Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
simpmeister

Sammie Szmodics - signed for Ipswich

2 hours ago, TommyK said:

Not sure why Blackburn would consider selling him for so little amount of money. If they can persuade the player to stay they'll be better keeping. 

I think you've answered your own conundrum, there..

5 hours ago, TommyK said:

Not sure why Blackburn would consider selling him for so little amount of money. If they can persuade the player to stay they'll be better keeping. 

Are you considering 20 mil a little amount of money? This is the sort of money KDH is being touted to go for. Blackburn can barely fill 50% of their stadium. If they are lucky to get anywhere near 20 mil they would bite anyone’s hand off. 

5 hours ago, Jobyfox said:

People always raise Vardy as an example, but rarely is that a useful reference point. That’s simply because Jamie is the exception that breaks almost any rule. 

I’d like to sign SS if he was available for £5-6m as he might just be useful at Premier League level. We’re not in a position, however, to take too many risks in the transfer market and I would be very nervous about investing upwards of £10m in a 29 year old, Championship, forward.

If someone else stumps up £15m and he’s a success I’d think that’s fair play. I just don’t think LCFC are that club who can risk that sort of money at the moment 

Spot on.

10 hours ago, Chelmofox said:

Are you considering 20 mil a little amount of money? This is the sort of money KDH is being touted to go for. Blackburn can barely fill 50% of their stadium. If they are lucky to get anywhere near 20 mil they would bite anyone’s hand off. 

No I was talking about 7-10m being talked about by numerous posters

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, TommyK said:

No I was talking about 7-10m being talked about by numerous posters

I actually think 10 mil is decent value. One very good season but still a team who were one defeat away from relegation.  No Prem credentials and very little resale opportunity at his age. If Szmodics fancies a go of it in the Prem, does he really need his club putting unrealistic price tags on his head? Can he afford to wait one more season to make that move?

I fully expect to hear in a few months that West Ham buy him for 25 mil. 

Edited by Chelmofox

Aside from the goals he's scored this season in his less preferred position, I haven't seen a great deal of Szmodics.

But, if attacking midfield is his preferred position AND he's capable of finishing (which he's proven), surely it's only the defensive side of his game that is in question as to whether he could slot in at #8.

As a #9, he could (in theory) be perfect. If he's adept at linking up (as an attacking midfielder) as well as finishing, then it seems to me that he ticks a lot of the boxes Maresca wants from a centre forward in this system.

Also, with all the questions regarding his age, it does seem silly to compare him to Vardy as the man is absolute freak, but if Szmodics can help secure PL football, maybe we only need him to be at the top of his game for two or three seasons anyway. At that point he would have more than paid off his transfer fee.

4 minutes ago, ALC Fox said:

Aside from the goals he's scored this season in his less preferred position, I haven't seen a great deal of Szmodics.

But, if attacking midfield is his preferred position AND he's capable of finishing (which he's proven), surely it's only the defensive side of his game that is in question as to whether he could slot in at #8.

As a #9, he could (in theory) be perfect. If he's adept at linking up (as an attacking midfielder) as well as finishing, then it seems to me that he ticks a lot of the boxes Maresca wants from a centre forward in this system.

Also, with all the questions regarding his age, it does seem silly to compare him to Vardy as the man is absolute freak, but if Szmodics can help secure PL football, maybe we only need him to be at the top of his game for two or three seasons anyway. At that point he would have more than paid off his transfer fee.

What is his injury record like?  I like your reasoning about 2 or 3 seasons if Sammie can stay fit

From what i have seen of him he works hard off the ball and has been clinical this season. If you remember he scored at Elland Road when they won 1-0 during the weekend that we lost at Bristol. One chance, one nil,  exactly the kind of player we need next season who is bang in form. if  you remember in the league cup last year both him and Tyrhys Dolan caused havoc when they pressed our back line

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Jobyfox said:

People always raise Vardy as an example, but rarely is that a useful reference point. That’s simply because Jamie is the exception that breaks almost any rule. 

I’d like to sign SS if he was available for £5-6m as he might just be useful at Premier League level. We’re not in a position, however, to take too many risks in the transfer market and I would be very nervous about investing upwards of £10m in a 29 year old, Championship, forward.

If someone else stumps up £15m and he’s a success I’d think that’s fair play. I just don’t think LCFC are that club who can risk that sort of money at the moment 

I'd argue the position we're in means that's exactly what we'll have to do. Take risks. It's the sort of risks we take that are up for debate. 

Do you go for young and totally untried like a Fatuwa, or do you sign someone older who has done it in a league closer to our own, but with less sell on upside. 

I'd also rather consider the whole rather than the individual. If we signed 7 players and 6 of them were up and coming with potential sell on, and one wasn't... that's more palatable. 

