Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
David Hankey

Premier league clubs to vote on scrapping VAR

12 hours ago, Paninistickers said:

You could bet the mortgage on it. Whelan wants to be 'one of them'..

Lizard

Don't think Wheelan would get much of a say tbh, but we would definitely support it to cosy up to the big boys and the league. Lapdogs.

14 hours ago, Vlad the Fox said:

Can UFS and foxes trust put pressure on the club to vote to scrap it?

This season has been a joy to watch matches without it. I don't see anything in the statements from wolves or the Premier league that addresses the fact that it massively diminishes the enjoyment of the match for fans. Kills the euphoria of scoring goals.

We're the paying customers after all. 

The Trust actually have a chap who's consulted within the FSA regards VAR. They don't shout about it enough and the bloke who does that role is very decent and I am sure would push for the best outcome. 

12 hours ago, Paninistickers said:

You could bet the mortgage on it. Whelan wants to be 'one of them'..

Lizard

Think Whelan is too harshly judged on here. There's certainly more humility to hear than a number of others elsewhere at the club. 

• Like 3

If they don't scrap it at least bring in a completely fresh team of professionals to operate it. Our officials are incapable of working it and potentially stitching up their mate who's the on field referee. I'd bin it altogether but this would be acceptable 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, pkonline said:

The current version of VAR is terrible and fans lose out.

Back to drawing board and design a proper VAR system that is quicker, involves the fans in stadium, and is used for specific decisions only.

Clear & Obvious Underpinning principle

And a time limit, maybe 60 secs max & if not accept original decision

IT CAN'T Totally slow the game down

From last summer:

https://www.statista.com/chart/30699/public-opinion-of-var/#:~:text=According to survey data from,has made the game fairer.

So the question should be why UK is so low compared to others.

Statistically it makes for better decisions - but there are definite improvements to be made - especially in the UK it seems.

Would be bonkers to remove technology totally IMO.

9 minutes ago, Super_horns said:

Till it goes against them ..

The same **** managers players and fans who moaned at and blamed referees for everything and demanded technology be implemented, now do the very same thing at the Var operators.  Some people just whine and make excuses. I've ranted enough about var now so I will stop but I really really hate it and it needs to go!

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Koke said:

It's not like life before VAR was wonderful. There are less bad decisions now than pre-VAR.

I can cope with refs making a mistake in real time though. It's the bad decisions despite them spending 5 minutes watching replays. 

10 hours ago, ozleicester said:

Surely noone, outside the most delusional Leeds fan, believes that referees cheat. 

do you not remember Italian football in the mid 2000s? some refs absolutely do cheat. var doesn't fix that mind because it's the same refs behind the screen and protecting their mates 

1 hour ago, ourla said:

From last summer:

https://www.statista.com/chart/30699/public-opinion-of-var/#:~:text=According to survey data from,has made the game fairer.

So the question should be why UK is so low compared to others.

Statistically it makes for better decisions - but there are definite improvements to be made - especially in the UK it seems.

Would be bonkers to remove technology totally IMO.

I’m surprised how high those numbers are. Would be interested to know what percentage of those polled were match-going fans. 
Statistically it may make for more correct decisions overall but it is at the expense of atmosphere and the enjoyment of a match. 
asking if it has made the game fairer is a bit of an odd question. If you believed refs are biased towards the big clubs with their decision making then allowing a biased ref from the same group to judge as VAR is surely no different. 
I want the system gone but if it has to stay then a time limit of 30seconds to assess and overrule decisions if necessary should be applied. That way we don’t have the long wait between celebration and disappointment. 

3 hours ago, Sol thewall Bamba said:

Don't think Wheelan would get much of a say tbh, but we would definitely support it to cosy up to the big boys and the league. Lapdogs.

She attends the PL meetings on our behalf. I have no doubt she conducts herself professionally there. In fact, the negotiations she led for Maguire and Fofana are testament to that.

But, she's 'one of them'....she represents business - not football. 

• Like 1

To me var just proves how poor the reffing is. Watch it 10 times in slow motion and still get it wrong.

