Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Tuna

Non League Football 24/25

19 hours ago, Finnaldo said:

Hinckley finishing their preseason with the annual Simon Blyth Memorial Trophy game at Heather St John’s on the 20th before starting the season the Saturday after away at Eynesbury. Be interesting to see how we cope with the step up, I’d be happy just to be competing with a play off spot, get ourselves consolidated in the league! 

First home game the Monday after against Aylestone Park, have to be title favourites this year but probably the best time to play them, hope to catch them out early in the season as I imagine they’ll be a big threat as the season goes on! 

Aylestone looked good second half against Sutton Coldfield last Saturday. The budget they have at this level is crazy.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gary Eatfood said:

Aylestone looked good second half against Sutton Coldfield last Saturday. The budget they have at this level is crazy.

Absolutely, it’s a mental budget and if they aren’t title winners then that’s down to underperformance. Really hit their stride last year with the ex-Birstall manager so I do expect them to be fine, although start of the season getting back into it is probably the best chance at have of taking points off them! 

It’d be nice to have a proper city team higher in non-league pyramid though, it helps they have a good youth setup and with a bit more work the ground could be very decent too. 

What’s your opinion on Coalville’s pre-season so far?

Posted (edited)

Absolute craziness going on at Prescot Cables

- Promoted via playoffs to step 3

- Signings made, friendlies arranged

- Budget declared unsustainable

- Management team (who signed a new contract) leave

- Friendlies cancelled

- Social media pile on on board

- Players all leave

- Replacement manager appointed from local side Burscough

- Chairman resigns citing threats

- New chairman appointed

- Replacement manager resigns

Management team left on Monday, with the replacement manager resigning a few minutes ago

Edited by Tuna

On 18/07/2024 at 14:57, Finnaldo said:

Absolutely, it’s a mental budget and if they aren’t title winners then that’s down to underperformance. Really hit their stride last year with the ex-Birstall manager so I do expect them to be fine, although start of the season getting back into it is probably the best chance at have of taking points off them! 

It’d be nice to have a proper city team higher in non-league pyramid though, it helps they have a good youth setup and with a bit more work the ground could be very decent too. 

They should win it with ease. I like their ground down there too. Be a big crowd this time next week v Coventry United. 

• Like 1

I've been told they'll need to move the floodlights and the pitch over if they get promoted. Apparently, ground regulations at Step 4 dictate that all four sides of the pitch must be able to accommodate spectators.

The new Coalville have impressed me so far. The players have given their all in pre-season, and considering they've only played a couple of 90 minutes as a squad, we look good. There's been some exciting attacking football, and once we get a more settled 11, I think we'll be competing well. We have our last friendly tomorrow at Stapenhill before we kick off for real next Sunday lunchtime. Hopefully, with it being part of the Groundhop weekend, there should be a sizeable crowd.

• Like 1

On 18/07/2024 at 13:23, Gary Eatfood said:

Jake Duffy & Connor Franklin could easily still play 2 divisions higher.

Connor only left Brackley 2 years ago. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Gary Eatfood said:

I've been told they'll need to move the floodlights and the pitch over if they get promoted. Apparently, ground regulations at Step 4 dictate that all four sides of the pitch must be able to accommodate spectators.

The new Coalville have impressed me so far. The players have given their all in pre-season, and considering they've only played a couple of 90 minutes as a squad, we look good. There's been some exciting attacking football, and once we get a more settled 11, I think we'll be competing well. We have our last friendly tomorrow at Stapenhill before we kick off for real next Sunday lunchtime. Hopefully, with it being part of the Groundhop weekend, there should be a sizeable crowd.

Mad that given you have grounds like Stourbridge at Step 3

26 minutes ago, CosbehFox said:

Mad that given you have grounds like Stourbridge at Step 3

Likewise Gresley who were step 4 for a couple season up until last season. Although they did have active plans for a new ground.

On 19/07/2024 at 21:10, Soar Fox said:

Jake Duffy & Connor Franklin could easily still play 2 divisions higher.

Connor only left Brackley 2 years ago. 

Didn't realize Connor was still playing!

On 19/07/2024 at 22:47, Gary Eatfood said:

True. Perhaps Stourbridge get an exemption because they share the space with the cricket club.

Suspect any of those teams with that sort of arrangement in existence for a number of years get grace. Mickleover was another (don't know if they still have the cricket club to a side). Nomads just about get away with it. 

Edited by CosbehFox

I remember seeing Aylestone play in the leicestershire senior league Div 1 (basically step 8) which is pretty much sunday league stuff....a bit of money and things rapidly change.

Same as Harborough. I can't knock it to some extent because it's not solely the playing budget it's being spent on. They have a clubhouse with a proper cafe (they have two of them), they consistently make an effort to host other efforts at the ground and there's a strong junior set-up there as well. Nomads trying hard to get something similar with their redevelopment plans which are sadly back to the drawing board. 

Edited by CosbehFox
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, CosbehFox said:

Suspect any of those teams with that sort of arrangement in existence for a number of years get grace. Mickleover was another (don't know if they still have the cricket club to a side). Nomads just about get away with it. 

Mickleover is all 4 sides now. This probably changed when Derby Ladies started playing there. Similar to how LCFC invested in Holmes Park when they hosted the U21's. Where can Nomads realistically relocate to?

