Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
lcfc_forever

Kasey McAteer

I think he’ll turn into a decent prem player perhaps. Late bloomer like kdh but you’d argue as a club this is a wider issue. I do think we are justified in having faith in the academy when we think of the players we’ve produced and sold for a rather nice wedge. 

I like him.

Leicester boy. Quick. Eye for goal. Versatile (can play on the wings or his preferred position as a cm/cam). Works hard.

Yes, he has his flaws, but I honestly think he has a future here - possibly with the help of a loan to a promotion chasing championship team this season…

• Like 2

One of the great things about football is that it's full of completely different types of player, different characters, different styles of play.

I'll hold my hands up in thinking that it was quite clear he didn't suit the Enzo Maresca style of play.

But what McAteer was great at was carrying the ball AFTER breaking the line (rather than dribbling at players and taking them on) and arriving in the right place at the right time.

Positioning and taking opportunities when they present themselves will be of paramount importance this season.

I think he has a place here this season.

He only needs to look at his new team-mate Bobby De Cordova-Reid or someone like Michail Antonio as inspiration. Both have their flaws but have carved our pretty good careers for themselves within the right systems.

McAteer clearly has talent. And we were unfortunate not to see him at his best for a whole season in the last campaign. By the time he came back in we were 'more Enzo' and I don't think it really suited him.

Hopefully Cooper will be able to get the best out of him this season.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, HankMarvin said:

Newcastle interested according to Ben Jacob’s 

I hate Ben Jacobs with a passion, all he does all summer is link our players away, claims to be a fan, strange I didn't see his name pop up last season when we were in the championship

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Stuntman_Mike said:

I think the criticism of him is a bit unfair. 

He started last season very well and never really got back into the swing of it after his injury. 

I'd like to see him stay considering it was only his first season, or if he is to go, make it a decent loan move.

I get this viewpoint, but I'd sell now while his stock is still relatively high. Seems a good lad, fantastic off the ball movement – but there's just something missing, and I'm not sure it'll come if we keep hold and keep loaning him out (which we always seem reluctant to do with our young players anyway).

32 minutes ago, Miquel The Work Geordie said:

I get this viewpoint, but I'd sell now while his stock is still relatively high. Seems a good lad, fantastic off the ball movement – but there's just something missing, and I'm not sure it'll come if we keep hold and keep loaning him out (which we always seem reluctant to do with our young players anyway).

I just feel its worth the risk of keeping him and looking to increase his value. Especially if Cooper is as good with young players as its been suggested as well. 

Even if he has a poor start in the Prem it won't stop the interest from the level of clubs we'd sell him to now anyway. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Finnegan said:

He's from Northampton. 

Been here since 8 and supports the club - remember listening to an interview last year where he was talking about it. I think wanyas just done a podcast with the same people

Quite like Kasey, but he isn’t prem standard right now. If a decent bid comes in of 15m+ I would take it as it helps us in the short term. Especially if Soule is coming in as we then have mavididi and Bobby on the left and Fatawu and soule on the right with wanya too. It would then soften the blow of the soule fee and allow us to strengthen elsewhere. Let’s be clear, we still need a striker, a central midfielder and a full back to have a complete squad. Obviously there are variables here - we have winks, ndidi and choudhury so the double pivot is covered. We also still have Soumare on the books, whether he would be used in the double pivot or more advanced remains to be seen. We are not too far away from where we need to be squad wise.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dooflip said:

Quite like Kasey, but he isn’t prem standard right now. If a decent bid comes in of 15m+ I would take it as it helps us in the short term. Especially if Soule is coming in as we then have mavididi and Bobby on the left and Fatawu and soule on the right with wanya too. It would then soften the blow of the soule fee and allow us to strengthen elsewhere. Let’s be clear, we still need a striker, a central midfielder and a full back to have a complete squad. Obviously there are variables here - we have winks, ndidi and choudhury so the double pivot is covered. We also still have Soumare on the books, whether he would be used in the double pivot or more advanced remains to be seen. We are not too far away from where we need to be squad wise.

15m+? We'd be more likely to get 1.5m.

• Like 1

He's got a good engine and is a grafter, but we need better. He's also nearly 23 so he's not exactly a kid anymore. He'd be a good fit for a Preston/Cardiff/Bristol City etc.

45 minutes ago, Tuna said:

He's got a good engine and is a grafter, but we need better. He's also nearly 23 so he's not exactly a kid anymore. He'd be a good fit for a Preston/Cardiff/Bristol City etc.

People were saying the same about KDH a couple of years ago.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, dooflip said:

Absolutely no chance that anybody will  pay £15m for Kasey, based on what he has achieved so far. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Sunbury Fox said:

Absolutely no chance that anybody will  pay £15m for Kasey, based on what he has achieved so far. 

Depends if it's a like for like swap to get around accountability rules.

43 minutes ago, whoareyaaa said:

Think he is worth keeping hold off and see how he gets on next season.

I dont want to sound harsh but if he was in and around our 11 in the prem we are certain to be relegated.

Edited by les-tah
  • Like 3

I don't think he will be a part of our squad for the season

I can see him signing a new contract with us and then going out on loan in the Championship

Hopefully it goes well enough and we can get a bit of money for him next summer

• Like 3

I was surprised by him last season. I thought he really took his opportunities well. His injury knocked him back a bit.

Not sure he's ever going to be quite PL standard, but he works hard, has a bit of talent and knows where the goal is. 

Potentially a squad player next season. But more likely a loan to a championship club. 

We could be holding onto him for now as a makeweight in a deal - one of the “unrelated transactions” (like Golding with KDH) that a lot of teams seem to be doing this summer. It’s the fact he is homegrown and any money received is pure profit that CN immediately be banked. 
The PL have to fix this though - it makes no sense. 

• Like 1