Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
simpmeister

Sammie Szmodics - signed for Ipswich

Comparisons between Szmodics and any of our players are ridiculous considering we won the league and Szmodics played in one of the worse teams in the division yet still scored 27 goals.

Szmodics has only really had one good goalscoring season in the Championship, last season, I'd like to see if he could replicate first before bidding big for him. I'm not bothered if he goes to Ipswich.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Fox92 said:

Comparisons between Szmodics and any of our players are ridiculous considering we won the league and Szmodics played in one of the worse teams in the division yet still scored 27 goals.

Szmodics has only really had one good goalscoring season in the Championship, last season, I'd like to see if he could replicate first before bidding big for him. I'm not bothered if he goes to Ipswich.

Isn’t he 29??

Waiting to see if he can replicate it just puts him one year nearer to past his best (and he hasn’t got many left)

I’d say the only time to buy him is now, and although I’m not massively keen I’d rather sign him than continue to hope that Vardy / Daka / Cannon is a Premier league strike force

Edited by 5waller5
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, 5waller5 said:

Isn’t he 29??

Waiting to see if he can replicate it just puts him one year nearer to past his best (and he hasn’t got many left)

I’d say the only time to buy him is now, and although I’m not massively keen I’d rather sign him than continue to hope that Vardy / Daka / Cannon is a Premier league strike force

I'd rather look elsewhere then. I don't want us taking a chance on the back of one good season, especially given the money involved.

1 hour ago, 5waller5 said:

Isn’t he 29??

that he's 29, and last season was the first season he'd ever scored more than 15 while mostly pottering round league one and league two (his two other championship seasons had a combined 11 goals from 70) does point pretty massively towards a one season wonder and not worth it tbh

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Fox92 said:

He's scored 3 in 2 so far, so a good start. I think this would be a signing less based on resale value and more helping us stay up. I don't think for a second we're in for him though.

6 minutes ago, Genesis1 said:

He's scored 3 in 2 so far, so a good start. I think this would be a signing less based on resale value and more helping us stay up. I don't think for a second we're in for him though.

Against Derby and Stockport County! Thinking this lad is going to make the step up from that to the PL is a massive reach by those who want him here. 

It would be a gamble we can't afford to get wrong IMO. 

19 minutes ago, Groby_Blue said:

Against Derby and Stockport County! Thinking this lad is going to make the step up from that to the PL is a massive reach by those who want him here. 

It would be a gamble we can't afford to get wrong IMO. 

Whoever we purchase up front will be a gamble - no one would have bet on Vardy achieving what he has similar to Toney - for me IF he is available for anything less than £15m we should be looking at him as alternatives will cost way more I expect £20m+ - every £m we can keep back means we can bring another player in and we need another 4 or 5 at least…..

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, Old Fox said:

Whoever we purchase up front will be a gamble - no one would have bet on Vardy achieving what he has similar to Toney - for me IF he is available for anything less than £15m we should be looking at him as alternatives will cost way more I expect £20m+ - every £m we can keep back means we can bring another player in and we need another 4 or 5 at least…..

Hit the nail on the head. How does anyone know he won’t make the Premier league! 

1 minute ago, wignalll2007 said:

Hit the nail on the head. How does anyone know he won’t make the Premier league! 

On that basis we should sign anyone on the basis that they might be good enough.

• Like 1

In the scheme of things not sure that £10 m on Szmodics is such as gamble as his wages would be on the lower side compared to ex Premiership players. Anyway be very surprised if it happens. Would rather spend £10m on Hamer (again before Ipswich do) because I think that central area is a massive weakness and I am assuming Hlozek goes ahead.

Edited by Edingleyfox

I don't care about his age, he's currently in world class form, has clearly carried this form on from last season, regardless of opponents, anyone who knows football can tell this guy has something a bit extra. His finishes are natural, stylish and he can also link play. I don't care about his previous seasons where he was on the wing or a number 10, he is currently one of the hottest strikers around and someone is bound to take a punt on him. Players like Ivan Toney, Vardy were late bloomers, Drogba was bought at 26, Ian Wright at 26, it's not a necessity to be a teenager and break onto the scene,.some players just blossom later. 

I'd put money on Smodzics being a hit wherever he goes, he's a good footballer and will easily fit in on the prem.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Webbo said:

On that basis we should sign anyone on the basis that they might be good enough.

Well yeah every signing is a gamble and not guaranteed to do well, but sometimes players from lower divisions just need a chance.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Foxy_jim said:

Well yeah every signing is a gamble and not guaranteed to do well, but sometimes players from lower divisions just need a chance.

But we don't have an infinite amount of money. Better to spend the money we do have on a player we think has a better chance of succeeding.

Maybe the club will be proven wrong he's a world beater and the guy they sign is flop but they have to go with their own best judgement. 

1 hour ago, Fox92 said:

I'd rather look elsewhere then. I don't want us taking a chance on the back of one good season, especially given the money involved.

Was he not playing in Midfield before Rovers moved him into the forward position last season ?

14 minutes ago, Foxy_jim said:

I don't care about his age, he's currently in world class form, has clearly carried this form on from last season, regardless of opponents, anyone who knows football can tell this guy has something a bit extra. His finishes are natural, stylish and he can also link play. I don't care about his previous seasons where he was on the wing or a number 10, he is currently one of the hottest strikers around and someone is bound to take a punt on him. Players like Ivan Toney, Vardy were late bloomers, Drogba was bought at 26, Ian Wright at 26, it's not a necessity to be a teenager and break onto the scene,.some players just blossom later. 

I'd put money on Smodzics being a hit wherever he goes, he's a good footballer and will easily fit in on the prem.

Your definition of world class doesn’t match most people’s. He’s never scored against a top defence in his entire career. 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Foxy_jim said:

World class form??

Behave yourself 😂😂

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, CosbehFox said:

Your definition of world class doesn’t match most people’s. He’s never scored against a top defence in his entire career. 

He scored against Newcastle last season not a lot of data but still lol we could say the same about any striker that hasn't played in the Prem or top leagues.

For some players it just clicks one year. The way your own team plays, giving that individual more freedom and good coaching. I don’t think it’s just form… a whole season is more than that, I think he just hit his stride. I think he’s no more risk than most other signings from overseas and quite frankly he’d settle in quicker with the squad. Unfortunately age isn’t on his side but for either ipswich or ourselves he’s guaranteed to be a useful player next year if we went down, whereas jordan ayew is just going to be another weight around our neck 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Finnegan said:

Szmodics scored a goal every 0.62 goals last season. Daka every 0.58. The difference was pretty negligible, Szmodics just got more minutes. 

Daka's assists per game were much much better too. 

If Daka had played the same number of minutes as Szmodics and continued scoring at the same rate he'd have scored 25 goals last season. 

Why do you persist with this?

He played nearly 4000 minutes to Dakas 1095

If Daka continued scoring at the same rate?

Daka couldn’t even maintain his form in the small sample size of minutes, hence he was dropped after 0 goals in his last 6 starts.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, wignalll2007 said:

And in our experience the players making the step up or so called unknown players are the ones who seem to do better.

55 minutes ago, Webbo said:

He’s not just anyone though Is he, he’s a player who is banging in goals left right and centre. Something that we desperately need!