I

• Like 3

Posted (edited)

I guess the worry is why did it take him so long to hit the heights of last season ? he changed position and said he is a changed player.. 

and what a season!   around 10/ 15 milion id give him a go @ 28 /29 he could be a late bloom vardy..

Edited by jamfox

I don’t think you can justify a £20m plus price tag. Especially not based on one season. 

However, putting that to one side. His attitude, arrogance, style of play and he quite clearly thrives on being an underdog. I would say he fits the bill of a “Leicester City player. Be great if he had that season in the last year of his contract though!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Babylon said:

I'd argue the position we're in means that's exactly what we'll have to do. Take risks. It's the sort of risks we take that are up for debate. 

Do you go for young and totally untried like a Fatuwa, or do you sign someone older who has done it in a league closer to our own, but with less sell on upside. 

I'd also rather consider the whole rather than the individual. If we signed 7 players and 6 of them were up and coming with potential sell on, and one wasn't... that's more palatable. 

I

You don't take £20m + risks on soon to be 29 year olds though that haven't ever played at this level and have one season of end product in a completely different system to what we play.

We shouldn't be paying £20m for any player this summer unless they have phenomenal potential or have excellent pedigree at the highest level. 

I can't recall the last player we signed of similar age or older for a large fee that did do well for us and that's players with a track record such as Slimani, Perez, Silva etc.

I suppose Ulloa is a similar profile to Szmodics in a similar age category but given the financial issues we have and our failures in the transfer market, I really hope we are stricter in our strategy.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

You don't take £20m + risks on soon to be 29 year olds though that haven't ever played at this level and have one season of end product in a completely different system to what we play.

We shouldn't be paying £20m for any player this summer unless they have phenomenal potential or have excellent pedigree at the highest level. 

I can't recall the last player we signed of similar age or older for a large fee that did do well for us and that's players with a track record such as Slimani, Perez, Silva etc.

I suppose Ulloa is a similar profile to Szmodics in a similar age category but given the financial issues we have and our failures in the transfer market, I really hope we are stricter in our strategy.

Unless part of that fee somes in the form of a Danish GK we are struggling to offload? and a 'young' LB too?

39 minutes ago, MPH said:

Unless part of that fee somes in the form of a Danish GK we are struggling to offload? and a 'young' LB too?

Player exchanges seldom happen anymore because of the way transfers are accounted for. 

If you sell a player you bank all the transfer fee (less any outstanding book value) in the year of sale and when you purchase a player you spread that equally over the length of the contract. 

What you could I suppose agree is we buy Szmodics for £20m and they buy Thomas for £3m and Iversen for £2m.

For the 1st financial year we'd be £1m in profit that way (if he signed a 5 year deal). But then we'd book out £4m every year in years 2-5.

It wouldn't be advantageous to Blackburn to take both players in a swap deal as they bank less in the year of sale.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Player exchanges seldom happen anymore because of the way transfers are accounted for. 

If you sell a player you bank all the transfer fee (less any outstanding book value) in the year of sale and when you purchase a player you spread that equally over the length of the contract. 

What you could I suppose agree is we buy Szmodics for £20m and they buy Thomas for £3m and Iversen for £2m.

For the 1st financial year we'd be £1m in profit that way (if he signed a 5 year deal). But then we'd book out £4m every year in years 2-5.

It wouldn't be advantageous to Blackburn to take both players in a swap deal as they bank less in the year of sale.

yeah i totally get it about swap deals and the complexity of it all..

I just feel like we might have to get  a bit creative this window to get some people in ( and out)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, MPH said:

yeah i totally get it about swap deals and the complexity of it all..

I just feel like we might have to get  a bit creative this window to get some people in ( and out)

I think a bulit of what I've described may have happened with Maddison and Winks. Scratched each other's back to get the deals we both wanted done and sensibly.

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

I think a bulit of what I've described may have happened with Maddison and Winks. Scratched each other's back to get the deals we both wanted done and sensibly.

Agree I thought this at the time suited both parties to pay as little as possible with the difference being the key factor, what with the sell on fee for Maddison to Norwich being a factor etc. another Rudkin masterclass? 😆

Edited by Reginaldo

11 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

Where did I mention £20m? The OP specifically stated £10m+.

What the papers say Blackburn want isn’t what I’m discussing.

1 hour ago, Babylon said:

Where did I mention £20m? The OP specifically stated £10m+.

What the papers say Blackburn want isn’t what I’m discussing.

Misunderstanding, the article says they want £20m + for him and that is a complete no no.

• Like 1

20 million is too much. If we could get him for 10 million or less I think he'd be an asset for us. He's still 8 years younger than Vardy who's supposedly getting a new deal lol You don't score 30 goals as as attacking midfielder by fluke. He knows where the onion bag is. 

Posted (edited)

No chance of this happening given our financial situation. I'm fully expecting a summer of free transfer has beens like 03/04.

Edited by Walshy5
  • Like 1