Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Tuna

Non League Football 24/25

35 minutes ago, CosbehFox said:

The games v Corby last season are why. Having young kids scream Kettering is a shithole into women’s faces this arvo. That said everyone over the age of 18 was well behaved 

Compared to Harbs, it kinda is a shithole.

In fact, compared to shitholes, Kettering is a shithole :D

ktfc1.png

• Haha 1

39 minutes ago, CosbehFox said:

I went Kettering Harborough. I’m sorry Daggers. It was a dreadful game. Kick and rush which made no sense given both teams had very decent wingers. 

Kettering clearly better team but didn’t go for the killer (albeit unlucky with a header). 

Harborough seem to have double downed on buying anyone over 6ft 3. Both full backs ran like rugby players. 

If it wasn’t for the reliance on Kettering being largely fan ran, I wouldn’t have paid the prices for the food either. £4.20 for chips and curry sauce 

It was poor compared to what we've produced so far this season, no argument there. Don't know what the problem was tbh, we could've buried them if we'd tried shooting a bit.

Some Harbs player rocked up in a top of the range, brand new Merc. It's ridiculous the money they're being paid.

Food? That stall is shit, mate - pizza van by the bar does huge slices for £3 or a too big to eat pizza for £12.

• Like 1

2-2 draw between Grantham and Shepshed, I have no idea how we didn't win it, conceded two soft goals and as for us we hit the bar, the post, had two cleared off the line, missed a penalty (although scored from the corner) and the keeper made a couple of decent saves.

Enjoyable game and plenty of entertainment!

No game for Hinckley today, but lost 1-0 to Daventry on the weekend. First 30 minutes they scored and just looked head and shoulders above us, then they took their foot off the gas at that point and we looked a lot better for credit. Second half we threw the kitchen sink at them, probably three efforts that go in any other day (off the crossbar and bounced out off the line, cleared off the line, a good save after a great run down the left), but you could tell they were well behind organised. Dav went down to ten with half an hour left then nine deep into extra time, so ultimately worth their win. 

Good enough start I think. Two wins, a draw in a poor game that we win if we turn up and two losses to top teams where you could say we were probably worth a draw if not more. Out in the FA Cup preliminaries to a decent step four team. 

For a consolidation season it looks very promising, would say an outside play offs chance isn't off the cards at all. Some tough games coming up though.

• Like 1

Plenty more improvement to come at Coalville but was nice to put in our performance of the season today. We've faced similar quality teams and made harder work of it.

As I say, work in progress and the quality of the squad today will be miles from the quality of the squad by the end of the season.

It's all about being patient and not reacting too soon. This is still a squad that didn't exist 2 months ago. Some of them aren't going to be good enough, but they've been man enough to step up and allow us to play this season. Memories have been very short from some people, but thankfully the majority of the match attending fans understand the scope of the situation.

This isn't waving off criticism of an experienced team or manager that's under performing. This is backing a management team and group of lads that were willing to step up and give us a team to watch, improvements will happen naturally and if they don't then Ash and his team will rightly be held to account further down the line.

Absolutely buzzing with the performance today though, Mangan and Bukowski look like standouts for me so far.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, CosbehFox said:

I went Kettering Harborough. I’m sorry Daggers. It was a dreadful game. Kick and rush which made no sense given both teams had very decent wingers. 

Kettering clearly better team but didn’t go for the killer (albeit unlucky with a header). 

Harborough seem to have double downed on buying anyone over 6ft 3. Both full backs ran like rugby players. 

If it wasn’t for the reliance on Kettering being largely fan ran, I wouldn’t have paid the prices for the food either. £4.20 for chips and curry sauce 

I agree with you. Very disappointed in the second half for Kettering. Can't explain it but it was rubbish compared to the first. Still great to see the attendance. I brought my cousin to his first non league match, who loved it!

13 hours ago, filbertway said:

On current trajectory yes, but we have plenty of scope to improve though.

I'd be much more concerned if this was a team that had been together for years and we knew we would struggle to attract improvements.

Ideally for me, by the 2nd of the season we should be offering a much sterner test for every team in this league. We want to finish this season strongly and take that into next year. The next 2/3 months are about trying to get the squad in that direction. Work has already started on that, the lads that have come in so far, look to have improved us.

We're crying out for a big ugly 6'4 centre back to dominate long balls into the box, that'd be high on my wish list.

Sensible post.

4 hours ago, filbertway said:

Plenty more improvement to come at Coalville but was nice to put in our performance of the season today. We've faced similar quality teams and made harder work of it.

As I say, work in progress and the quality of the squad today will be miles from the quality of the squad by the end of the season.

It's all about being patient and not reacting too soon. This is still a squad that didn't exist 2 months ago. Some of them aren't going to be good enough, but they've been man enough to step up and allow us to play this season. Memories have been very short from some people, but thankfully the majority of the match attending fans understand the scope of the situation.

This isn't waving off criticism of an experienced team or manager that's under performing. This is backing a management team and group of lads that were willing to step up and give us a team to watch, improvements will happen naturally and if they don't then Ash and his team will rightly be held to account further down the line.

