Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
lcfc_forever

Kasey McAteer

7 hours ago, MPH said:

He’s a good squad player for cup games and to cover for injuries. If we can afford 30k a week for smithies, we can at least bump this guy up, if he’s happy to stay.

Otherwise, it’s possible we will get him an improved contract then send him out to a champ team for the season with a recall option. I think regular games is what he needs right now..

But we couldn't afford Smithies contract as we have since found out.   Personally think sell him if someone comes in.  I can't see him being a first team regular and don't want to offer a package where you can't then sell him in the future.  

3 minutes ago, AS78UK said:

But we couldn't afford Smithies contract as we have since found out.   Personally think sell him if someone comes in.  I can't see him being a first team regular and don't want to offer a package where you can't then sell him in the future.  

we are going to need squad members. A young guy on 20k a week isn’t going to be our problem.

I would sell purely for FFP reasons, not because I don’t think he’ll be a decent squad player. He has higher sale value that’s pure profit. Eases the burden on some other sales we’ll have to make.

Wish him all the best and will follow with great interest but unfortunately that’s the go at the moment.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, when_you're_smiling said:

If we do lose KDH, could he do the job of driving us forward and being a box to box midfielder? I certainly think I’d prefer him central to out wide. 

Not as a starter in the Premier League. 

Might not be a popular opinion but I honestly think he could do with a Championship loan somewhere he's going to be a starter all season and get 35+ starts under his belt tbh. 

For his age he hasn't actually played that much football. 

But I do think one of his better all round performances last year was in the middle, yeah. I'd have liked to have seen Kasey on the right and KDH on the left together in the middle a few more times last year. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, LestaLad said:

He’s just not very good. No way is he PL standard.

Like I just said, I agree he isn't ready for the Prem on paper but I do think it's too early to say he's not very good. 

He scored 6 league goals in less than 13 lots of 90 minutes last year. That's as many as Fatawu got in almost three times the time (I'm aware Fatawu contributed freakishly well in assists.) It's also a better goal return per minute than Mavididi. 

Overall he got a goal every 0.47 games which makes him our third most efficient player to play over 1000 minutes. 

He's got a lot of very positive attributes, his movement off the ball and his footballing intelligence both when Leicester are in position and when they aren't is brilliant. He makes superb runs and he continues excellently in defence too, with a lot of aggression, stamina and commitment. 

He definitely lacks the one thing Enzo wants the most from his wide players, he's poor in one on one take ons, but given that it's not his natural position and that Jeff Schlupp has managed 200 odd Premier League games, I think it's premature to write McAteer off. 

But I do think if he's going to have a future in the Prem it won't be as a conventional winger. Either some sort of pressing forward or a box to box midfielder would be better, a role that suits his athleticism and work rate, where his movement and engine are more important than searing pace (he's a slow winger but a fast midfielder.)

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

Like I just said, I agree he isn't ready for the Prem on paper but I do think it's too early to say he's not very good. 

He scored 6 league goals in less than 13 lots of 90 minutes last year. That's as many as Fatawu got in almost three times the time (I'm aware Fatawu contributed freakishly well in assists.) It's also a better goal return per minute than Mavididi. 

Overall he got a goal every 0.47 games which makes him our third most efficient player to play over 1000 minutes. 

He's got a lot of very positive attributes, his movement off the ball and his footballing intelligence both when Leicester are in position and when they aren't is brilliant. He makes superb runs and he continues excellently in defence too, with a lot of aggression, stamina and commitment. 

He definitely lacks the one thing Enzo wants the most from his wide players, he's poor in one on one take ons, but given that it's not his natural position and that Jeff Schlupp has managed 200 odd Premier League games, I think it's premature to write McAteer off. 

But I do think if he's going to have a future in the Prem it won't be as a conventional winger. Either some sort of pressing forward or a box to box midfielder would be better, a role that suits his athleticism and work rate, where his movement and engine are more important than searing pace (he's a slow winger but a fast midfielder.)

I agree. In addition to the attributes you list here, I see in McAteer an absolute determination to be the very best player he can be. He just comes across as being 100% committed to turning himself into a very good player. I hope we give him a little more time to show he can become that with us rather than let another club reap the benefits.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, ClaphamFox said:

I agree. In addition to the attributes you list here, I see in McAteer an absolute determination to be the very best player he can be. He just comes across as being 100% committed to turning himself into a very good player. I hope we give him a little more time to show he can become that with us rather than let another club reap the benefits.

Mhm. I definitely think he'd have benefited from a "Pearson-like" manager over the last couple years at Leicester as opposed to Brendan Rodgers, who he clearly wouldn't and didn't suit. 

He has a lot of the attributes that make Hamza punch above his weight only McAteer is comfortably more technical. 

You can't beat good work rate, some well placed aggression and good athleticism. 

There'll always be a place in the Premier League for a Robbie Savage. 

• Like 1

Lots of positives to his game, in particular the ability to calmly finish, but probably lacks the pace or 1v1 skills to play wide in the Prem. Not exactly sure where he’ll end up playing, maybe he’s a RWB.

I’d give him a new (reasonable) contract and have him in the squad next season but definitely not as a starter.

• Like 1

If he's currently costing us fxxk all there's no reason to sell unless we get offered over his value. Which is currently difficult to determine but given we'd need to find an alternative that becomes a factor in his price. I can't really see anyone offering substantial enough a fee to make it worth our while or his tbh. What do we think his market value is?

