Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Tuna

Non League Football 24/25

From the Non League Paper. Doesn't appear that they tried particularly hard to find new owners.

Chairman Glyn Rennocks declared “enough was enough” having stunned the Non-League fraternity by culling senior men’s football at Coalville Town.
Rennocks announced on Friday that he had “taken the difficult decision to step away” and disbanded the Southern League Premier Central side amid costs that had “spiralled”.
The bombshell landed just five days after Coalville had announced the retention of one player, “positive discussions” with others and that “multiple new signings” had been secured.
News of the team’s demise included confirmation that Ravens manager Ian King had been informed of the decision earlier the same day.
In an interview with The NLP, Rennocks confirmed Coalville’s teams at under-21 and youth level, plus all female teams, would continue from the club’s Owen Street base.
The entity behind the senior side - Coalville Town Football Club Limited - is to be closed down with sole director Rennocks promising to pay all creditors and leave it with “a clean bill of health”. He will stay involved as one of four directors of Coalville Town Youth Football Club Limited which will run the rest of the show.
“Running a Non-League club now is getting beyond sustainable so I decided enough was enough.”he said,
“I have done it for more than 40 years and it was not a decision I took lightly, that’s for sure.”
Asked whether a takeover had been discussed, Rennocks replied: “I have spoken to various people but getting someone to invest in a Non-League club is pretty much asking them whether they have money they want to chuck away.”
Adding that they were “not so much takeover talks”, he said there was “no appetite for it among the people I have spoken to”.
“We haven’t advertised or gone out of our way but when you don’t have an asset - we don’t own the ground - it becomes more difficult,” he said. Voluntary was “not an option” for Rennocks who added: “If we just dropped down I would still want to get back to where we are which completes the circle again. If I do something, I want to win.”
He would be “open minded” if someone else came forward to run the senior side but confirmed it would have to fit with the plans for the rest of the club.
“We didn’t get to conversations as detailed as that in all honesty, but yes, that would have to be the case, 100 per cent,” he said.
The statement also referred to the club’s relationship with landlords North West Leicestershire District Council which Rennocks said had “diminished, especially since a certain councillor came to prominence”.
He was guarded when asked about that, replying: “I know councils don’t have the finances they used to have but it has certainly become very difficult.”
“The attitudes of certain individuals have not helped - the only way they helped was to get to the decision that I reached.”
It brings to an end a whirlwind 21 years since promotion from county football, including two further promotions, an FA Vase final at Wembley, trips to Wycombe Wanderers and Charlton Athletic in the first round of the FA Cup and going within 90 minutes and goal difference of reaching Step 2.
With the league allocations having been announced last week, the vacancy created in the Southern Premier Central will be “dealt with at the discretion of the (FA’s Alliance) Committee in order to minimise disruption”.
When Walton Casuals pulled out of Step 3 at a similar stage 2 years ago, the gap was filled by a reprieve in that division rather than assessing points per game ratios. If that was repeated, Hitchin Town would be in line to stay up.

• Like 1

Disappointing comments, he doesn’t seem bothered if there no 1st team again. 

Still doesn’t sound like he has tried very hard to get someone to take over. Could of took voluntary to keep things ticking over which would of given them an extra year to find someone else.

A bit of it’s my ball and I don’t want to play anymore by the sounds of it.

• Like 3

Posted (edited)

If Coalville Town couldn't afford play at Owen Street, then look for alternative options... Shepshed Dynamo's ground not to far, least that could be a short term home whilst the club find a long term solution. It's just like the chairman, hasn't thought about the clubs future, it's like his club and no one else's. 

Edited by Leicesterpool

If the rent for the site is so much why are the kids and u21s carrying on? Surely if rent was the issue they’d still be able to function at a lower level even if it was Leicester senior league? 

