Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
David Hankey

Premier league clubs to vote on scrapping VAR

3 hours ago, Groby_Blue said:

I think Arsene Wenger had the best idea for the offside rule, basically if any part of the attacker's body is level, he's onside (so the same as the 'clear daylight' theory). 

Interestingly, it's being considered for next season. 

https://economictimes.indiatimes.com/news/international/us/ifab-considering-offside-rule-change-that-arsne-wenger-recommended-what-is-the-rule-and-how-it-will-impact-football/articleshow/105318582.cms?from=mdr

The way VAR is dealing with offside is ridiculous. Remember when we were told it would lead to more goals being allowed? The exact opposite has happened and they are actively looking for a reason to rule goals out. 

lots of goals last season well above the average, and the two seasons prior beat the average since the greedy league was formed 

With the latest video technology and software (potentially with AI), so long as VAR is used for ofside decisions only, it should be possible to give virtually instantaneous feedback to the referee without any further human intervention. It is the conservative nature of the governing bodies that insist on this half cocked system with VAR assistants sitting looking at screens, drawing lines and then relying their own flawed assessment. Other offences (handball etc) should be left solely to the referee.

On 17/05/2024 at 16:38, Koke said:

If VAR hadn't been there, it would have been a valid goal because the players were level.  One of VAR's specific purposes is to disallow goals like that, and Coventry's in this year's semi-final, goals which would have been perfectly valid under the old (post 1990) rules and which are still valid at Championship level.  

The solution is easy.  Stop drawing lines across the pitch.  Accept that "level" is still a concept, and VAR reviews of offside last 5 seconds of looking at a still photo.  If the VAR man can't see in 5 seconds that the linesman is wrong, then the linesman is right by definition.

And they can stop faffing about with toes and heads and parts of the arm, too.  In an Olympic Games final they don't assess whose fingernail or eyebrow crossed the line first, they just go off the torso.  Linesmen where there is no VAR don't assess arms and toes and heads, they go off the torso.  Let VAR apply the same rules.

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...
Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, Sir Steve Howard said:

19:1, what an absolute disaster. Turkeys voting for christmas.

Fair play to Wolves

Basically a waste of time then ?

Bit of a pointless vote .

Wonder what changes will be made if any ?

Only use it for factual decisions maybe 

Edited by Super_horns

1 minute ago, Matt said:

Let’s hear of no wittering and moaning from managers next season then, surely clubs would have consulted managers to take their opinions on board.

Also Forest hated it that much that they decided to vote in favour of it

• Haha 4

What complete utter w@nkers.  The very people that have voted to keep it will be moaning about it and threatening appeals to decisions next season.  Where has OUR game gone?  Ffs

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, MPH said:

much less mistake that before VAR was about. 

but it needs improvement.

And here was me thinking the system of a ref and two linos that we had for 130 odd years worked perfectly ok.

I blame frank lampard personally.  His non goal for England in 2010 started all this technology b0ll0cks.😂

Edited by rugbyblue
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, rugbyblue said:

And here was me thinking the system of a ref and two linos that we had for 130 odd years worked perfectly ok.

I blame frank lampard personally.  His non goal for England in 2010 started all this technology b0ll0cks.😂

After auditing they found that before VAR, 84% of decisions were correct, after VAR was introduced that went up to 96% of decisions being correct. So there's still room for improvement.

2 minutes ago, MPH said:

After auditing they found that before VAR, 84% of decisions were correct, after VAR was introduced that went up to 96% of decisions being correct. So there's still room for improvement.

Im not disputing the stats....to be fair, I couldn't give a toss about the stats.....it's ruining the flow of the game and sucking the passion out of the game, especially goal celebrations.  I can live with the odd poor decision by a human, even if it's against my team.  For every one that goes against you, one will go for you at some point down the line.  

It's great for rain man types who can't sleep at night unless the correct decision has been made but for the average Joe, we just want the game to be played as it was invented to be played. 

• Like 1

Just now, davieG said:

That's not the main bone of contention though the procedure to produce a few less mistakes is an enjoyment sucking monster. 

Many of the improvements that have been made to the laws have seemingly made it worse for the fans, players and managers who are often puzzled by the decisions that have taken minutes to conclude.

i'd disagree with that.  i think when matches are won or lost on a bad decision,  one place difference the prem now can be worth millions of pounds. one bad decision could cost even more if you factor in that this one place can effect you qualifying for european competition and thus millions more. its a massive bone of contention considering  the amount of money that's in the premier league, unfortunately.

It's not the only bone of contention, that's for sure.  and the enjoyment factor is a bone of contention definitely...

So How can we improve VAR instead of just throwing it out of the window, would be my response to that?

1 minute ago, rugbyblue said:

Im not disputing the stats....to be fair, I couldn't give a toss about the stats.....it's ruining the flow of the game and sucking the passion out of the game, especially goal celebrations.  I can live with the odd poor decision by a human, even if it's against my team.  For every one that goes against you, one will go for you at some point down the line.  

It's great for rain man types who can't sleep at night unless the correct decision has been made but for the average Joe, we just want the game to be played as it was invented to be played. 

So how can we improve on that, would be my response instead of just throwing it out of the window?

They're continually talking about keeping the game flowing like the none flagging of offsides but the biggest time wasters are VAR and Refs with their nitpicking set ups of freekicks even stopping players taking quick ones when in sight if goal the complete farce of substitutions.

Then there's the lack of consistency and ignoring many details of the laws if the game. Such as players preventing freekicks being taken quickly, obstruction by players not in control of the ball particularly with ensuring a goalkick, added time many others.

1 minute ago, MPH said:

So how can we improve on that, would be my response instead of just throwing it out of the window?

I'm not being dismissive or rude, everyone is entitled to an opinion but I simply don't care about improving it.  I don't want it, never have.  Not everything has to be perfect or tick a box. As I said, I can live with human error in the heat of the moment.  

I'll leave it there, let's agree to disagree 

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, MPH said:

The auditing is a panel set up by the PL though.

I'm not saying those stats are wrong, but any statistics can be twisted to support a viewpoint. Some of the 96% being correct I imagine is probably using the old 'interpretation of the law/rule' cliche, so they can argue the decision is correct, but if it went the other way, they would also argue it to be correct.