Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
simpmeister

Sammie Szmodics - signed for Ipswich

1 minute ago, Fox85 said:

Regardless he was the leading scorer by a stretch in the championship last season.

He knows where the back of the net is.

Which none of our strikers do atm.

Bar Vardy who is broken for 6 months 

Has that been, officially, confirmed?

There's some big Ifs regarding us, Szmodics and our rumoured targets. IF we're genuinely in for Ayew at 4mill and IF we're getting Zaha circa 8mill for a years loan and IF Blackburn are going to sell for the reported 9mill that Ipswich have offered them I think a deal should definitely have been looked at. However IF the above rumours and fees are bullshit then it's all moot at this point. 

Not sure it’s about value…more can we afford him? So many players linked very few signed, then it’s a loan deal with options, that goes pear shaped,suggests it’s financial, nothing else…..I have already said, we are not an attractive proposition right now….

He is a natural goal scorer and works hard closing down - if his goal contribution was above 10 and help kept us up it is more than worth the fee plus he is really motivated and like Vardy is blossoming in his peak years - no brainer despite what some believe as he will prove a lot of people wrong ! I would rather spend £9m on him and make sure we can afford two or three more which we need as a minimum !

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Edingleyfox said:

Leicester probably won’t buy him because he is unproven in the Premiership. The Sun quoted £8.5 million plus add ons for goals and survival etc..I’ve been impressed with him 

I don’t believe Rovers will sell him for less than £15m but we will see I guess 

Sometimes simply following the hot hand (or feet in this case) can prove beneficial, especially with strikers.

That said - I wouldn’t be certain that this guy is a one hit wonder either.

If you look over his career to date, he’s clearly someone who has shown the desire, ambition and application to climb the footballing ranks and appears to be continuing on an upward trajectory in terms of performance - so why would you bet against him being a success in the Premier League?

He’s also directly showed us his quality in no uncertain terms in our last home game of last season - so given all that - I’m a little surprised we haven’t shown more serious interest - especially as in terms of making a deal this would appear to be an easier one to make happen and get over the line quickly.

2 minutes ago, DJ Barry Hammond said:

Sometimes simply following the hot hand (or feet in this case) can prove beneficial, especially with strikers.

That said - I wouldn’t be certain that this guy is a one hit wonder either.

If you look over his career to date, he’s clearly someone who has shown the desire, ambition and application to climb the footballing ranks and appears to be continuing on an upward trajectory in terms of performance - so why would you bet against him being a success in the Premier League?

He’s also directly showed us his quality in no uncertain terms in our last home game of last season - so given all that - I’m a little surprised we haven’t shown more serious interest - especially as in terms of making a deal this would appear to be an easier one to make happen and get over the line quickly.

What makes you say that?

He had a great season last year so you’d think he’d have plenty of clubs clamouring for his signature, yet he’s still at Blackburn.

2 hours ago, wignalll2007 said:

If he’s seriously available for 9 million, he’s better value than Ayew that’s for sure! 

💯.  I saw him at both our games v Blackburn last season and thought he looked the part.  Ok he may not be a world beater but I'd take him over ayew all day long.  

2 minutes ago, Marshall Cockney Fox said:

The lad knows where the net is. Daka however has net blindness and a club foot. I know who on current form I'd rather have a sitter fall to.

I don't mean to burst that bubble, but in 250 club games, Daka has scored 98 goals 

Szmodics in 357 club games has scored 110.

That's not exact net blind Vs clinical finisher is it? 

16 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

Szmodics scored a goal every 0.62 goals last season. Daka every 0.58. The difference was pretty negligible, Szmodics just got more minutes. 

Daka's assists per game were much much better too. 

If Daka had played the same number of minutes as Szmodics and continued scoring at the same rate he'd have scored 25 goals last season. 

image.jpeg.8bec98921dd9a4188ee5784bc4faae2d.jpeg

7 minutes ago, Realist Guy In The Room said:

What makes you say that?

He had a great season last year so you’d think he’d have plenty of clubs clamouring for his signature, yet he’s still at Blackburn.

I just think if your Leicester, Ipswich or Southampton and go in for him in a manor of “we want you!” - Blackburn don’t have much they can do in terms of resisting that move and so it then just becomes a case of negotiating a price with them.

His age no doubt puts clubs off - because ‘resale value’ - and there’s probably only a narrow number of clubs that could really consider him as a viable transfer target (lower end of Premier League / higher end of Championship).

But because there’s less competition for his signature, that should somewhat be reflected in the transfer fee paid and makes it less likely that the player holds out for another deal ala Soule.

So I look at this as a transfer as one that if a club wanted to do and set their focus on; it could have been done early pre-season with all the benefits of doing business early brings with it. 

22 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

Real talk for a second. When people stop throwing unnecessary and, to be quite honest, excessive abuse at our own players without justification based on what's essentially trend then I'll stop defending them. 

It's not just Daka. He's not my favourite player. I wouldn't describe Patson Daka as even in my top five current city players. But I've been through this with Iheanacho, with Maddison, with a number of other players that just get needlessly turned in to punch bags to a degree that goes well beyond reasonable criticism or light banter. 

I'd love to be able to come in to these threads and not see them full of people making juvenile digs at not just one of our own players but one that contributed pretty ****ing well last season, a season where we won the league. 

I like Daka, mainly because he is our player, he makes effort and statistically is doing ok, even if people get bent out of shape about their (all seeing) eye test, but even this pales into insignificance next to the Vestergaard feeding frenzy tbh.