The money would be better spent on more training. Getting refs to enforce the rules. Not letting players walk 10yds up the pitch on throw ins.

5 minutes ago, Clever Fox said:

I hope it stays but it does need changing.

It should include all errors like corner kicks etc....

The offside needs to be cleaned up also as it's causing too much confusion.

Surely a joke? It was brought in for clear and obvious errors and ignoring the fact it can't get those right, it's drifted so far from its remit

Something that also doesn't get factored in with VAR is how it influences on-field decision making. Been plenty of instances where a decision has been given or not given because VAR can bail the official out. There's plenty of offsides where they're not given on field but they definitely would have been in the past. These are then in the figures as instances of VAR correcting an error, when that error would potentially not have been made if VAR wasn't there.

As my post above, it was brought it for clear and obvious errors and has stayed so far from that remit. If they keep it, they really have to start from scratch in what decisions they look at.

Personally, I want it gone. It's absolutely killed the enjoyment of a goal and it hasn't created so much more controversy now. Whereas there might have been 1 big incident or game that has the lens on it a weekend, it's now 3/4 at a minimum if not all of them. Mistakes will happen and if they're not catastrophic mistakes, then that's just something you accept and move on from.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Clever Fox said:

I hope it stays but it does need changing.

It should include all errors like corner kicks etc....

The offside needs to be cleaned up also as it's causing too much confusion.

Seriously??? You want it to look at MORE incidents 😂😂😂😂

Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, dmayne7 said:

Surely a joke? It was brought in for clear and obvious errors and ignoring the fact it can't get those right, it's drifted so far from its remit

Least with corners it would be factual.

20 minutes ago, sylofox said:

To me var just proves how poor the reffing is. Watch it 10 times in slow motion and still get it wrong.

The money would be better spent on more training. Getting refs to enforce the rules. Not letting players walk 10yds up the pitch on throw ins.

Or “.wrong” in the subjective view of someone on most occasions?

Yes there have been some technical howlers made too.

It doesn’t rule on the ball going in and out for a throw in or corner if that what you mean by refs don’t give that?

Edited by Super_horns

5 minutes ago, Super_horns said:

Least with corners it would be factual.

Or “.wrong” in the subjective view of someone on most occasions?

Yes there have been some technical howlers made too.

It doesn’t rule on the ball going in and out for a throw in or corner if that what you mean by refs don’t give that?

Not always. There'd be instances where it's a double deflection, both players hitting the ball at the same time etc. 

And imagine pausing the game for 5/10 seconds every time to make that decision, on all decisions. What's the point in having a referee? The game would be so sterile and we'd lose even more time 

7 minutes ago, dmayne7 said:

Something that also doesn't get factored in with VAR is how it influences on-field decision making. Been plenty of instances where a decision has been given or not given because VAR can bail the official out. There's plenty of offsides where they're not given on field but they definitely would have been in the past. These are then in the figures as instances of VAR correcting an error, when that error would potentially not have been made if VAR wasn't there.

As my post above, it was brought it for clear and obvious errors and has stayed so far from that remit. If they keep it, they really have to start from scratch in what decisions they look at.

Personally, I want it gone. It's absolutely killed the enjoyment of a goal and it hasn't created so much more controversy now. Whereas there might have been 1 big incident or game that has the lens on it a weekend, it's now 3/4 at a minimum if not all of them. Mistakes will happen and if they're not catastrophic mistakes, then that's just something you accept and move on from.

This is the whole point of Var the mistakes are catastrophic to some clubs like Forest who could be relegated over it or Wolves denied a draw recently over a poor decision.

The likes of Corner kicks it's easy to see who the ball last touched.

I don't like the idea of one man making the call either.

A panel making a call on what they see first time in a playback.

That takes no more than 60 seconds.

4 minutes ago, dmayne7 said:

Not always. There'd be instances where it's a double deflection, both players hitting the ball at the same time etc. 

And imagine pausing the game for 5/10 seconds every time to make that decision, on all decisions. What's the point in having a referee? The game would be so sterile and we'd lose even more time 

Maybe but then that might just have to a be accepted as an error but not a shocker if it’s a slight deflection etc .