Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
simpmeister

Sammie Szmodics - signed for Ipswich

We definitely need another striker. Vardy is injured already and only scored 3 goals in his last PL season. Daka looks bereft of confidence. Cannon has 1 minute of PL experience. Szmodics has no PL experience either and would be a gamble, but if we do get shat straight back down, at least we'll then have a striker that we know can score goals in the Championship. 

• Like 1

Just now, whoareyaaa said:

Over his career 1 goal every 3 games.

Fair enough, sorry, did not bother checking.Last season was his best I believe, and our recent willingness to shop at age concern should not rule it out, yet I fear cost will.

He does tick both 10 and striker boxes, so…

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Dahnsouff said:

Fair enough, sorry, did not bother checking.Last season was his best I believe, and our recent willingness to shop at age concern should not rule it out, yet I fear cost will.

He does tick both 10 and striker boxes, so…

And like the other poster suggested if we do go down at least we will have a ready to go goal scorer, we was about to spend 20m on Souje I would rather take a punt on Szmodics

Edited by whoareyaaa

4 minutes ago, whoareyaaa said:

And like the other poster suggested if we do go down at least we will have a ready to go goal scorer, we was about to spend 20m on Souje I would rather take a punt on Szmodics

Would not pay 20m for him not going to lie, and there was a reason we would pay the sort of figures mentioned for Soule and we weren’t alone.

8m seems reasonable too me.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Dahnsouff said:

Would not pay 20m for him not going to lie, and there was a reason we would pay the sort of figures mentioned for Soule and we weren’t alone.

8m seems reasonable too me.

I didn't suggest we should pay 20m, can't really grumble at a price between 10 - 15m esp when his wages wouldn't be huge and if he manages to chip in with goals keeping us in the league then the transfer fee becomes irrelevant 

Edited by whoareyaaa
  • Like 1

Just now, whoareyaaa said:

no basis behind this thinking

Just gives me billy sharpe vibes. Good at that level but not the step up. But also billy sharpe scored far more consistently that he has until end of season before and last season.

That said, might be worth while if it wasn’t a crazy fee

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, teblin said:

Just gives me billy sharpe vibes. Good at that level but not the step up. But also billy sharpe scored far more consistently that he has until end of season before and last season.

That said, might be worth while if it wasn’t a crazy fee

15m is not a crazy fee when we paid over the odds for many other players like Soumare, Praet, Perez, Daka etc

6 minutes ago, Dahnsouff said:

Only personal opinion behind both, so no difference.

Well stats do come into it a bit its not like we are buying a player with 4 goals or a bad career, obviously its a bit of gamble but what player isn't 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, whoareyaaa said:

15m is not a crazy fee when we paid over the odds for many other players like Soumare, Praet, Perez, Daka etc

Overpaying (allegedly) is not the sort of habit we should continue with though. I like him, but it’s a risk,

2 minutes ago, Dahnsouff said:

Overpaying (allegedly) is not the sort of habit we should continue with though. I like him, but it’s a risk,

I wouldn't say 15m is over paying but yea it is a risk but a risk worth taking imo, esp with him having his best season last time out and with the potential of us being relegated. 

Edited by whoareyaaa

13 minutes ago, whoareyaaa said:

Such an easy decision with where we are at

it’s not. He’s had ONE good season in the championship and has been fairly average in the CHAMPIONSHIP otherwise,  why people think he’ll  be good for us in the premier league, I’ll  never know…

Just now, MPH said:

it’s not. He’s had ONE good season in the championship and has been fairly average in the CHAMPIONSHIP otherwise,  why people think he’ll  be good for us in the premier league, I’ll  never know…

Imagine if we thought that about Vardy

The worry I have with Szmodics is that the season he has just had is very much not the norm for him

I don't think we should be spending £10-15m+ on someone who will turn 29 next month as well - we have enough older and experienced players in the squad, we should be focusing on younger players

image.png.11c6cca329ff104d8d452b1250e40e1c.png

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, whoareyaaa said:

Imagine if we thought that about Vardy

took Vardy a couple of seasons to get up to speed didnt it? 

we don’t have that luxury with a 29 year old and us already going to be fighting for premier league survival- we can’t spend 10-15 million on a 29 year old and wait until he’s 31 to come good.

Edited by MPH
  • Like 1

Just now, MPH said:

took Vardy a couple of seasons to get up to speed didnt it? 

we don’t have that luxury with a 29 year old and us already going to be fighting for premier league surviva- we can’t spend 10-15 million on a 29 year old and wait until he’s 31 to come good.

No reason he won't come good next season, he will either thrive or not, it's a gamble but a gamble we should be looking at given we are fishing in a different pond and need to stay up and goals are what will keep us up

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, moore_94 said:

The worry I have with Szmodics is that the season he has just had is very much not the norm for him

I don't think we should be spending £10-15m+ on someone who will turn 29 next month as well - we have enough older and experienced players in the squad, we should be focusing on younger players

image.png.11c6cca329ff104d8d452b1250e40e1c.png

He's had a season where everything he touched went in, paying those sums just isn't the one for no proof of this form carrying on. 

• Like 1