On 26/05/2024 at 20:49, CosbehFox said:

If the landlords are the local council and they've asked for an increase in rent, I get the position of pulling the first team out. But other than that, his quotes effectively saying it's my club and I don't want anyone else to really have it. The quote of “If we just dropped down I would still want to get back to where we are which completes the circle again. If I do something, I want to win.”  is the real kick in the guts for Coalville fans. Non-League football isn't about winning, it's about fostering community and trying to give something for the town to enjoy. 

1 hour ago, Lesta2014 said:

If the rent for the site is so much why are the kids and u21s carrying on? Surely if rent was the issue they’d still be able to function at a lower level even if it was Leicester senior league? 

Exactly my thoughts. It wasn’t a statement of fact from myself, more I can’t work out how the position of the club need to stop a first team cos of the council unless it’s something like a rent increase but the site of course holds the kids and under 21s 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, CosbehFox said:

Exactly my thoughts. It wasn’t a statement of fact from myself, more I can’t work out how the position of the club need to stop a first team cos of the council unless it’s something like a rent increase but the site of course holds the kids and under 21s 

My only conclusion is they smashed the rent up for the main pitch and that coupled with increasing running costs for stuff like floodlights etc meant it wasn’t feasible anymore? The fact the juniors and women’s are still there could be because the subs cover their cost of using the pitches but men’s rent for main pitch was a lot higher? 

Bit of positive news this evening that a few blokes who have done a lot for the club have been in talks with the FA and NWLDC over the weekend with the aim of keeping mens football at the club in the coming season.

AGM coming up soon so looking to act quickly.

More updates to follow in next few days, would mean dropping down several leagues and looking to make the club fan owned.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, filbertway said:

Bit of positive news this evening that a few blokes who have done a lot for the club have been in talks with the FA and NWLDC over the weekend with the aim of keeping mens football at the club in the coming season.

AGM coming up soon so looking to act quickly.

More updates to follow in next few days, would mean dropping down several leagues and looking to make the club fan owned.

It would probably mean dropping to Step 6. There's a space in the UCL North, so I guess they'd move a team up from UCL Div 1 to create a space for us.

Fingers crossed. If Steve helps get this over the line he really does deserve a well-earned break.

10 minutes ago, Gary Eatfood said:

It would probably mean dropping to Step 6. There's a space in the UCL North, so I guess they'd move a team up from UCL Div 1 to create a space for us.

Fingers crossed. If Steve helps get this over the line he really does deserve a well-earned break.

Some familiar names in the UCL Prem and Div 1 :D 

Him and Wayne both, how they do it alongside having families and full time jobs I do not know.

WhatsApp Image 2024-05-27 at 22.40.09.jpeg

2 minutes ago, filbertway said:

Some familiar names in the UCL Prem and Div 1 :D 

Him and Wayne both, how they do it alongside having families and full time jobs I do not know.

WhatsApp Image 2024-05-27 at 22.40.09.jpeg

By making sacrifices that few people would.

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, Gary Eatfood said:

By making sacrifices that few people would.

I can hand on heart say I haven't got it in me. I'll happily travel a 6 hour round journey to watch them on a Tuesday night.

I don't want to see how the pies made though. Some people are just built different.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Gary Eatfood said:

Most Leicester based teams are in midland football league div 1 next season, so could be an option? 

Interesting signing for Boro, Liam Daly signs from Stratford Town. Surprising really considering he's decent at the southern league level, dropping down three levels. Can't be money, new club is on tight reigns at the moment.

4 minutes ago, Leicesterpool said:

Interesting signing for Boro, Liam Daly signs from Stratford Town. Surprising really considering he's decent at the southern league level, dropping down three levels. Can't be money, new club is on tight reigns at the moment.

He's pushing 40 must want to play more local

On 26/05/2024 at 20:12, Gary Eatfood said:

From the Non League Paper. Doesn't appear that they tried particularly hard to find new owners.