3 minutes ago, AKCJ said:

Sign him up to a new contract and loan him to a Championship club.

if this was a few years ago i’d take the same route. But in the current climate, we can’t afford to be adding another 30-40k to the wage bill for someone we’d be hoping makes vast improvements. The level we need is fatawu… he won’t reach that unfortunately (imo) 

14 minutes ago, Lambert09 said:

Taking sentimentality out of it, I just can’t see him being a prem player: 

He’s got the feel of a being good at a lot of things, but not really a master of anything. 

I don't think KDH had played for us yet at the same age as McAteer is now... My bad if wrong..

If he’s on no more than £15/£20k a week he’s worth keeping round as a squad player. Can cover the wings and central positions. I don’t think he’s good enough to start or be the first replacement but as a 4th/5th choice on those wages I would be happy to keep him around on the basis he would be happy with that role.

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, MPH said:

I don't think KDH had played for us yet at the same age as McAteer is now... My bad if wrong..

it’s not the age, just my personal assessment of his ability. Of course he could end up a great player but financially we aren’t in a situation to take many chances. I see him a bit like luke thomas, good lad, obviously has some ability but when watching you can sort of see where his ceiling is. 

if he’d take a championship wage then sure but that’s not how we’ve operated and you won’t find a senior pro south of 30k here 

my fear is he falters on loan and we’re stuck with that wage for the next 4 years. If we still have fans unconvinced after a championship season then I just don’t see it. 

Look at it this way, if he’d been on loan… would you want to sign him? or would you shake hands and move on? 

Edited by Lambert09

3 minutes ago, Lambert09 said:

it’s not the age, just my personal assessment of his ability. Of course he could end up a great player but financially we aren’t in a situation to take many chances. I see him a bit like luke thomas, good lad, obviously has some ability but when watching you can sort of see where his ceiling is. 

if he’d take a championship wage then sure but that’s not how we’ve operated and you won’t find a senior pro south of 30k here 

my fear is he falters on loan and we’re stuck with that wage for the next 4 years. If we still have fans unconvinced after a championship season then I just don’t see it. 

Look at it this way, if he’d been on loan… would you want to sign him? or would you shake hands and move on? 

Well my point was that KDH wasn't considered good enough at his age either... and he's had more exposure to the first team already than what KHD had... so some players grow with the more games they play and its possible Kasey is like that. I favour the idea of him getting a  a loan to a champ team that will play him regularly and see how that grabs him.

Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, MPH said:

Well my point was that KDH wasn't considered good enough at his age either... and he's had more exposure to the first team already than what KHD had... so some players grow with the more games they play and its possible Kasey is like that. I favour the idea of him getting a  a loan to a champ team that will play him regularly and see how that grabs him.

I’m not saying he couldn’t develop further but tbf to kdh he was instantly blackpools best player, winning all of their accolades. If he had been just alright we probably wouldn’t have stuck with him. Then he stepped up to championship and again was levels apart… at the end of that, he was the profile of player we’d want to sign. All before a new deal was receieved. 

Chillwell… miles above championship standard and crushed it with huddersfield. 

Barnes… miles above again, and west broms best player. 

I think if they will be good enough for the prem they show it quite easily. 

Kasey has had a good season but for a forward player, in a team as dominant as ours… naturally it won’t paint the full picture with the player.  It’s just a shame we are in a contract situation where we’d have to commit to something quite high now. A good director of football would have had a moderate deal on the table early in the season when he was getting in the first team. But now his agent will be saying that a prem player should be on XYZ. 

We are in the situation we are because we give plays contracts that they don’t warrant. It’s a gamble and personally if I was DOF i would be looking at Alves as the more promising player and thinking Mcateer’s stock is currently high, we can cash in for a decent sum now (all profit) and not gamble that he doesn’t make the grade. Put a buy back clause in if you’re worried just like villa have.  

I don’t have a crystal ball but I just see this as a gamble and one that we’re not in a position to take because of the other bad deals we’ve done. 

Edited by Lambert09

1 minute ago, Lambert09 said:

I’m not saying he couldn’t develop further but tbf to kdh he was instantly blackpool a best player, winning all of their accolades. If he had been just alright we probably wouldn’t have stuck with him. Then he stepped up to championship and again was levels apart… at the end of that, he was the profile of player we’d want to sign. 

Chillwell… miles above championship standard and crushed it with huddersfield. 

Barnes… miles above again, and west brims best player. 

I think if they will be good enough for the prem they show it quite easily. 

Kasey has had a good season but for a forward player, in a team as dominant as ours… naturally it won’t paint the full picture with the player.  It’s just a shame we are in a contract situation where we’d have to commit to something quite high now. A good director of football would have had a moderate deal on the table early in the season when he was getting in the first team. But now his agent will be saying that a prem player should be on XYZ. 

We are in the situation we are because we give plays contracts that they don’t warrant. It’s a gamble and personally if I was DOF i would be looking at Alves as the more promising player and thinking Mcateer’s stock is currently high, we can cash in for a decent sum now (all profit) and not gamble that he doesn’t make the grade. Put a buy back clause in if you’re worried just like villa have.  

I don’t have a crystal ball but I just see this as a gamble and one that we’re not in a position to take because of the other bad deals we’ve done. 

Well, you might be right but your stance that this is a gamble is based on your assumption that he will be on a high wage, and that might not necessarily be true...

Guest Chocolate Teapot
2 hours ago, Lambert09 said:

If you'd watched KDH in the 21s at the same age then you'd have let him go on a free.....