Absolutely buzzing with the performance today though, Mangan and Bukowski look like standouts for me so far.

Tom got my vote for MOTM.

• Like 1

Great day yesterday for Non-League really pleasing to see high numbers at local level from +200 at Birstall v Gornal at Step 6 to +580 at Quorn v Anstey at Step 4. Entertaining 0-0 at the Quorn game played at a very fast tempo. Both teams having a half each and going close with chances Anstey hitting the Bar in the last 5. Fenton going on in the 1st half for Anstey was probably the difference IMO the Sub Striker being wasteful. You can see Anstey miss Robinson and Armeni in the Centre. Both teams should be in the play-offs come April but will be interesting how early pace-setters Corby and Worcester kick on

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Daggers said:

Daylight robbery. 

You should've been down to 10 men on a clear decision. Then, as the game was ebbing out having been almost all 1-way traffic, ref decided to invent a pen for no clear reason. I feel cheated. 

But impressive:

Elliot Taylor made one worthy save in that second half.

Harborough well worth the away point against a side much much bigger than them. 

• Haha 1

On 26/08/2024 at 17:40, CosbehFox said:

15 hours ago, Daggers said:

Plus premier league clubs wont let you bring your own food and drink in so your forced to pay these stupid prices. I was told once i couldn't take a bottle of water into Leicester. Said cause it had a lid on still... went inside bought a bottle of pop... guess what... lid was still left on.

Edited by Leicesterpool

Premier league burgers tend to be rank, overdone and rock hard. 

Best burgers you got in non league.... not healthy but so much more tasty... and happy to add onions without charge. Plus serve you with a smile.

Staff in the concourse look so disinterested and would sell you burger with a dead fly on it and wouldn't see a problem with it. Better still charge you extra for it.

Edited by Leicesterpool
  • Like 1

Over County Lines today to watch Racing Club Warwick v Quorn the away team being the victors with a 2-0 scoreline. Webb and Grantham doing the business again with the Goals. Great set-up at Warwick who beat Aylestone in last years Step 5 South play-off final to go up. The Quorn goal leading a charmed life at times but if you don't take your chances at any level, you don't win games. 230+ in attendance. Decent pint. What's not to love about non-league

• Like 1

Went to watch boro at Smethwick Rangers... actually Boldmere St Michaels. Nice setup there good little ground. Finished 1-1, but entertainment wise wow not good. Boro scored first against 10 men. Then last kick of the game Smethwick equalised through goalie error.. this league is certainly no walk in park. For me Boros probably no pace in the team. Attendance: 191 with 140 from nuneaton.

• Like 1

Went to dreaded Coventry, too see Boro at Coventry Copeswood... accidentally ended up at the old Coventry city training ground as the postcode took me their... luckily the ground was only mile down the road.

Got their basically like a club house and field. Turnstiles... well didnt have one. Paid but honestly so many ways into the ground you could enter for free. I was just spotted walking by the club house and paid the fiver.. which didnt bother me. Clubs at this level need every penny, plus its cheap. Everyone seemed friendly considering they were cov lot.

Football wise entertaining game but Boro were poor first half despite leading 1-0. Copeswood should have been leading but whats when you dont take your chances. Second half they ran out of steam and it was a one way show. Everytime we attacked we scored 5-0 away win. Thanks very much. Attendance was said to be 350 but i think there was more than that, alot there i dont think had paid, not maybe on purpose like one bloke walked in and seen no one around to pay, so just headed in. 

Id say at least 450, a few local cov city fans attended not having a game today. 

• Like 1

Went to Royston. We've won 7 out of the last ten against them and drawn two others. We are at the top end of the table, they're at the bottom.

Of course they won.

image.jpeg.7c0b80ef83574e984a0f85dc9d784544.jpeg

Edited by Daggers
Dumb autocorrect

I moved to Farnborough last year and they play in the National League South, just around the corner from me at the Cherrywood Road stadium. I’ve been a few times but have started getting more into it lately—they won 3-1 yesterday.

Ricky Holmes is probably the best player, even though he’s one of the oldest. Still got and energy to burn. Edon Pruti, the center-back, is also a really good player. The stadium holds about 6,000, but usually only around 1,000 show up for home games. It’s £15 to get in and £5.30 for a pint. Obviously Leicester at heart, but I do enjoy going down to support them and there's some really decent football played.

Up the Boro

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Daggers said:

Currently working my way though the match fixing podcast, https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/p0jglj2q , and I can't quite shake a feeling I had yesterday. Too many smiles, too little fight, a really weak loss. Really weak.

You really think a bunch of players could keep a secret for a few extra quid...an entire team?  It can happen but its so rare that sometimes you just have a shitty day.

2 hours ago, purpleronnie said:

You really think a bunch of players could keep a secret for a few extra quid...an entire team?  It can happen but its so rare that sometimes you just have a shitty day.

It wasn't a serious comment. ;)