Chairman Glyn Rennocks declared “enough was enough” having stunned the Non-League fraternity by culling senior men’s football at Coalville Town.
Rennocks announced on Friday that he had “taken the difficult decision to step away” and disbanded the Southern League Premier Central side amid costs that had “spiralled”.
The bombshell landed just five days after Coalville had announced the retention of one player, “positive discussions” with others and that “multiple new signings” had been secured.
News of the team’s demise included confirmation that Ravens manager Ian King had been informed of the decision earlier the same day.
In an interview with The NLP, Rennocks confirmed Coalville’s teams at under-21 and youth level, plus all female teams, would continue from the club’s Owen Street base.
The entity behind the senior side - Coalville Town Football Club Limited - is to be closed down with sole director Rennocks promising to pay all creditors and leave it with “a clean bill of health”. He will stay involved as one of four directors of Coalville Town Youth Football Club Limited which will run the rest of the show.
“Running a Non-League club now is getting beyond sustainable so I decided enough was enough.”he said,
“I have done it for more than 40 years and it was not a decision I took lightly, that’s for sure.”
Asked whether a takeover had been discussed, Rennocks replied: “I have spoken to various people but getting someone to invest in a Non-League club is pretty much asking them whether they have money they want to chuck away.”
Adding that they were “not so much takeover talks”, he said there was “no appetite for it among the people I have spoken to”.
“We haven’t advertised or gone out of our way but when you don’t have an asset - we don’t own the ground - it becomes more difficult,” he said. Voluntary was “not an option” for Rennocks who added: “If we just dropped down I would still want to get back to where we are which completes the circle again. If I do something, I want to win.”
He would be “open minded” if someone else came forward to run the senior side but confirmed it would have to fit with the plans for the rest of the club.
“We didn’t get to conversations as detailed as that in all honesty, but yes, that would have to be the case, 100 per cent,” he said.
The statement also referred to the club’s relationship with landlords North West Leicestershire District Council which Rennocks said had “diminished, especially since a certain councillor came to prominence”.
He was guarded when asked about that, replying: “I know councils don’t have the finances they used to have but it has certainly become very difficult.”
“The attitudes of certain individuals have not helped - the only way they helped was to get to the decision that I reached.”
It brings to an end a whirlwind 21 years since promotion from county football, including two further promotions, an FA Vase final at Wembley, trips to Wycombe Wanderers and Charlton Athletic in the first round of the FA Cup and going within 90 minutes and goal difference of reaching Step 2.
With the league allocations having been announced last week, the vacancy created in the Southern Premier Central will be “dealt with at the discretion of the (FA’s Alliance) Committee in order to minimise disruption”.
When Walton Casuals pulled out of Step 3 at a similar stage 2 years ago, the gap was filled by a reprieve in that division rather than assessing points per game ratios. If that was repeated, Hitchin Town would be in line to stay up.

I don’t buy almost all of that

On 26/05/2024 at 20:12, Gary Eatfood said:

My team Grantham have had two new owners since 2020, from Sheffield and Chesterfield respectively. Grantham are a pretty unattractive club, low crowds and do not own the ground yet can attract investment and owners. Why can't Coalville? It just doesn't add up. Where did the cup money go?

Posted (edited)

Glyn Rennocks interview with BBC Radio Leicester is online: 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/p0j0qxw5

Not many extra details, reaffirms the rising costs and want to retire.

More interestingly, mentions a team looking to be set up ‘around step 6’

Edited by Finnaldo

1 hour ago, Finnaldo said:

Glyn Rennocks interview with BBC Radio Leicester is online: 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/p0j0qxw5

Not many extra details, reaffirms the rising costs and want to retire.

More interestingly, mentions a team looking to be set up ‘around step 6’

The proposal for a senior men's team for this season needs to be submitted to the FA by 8 a.m. on Friday. It's a six-month process condensed into three days, but given that the FA is fast-tracking the application, it would suggest they are supportive. Fingers crossed.

• Like 3