On 19/07/2024 at 18:19, Tuna said:

Absolute craziness going on at Prescot Cables

- Promoted via playoffs to step 3

- Signings made, friendlies arranged

- Budget declared unsustainable

- Management team (who signed a new contract) leave

- Friendlies cancelled

- Social media pile on on board

- Players all leave

- Replacement manager appointed from local side Burscough

- Chairman resigns citing threats

- New chairman appointed

- Replacement manager resigns

Management team left on Monday, with the replacement manager resigning a few minutes ago

Plot twist. 

Previous management team who didnt have the budget. Have now returned 😅 and the replacement manager has gone back to Burscough. 

13 hours ago, CosbehFox said:

Same as Harborough. I can't knock it to some extent because it's not solely the playing budget it's being spent on. They have a clubhouse with a proper cafe (they have two of them), they consistently make an effort to host other efforts at the ground and there's a strong junior set-up there as well. Nomads trying hard to get something similar with their redevelopment plans which are sadly back to the drawing board. 

Harborough have a very good set up. The clubhouse holds wedding receptions, parties, lots of other events too.

The junior section is huge.....girls, ladies, veterans & walking football too. 

They had one of the biggest grass roots set-ups in the country, a few years back. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, STEVIE B said:

Harborough have a very good set up. The clubhouse holds wedding receptions, parties, lots of other events too.

The junior section is huge.....girls, ladies, veterans & walking football too. 

They had one of the biggest grass roots set-ups in the country, a few years back. 

Exactly my point. Harborough can be accused of spending money on players but they have a facility which has a legacy. 

Can’t say the same for say Spalding for example 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, CosbehFox said:

Exactly my point. Harborough can be accused of spending money on players but they have a facility which has a legacy. 

Can’t say the same for say Spalding for example 

I'd like to throw Peterborough Sports into the mix as well as a team that's focused more on a few years of short term success rather than infrastructure.

Can you tell it still annoys me that they got promoted ahead of us and the chairman admitted he funded the promotion push by delaying paying the tax bill lol

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, filbertway said:

I'd like to throw Peterborough Sports into the mix as well as a team that's focused more on a few years of short term success rather than infrastructure.

Can you tell it still annoys me that they got promoted ahead of us and the chairman admitted he funded the promotion push by delaying paying the tax bill lol

Good example. Holding on for life now. I do feel once they drop from step 2, down they will go 

On 22/07/2024 at 08:39, purpleronnie said:

I remember seeing Aylestone play in the leicestershire senior league Div 1 (basically step 8) which is pretty much sunday league stuff....a bit of money and things rapidly change.

HMS Piss The League will be full-steam ahead this year. Greavesy not messing about has bold ambitions and after talking to few people at the Club last weekend, has the drive, prowess and money to make it happen.  Huge catchment area to generate attendance from. Youth set-up mighty and has been for a long while which has been the catalyst for drive. Will be another Leicester Club at Step 4 and above next year. 

44 minutes ago, joeybside said:

HMS Piss The League will be full-steam ahead this year. Greavesy not messing about has bold ambitions and after talking to few people at the Club last weekend, has the drive, prowess and money to make it happen.  Huge catchment area to generate attendance from. Youth set-up mighty and has been for a long while which has been the catalyst for drive. Will be another Leicester Club at Step 4 and above next year. 

They need a huge increase in attendances i do wonder what can be achieved at clubs like this.  I hate to use the cliche 'it will all end in tears' but these things usually do.

18 hours ago, purpleronnie said:

They need a huge increase in attendances i do wonder what can be achieved at clubs like this.  I hate to use the cliche 'it will all end in tears' but these things usually do.

The catchment is there, but inner city non-league clubs traditionally struggle building support outside certain areas (the North East mainly). 

I do wonder what the likelihood of replicating what Dulwich Hamlet or, more fitting to the level perhaps, West Didsbury & Chorlton have done, the latter have an average gates of over 700 last season: Really target the university crowd and young professional crowd. That said I have no idea if it could be transplanted from your likes of London and Manchester to a more provincial city like Leicester. 

Either way, they’ll have to find some way of getting crowds in if they’ll be playing step 3/4.

• Like 1

UCL South kicked off last night: Aylestone Park 7-1 Cov United lol 

Almost went down myself but ended up with other plans, but a 400+ crowd in which would’ve had a healthy contingent of groundhoppers so likely a good atmosphere. Hard to tell if Aylestone Park are even better than the high standard already expected or Cov United are an utter disaster unravelling, although I expect somewhere in-between.

Statement win for AP in what you expect to be a very dominant season for them, I thought playing them early may be a good thing for Hinckley, and perhaps we can catch them on the hangover but I’m not holding my breath now! Cov United are now probably realising what a lot of us thought when they signed on the manager that made well-budgeted Atherstone look like relegation fodder last season, puzzling appointment and whilst I’m not expecting a full repeat I expect they’ll fall far short of what I’m sure will be some ambitious objectives. 

Hinckley at Eynesbury for our season-opener today, on paper a ‘kinder’ game to start with but we need to be at our best given this is entirely new ground for us. Unable to go unfortunately but dreaming of a nice statement win to take us into a very threatening game vs AP!

Edited by Finnaldo