Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
David Hankey

Premier league clubs to vote on scrapping VAR

44 minutes ago, Chelmofox said:

Didn’t see the incident. Would it have been an incident where it wasn’t overruled because of the clear and obvious error rule? But again, if all that’s being is a slow mo then the term ‘blatant pen’ is still subjective, especially if it’s to overrule the infield decision.  Clear and obvious decision is too subjective in my opinion. 

It was a penalty that was missed by the ref for various reasons. Either his view was blocked at the time or he's a rubbish ref or he's corrupted. So a video replay steps in to fix all the above. The clear and obvious is a myth, it's a term which was invented to mask even further their incompetence. Again the officials using this video replay didn't overturn the decision. 

Who is to blame then, the tech or the people using it?

• Like 1

Won't happen unfortunately. It naturally will benefit the better teams more as they score more and VAR makes conceding a scruffy goal from a corner less likely so they won't vote for it. 

How many times does VAR change a decision from a correct decision to a wrong one? Usually the mistake is that the ref got it wrong,and VAR didn't correct the Refs incorrect decision.

The non-penalty at man u tonight, corrupt refs in the past would just say 'I didn't see it'... its about time the var was called out, as there is no excuse for not giving that tonight. If you don't like the incompetence of these guys looking at replays, you will hate the decisions in real time!

Ultimately, the refs want the control to influence the games like the good old days!

It was introduced to remove errors from the game. It hasnt done that.

Football is not a video game, it is played, managed and refereed by humans who are fallible and their fallibility is part of what makes the game great.

Surely noone, outside the most delusional Leeds fan, believes that referees cheat. They make errors like defenders, goalkeepers and strikers do, those errors may change games in a massive way or not at all, but with every error comes another opportunity and the game flows and the fans enjoyment is increased.

If you want VAR styled games... go watch Esports, im sure playstation offer some great matches.

• Like 3

VAR itself is not all bad but its implementation has been extremely poor.

Can we not keep VAR but restrict it to very limited cases:

- whether the ball crosses the line (this should be non controversial)

- whether there was a handball in the box (but the implementation needs to be backed up by common sense and none of this slow mo crap).

Given the way it has been done, I love VAR to not touch offsides. Ideally, it still can but only when it is plain and obvious not like what they are doing now with their hairline measurements.  Everyone has forgotten that the attacker is meant to be given the benefit of the doubt and the rule is really there to prohibit players hanging about at the opposition goal.

And definitely none of this slow mo review for whether there is penalty. Leave that to the Ref real time.

Well after experiencing both var and non-var over the last two seasons I overwhelmingly want rid of it. I hate not being able to celebrate spontaneously after a goal. I accept bad decisions will happen but var takes away so much of the enjoyment of the game.

• Like 3

Posted (edited)

think last night showed why alot are against VAR atm imo

the foul on gordon that was a stonewall penalty yet VAR doesnt even give it; thats what VAR is there for ffs

the people in the ground are totally left in the dark whats going on, only told a VAR check is happening, 

and even then you see the people doing it and you think, "jesus that idiot couldnt work a microwave let along VAR"

think most like the idea of VAR but the way its used etc outweigh the whole thing;

Edited by FrankieADZ

16 minutes ago, Phenom said:

Other leagues around the world have had successful implementations with more transparency. The PL is just behind. The refs have too much power.

The refs have too much power?????

They are supposed to have power and be in charge of the game.  They have always been in charge of the match.  That's as it should be.  I despise var with a passion and whist refs aren't perfect, In fact some are downright poor, I believe that 99.9% of them are honest, in this country at least (conspiracy theorists- kindly f**k off before you start).  I can live with an honest mistake.  It's always been a part of the game. As someone said earlier var takes more away from the game than it adds, especially as a match going fan.

• Like 2

VAR will never work, too many decisions are subjective. How well it’s implemented is irrelevant as you will always have the situation of not being able to fully celebrate goals because there will always be that doubt of if it’s going to be disallowed, and it will continue to kill that moment of euphoria that the game is essentially about. Even if you get every decision right if you can’t celebrate a goal properly the game is dead.

• Like 4

VAR for offsides is fine and it’ll be quicker next season when it’s semi automated. It prevents onside goals being disallowed. Removing that from top level football would be a backwards step.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, RowlattsFox said:

Now it's been here l don't think you can get rid of it, especially if noone else does. 

If one league scraps it, others may follow ?

Could just take one league to do it and you get a domino effect 

I detest the way VAR is deployed in the English game but scrapping technology because the operator is incompetent seems a bit Luddite . The technology should deploy where a clear and obvious mistake has been made by the on field officials whilst ruling out otherwise good goals after 3/4 minutes playing with lines because of a fractional offsides is what makes people despair 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Vlad the Fox said:

Prem fans groups need to make themselves seen and heard this weekend. Send out a message to the authorities and their clubs. 

Any club voting in favour of VAR is voting against their own fans.

• Like 1

I genuinely don't know what's for the best.

As far as the fans are concerned, it'll make no difference regarding perceived standards of refereeing -  people will whinge just as much without it.

11 minutes ago, Matt said:

Any club voting in favour of VAR is voting against their own fans.

Apparently Liverpool is one which is surprising!

It’s been too subjective which is why it’s not popular with players and managers .

And fans don’t like it as the system takes too long and poorly communicated at games .

Mind you they will still moan about poor decisions if it scrapped - that won’t stop !t