have a monetary notion to them - it's sell-outs galore and good coverage on TV abroad. Somewhere like Thailand wouldn't work with the weather too at that time of year. NBA, MLB and NFL all do it middle of the season but they also have quirks in their scheduling which allow it and them schedules already were skewed. 

See I don't think it works still the 39th game idea because when you look a bit closer - it's not going to heaps of cash or increase interest. The big clubs will but everyone else loses out. They will end up doing an international series if anything whereby it's a game once a season. The American sports work on these international games because there is no comparable competition. Even NBA which does wouldn't think go into mainland Europe (Paris games weren't that successful) because there's a highly respected European super league. 

International fans are knowledgable far more now. MLS has grown partly organically a decent competition which can attract really interesting prospects from South America. The folk in the US won't over for also-rans and you'll see this in the summer when teams like Wolves and West Ham are playing each other, that they won't be sold out.

The PL abandoned their own Asia Trophy and the friendlies we saw LCFC in last summer were sparely attended, even when including Liverpool/Spurs. There isn't a lot of actual money to be had in South East Asia. Japan/Korea may be yes but they have mature domestic leagues. 

The US will have issues with stadium availablity where all football based stadiums will be in the midst of their season and they won't hand them over easy. So you into baseball arenas or soccer specific stadiums which goes back to that - why watch Bournemouth, when you can watch your own local team. 

The PL and the club owners might try but in do so, it's a huge misunderstanding of how global football is. 

Edited by CosbehFox
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, grobyfox1990 said:

They didn't. Man City and Liverpool fans said they enjoyed the Shield at LCFC - no excuse not to freshen it up. 

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, CosbehFox said:

It would be middle of the season. Opening day games already have a monetary notion to them - it's sell-outs galore and good coverage on TV abroad. Somewhere like Thailand wouldn't work with the weather too at that time of year. NBA, MLB and NFL all do it middle of the season but they also have quirks in their scheduling which allow it and them schedules already were skewed. 

See I don't think it works still the 39th game idea because when you look a bit closer - it's not going to heaps of cash or increase interest. The big clubs will but everyone else loses out. They will end up doing an international series if anything whereby it's a game once a season. The American sports work on these international games because there is no comparable competition. Even NBA which does wouldn't think go into mainland Europe (Paris games weren't that successful) because there's a highly respected European super league. 

International fans are knowledgable now for starters. MLS has grown partly organically a decent competition which can attract really interesting prospects from South America. The folk in the US won't over for also-rans and you'll see this in the summer when teams like Wolves and West Ham are playing each other, that they won't be sold out.

The PL abandoned their own Asia Trophy and the friendlies we saw LCFC in last summer were sparely attended, even when including Liverpool/Spurs. There isn't a lot of actual money to be had in South East Asia. Japan/Korea may be yes but they have mature domestic leagues. 

The US will have issues with stadium availablity where all football based stadiums will be in the midst of their season and they won't hand them over easy. So you into baseball arenas or soccer specific stadiums which goes back to that - why watch Bournemouth, when you can watch your own local team. 

The PL and the club owners might try but in do so, it's a huge misunderstanding of how global football is. 

Yeah right ho. It was said part in jest. But as we are getting all serious about it.

All games kicked off at 3pm on a Saturday with midweek games Tuesday Wednesday. Now games 7 days a week. All fa cup games kicked off at 3pm Saturday with replays mid week. The final was always the last game of the season with a 3pm kick off.

All of this has changed for TV money. Once it's allowed to happen it will keep evolving because of money. It also won't stop at one game. It will definitely be 2 a season so every round has a fixture away.

All the arguments for we play tomany games. 💰 and oh look let's add a game and take the teams to the other fvcking side of the planet.

Plus the Money might be split fairly to start with. Then the selfish 6 will want the greater amount saying they are the ones earning the bulk of the money.

If allowed to happen you can say goodbye to football as its never going to be one game.

9 minutes ago, sylofox said:

Yeah right ho. It was said part in jest. But as we are getting all serious about it.

All games kicked off at 3pm on a Saturday with midweek games Tuesday Wednesday. Now games 7 days a week. All fa cup games kicked off at 3pm Saturday with replays mid week. The final was always the last game of the season with a 3pm kick off.

All of this has changed for TV money. Once it's allowed to happen it will keep evolving because of money. It also won't stop at one game. It will definitely be 2 a season so every round has a fixture away.

All the arguments for we play tomany games. 💰 and oh look let's add a game and take the teams to the other fvcking side of the planet.

Plus the Money might be split fairly to start with. Then the selfish 6 will want the greater amount saying they are the ones earning the bulk of the money.

If allowed to happen you can say goodbye to football as its never going to be one game.

Majority of my post wasn't aimed as any reply to yours btw other the immediate point.  

It may well happen - if it does I don't think it will be as successful as the PL think 

2 hours ago, Chrysalis said:

Generate a new competition, play friendlies or whatever, moving a league game is the most farcical thing I have heard off.  It would potentially make me quit watching league football.

And me