Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Tuna

Non League Football 24/25

Oadby GNG first league off today cos of unsafe pitch. The photos look absolutely shambolic. Areas of the pitch with new turf which must be have been laid yesterday. 

Went the 11am UCL kick off today. Shirebrook held on for 1-1 with Newark. Tidy ground for the newly promoted side. First half was bit of a drag but second half really picked up. Newark missed a pen and hit the post. Shirebrook missed a great chance too. Really enjoyed it 

• Like 2

Hinckley beat Eynesbury 3-1 in their first game at step 5, sounded shaky but ultimately comfortable. Expecting it’ll be a tough season overall, you’d hope around play offs if we can perform. A lot of money about however.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, goody2028 said:

Very healthy crowd down at Coalville, ground hop fixture as well. 

Came down myself, good atmosphere but a shame about the result. Very young team, probably need a little more experience and strength but they have the ability to build that up this season with promotion off the table. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Finnaldo said:

Came down myself, good atmosphere but a shame about the result. Very young team, probably need a little more experience and strength but they have the ability to build that up this season with promotion off the table. 

The attendance was brilliant. We couldn't have asked for much more other than a positive result, but even that was secondary. I thought the day was a complete success.

The squad is young and they will take time to gel, but the sprinkle of local lads in the side is exactly what was required. The supporters will need to show patience.

• Like 1

Went Rugby Borough 5-1 Nirvana. Was never a 5-1 game. Nirvana should have been two up in the first five minutes. That said Rugby grew into the game and have 3 or 4 who could play step 4 easy. Excellent set-up there. UCL South looks like it will be super competitive - interested to see where the likes of March nd 

Was attended by all the regular South Leics/Warks faces - few Hinckley players there. A lot of talk about Aylestone (with the game tonight) - not many face playing them I think. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Gary Eatfood said:

The attendance was brilliant. We couldn't have asked for much more other than a positive result, but even that was secondary. I thought the day was a complete success.

The squad is young and they will take time to gel, but the sprinkle of local lads in the side is exactly what was required. The supporters will need to show patience.

I said very much the same: the best result is starting a new season with a team in black and white. It’s very difficult I feel, with the overnight resignation of the club, to get people energised, compared to say Nuneaton who went without a club for months and could really rally the supporters, so it’s a fantastic showing from the community. Coalville football will be fine in the long run. 

Similarly, it’ll take some adjustment but I think supporters can take solace in going about it the right way. The money Nuneaton have spent is eye-watering, and in addition the £6k GoFundMe seems to have soured some supporters already. You can see there’s a commitment to sustainability in what Coalville have done and whilst it may take time to get to where supporters will want to be, at least you’ll likely see some stability. 

Edited by Finnaldo
  • Like 1

52 minutes ago, Footballwipe said:

Can I be really lazy and not doing my own research. Am thinking of going to a game this weekend. Anyone know Leicestershire based teams playing at home worth popping along to see?

Hinckley are at home for their FA Cup Extra Preliminary tie against Highgate United 

46 minutes ago, Footballwipe said:

Can I be really lazy and not doing my own research. Am thinking of going to a game this weekend. Anyone know Leicestershire based teams playing at home worth popping along to see?

In the Fa Cup: Lutterworth, Hinckley AFC, Leicester Nirvana, Melton Town and Shepshed Dynamo  are all at home. A few in the Midland League such as Leicester St Andrews and Saffron Dynamo.

Best way of finding out is to check the FA Full Time page for each league. I would also recommend the Non-League Paper, out each Sunday. Gives the next week's fixtures for virtually all non-league.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Footballwipe said:

FA Cup this weekend. So ideal timing. Shepshed probably your best choice 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Corky said:

In the Fa Cup: Lutterworth, Hinckley AFC, Leicester Nirvana, Melton Town and Shepshed Dynamo  are all at home. A few in the Midland League such as Leicester St Andrews and Saffron Dynamo.

Best way of finding out is to check the FA Full Time page for each league. I would also recommend the Non-League Paper, out each Sunday. Gives the next week's fixtures for virtually all non-league.

Really impressed with Melton's facility. Pitch now re-done and the bar is probably one of the best. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, CosbehFox said:

Hinckley - Aylestone feisty last night but the Park won 1-0. Lots of claims about a poor ref

…No comment lol 

Have to say though, from a Hinckley point of view it was an extremely encouraging performance, I’ve very rarely came out on a lost game as happy as I did that one. Game was spoilt by the first red card decision by the ref, but showed a lot of character to stick in it and probably have some of the better chances in the end. If we see that level of commitment throughout the season then we could be in for a good season. 

AP you can see the organisation and skill, doesn’t look fully there yet and a bit light up front (granted Billy Kee wasn’t playing). Even with our performance you’d have expected them to put us to the sword. In summary: certainly a good team and deserved favourites but perhaps not the runaway winners myself and a lot of others expected.

Rugby Borough seem to have put together something decent this season. I’d have an eye on them as a dark horse this year.

1 hour ago, Finnaldo said:

…No comment lol 

Have to say though, from a Hinckley point of view it was an extremely encouraging performance, I’ve very rarely came out on a lost game as happy as I did that one. Game was spoilt by the first red card decision by the ref, but showed a lot of character to stick in it and probably have some of the better chances in the end. If we see that level of commitment throughout the season then we could be in for a good season. 

AP you can see the organisation and skill, doesn’t look fully there yet and a bit light up front (granted Billy Kee wasn’t playing). Even with our performance you’d have expected them to put us to the sword. In summary: certainly a good team and deserved favourites but perhaps not the runaway winners myself and a lot of others expected.

Rugby Borough seem to have put together something decent this season. I’d have an eye on them as a dark horse this year.

Based on his time at Coalville im not sure that makes much difference lol

• Haha 2

Posted (edited)

Probably not a first but we've had the first managerial sacking before the season has started!

Jon Macken sacked by Witton Albion after poor friendly results - they then got thrashed tonight by 1874 Northwich who were in the same division last season but went down.

Yes it's the former Preston and Man City striker.

Edited by Tuna

Great win at Quorn over Spalding. Hard to see which one was the Step 3 & 4 side. Now managed by ex LCFC Junior, Ryan Beswick, although nothing won in pre-season, an encouraging start and squad rebuild should stand them in good stead over this coming season

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, joeybside said:

Great win at Quorn over Spalding. Hard to see which one was the Step 3 & 4 side. Now managed by ex LCFC Junior, Ryan Beswick, although nothing won in pre-season, an encouraging start and squad rebuild should stand them in good stead over this coming season

Assistant is decent too I heard @Tevez :ph34r: 

Hinckley got a pretty controlled win against a Highgate side much diminished from last season. Malvern Town next which should prove a much firmer challenge.

Coalville fell to a 4-0 defeat away at Staveley Miners Welfare today. All four goals came in the second half after an even first period.

The second half was a tough watch at times, but perspective is needed. The players have only been together for around 6 weeks. Another tough away trip awaits on Tuesday at Clifton All Whites.

Edited by Gary Eatfood