Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Walshy5

Pitch invasions!

4 hours ago, Steve_Walsh5 said:

I remember it back in 2014 really pissing Schmeichel off that fans invaded the pitch. Think he was worried about the safety of his wife and children.

His wife and kids shouldn't have been on the bloody pitch in the first place!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Mr Mister said:

I think that pitch invasions are a great thing after a team has won the title or achieved promotion. It is the fans chance to show their appreciation.

No it is not, it is a minority of idiots showing they have no respect either for other fans or the players.

There was zero joy in that Man C invasion.

Not against them, when they are a result of emotion spilling over when maybe a last mi ute winner has been scored or when the out is unknown until the very end, but all this talk in advance about having one takes all the joy out of it for eveyone except a tiny minority.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Mr Mister said:

I think that pitch invasions are a great thing after a team has won the title or achieved promotion. It is the fans chance to show their appreciation.

The problem is that a minority will ruin it for the majority.  Minority will hurt people, with kids involved, and away fans, i can see why clubs do not want this to happen.

• Like 2

One of my favourite recent sporting memories is being at Grace Road for the semi final of the one day cup last year when the handful of rowdy boys starting singing 'If Leicester win, we're on there pitch.' After a while, one very elderly security guard shuffled over to stand in front of them looking extremely worried. 

No pitch invasion followed, but there was a very high level of pisstaking. 

• Haha 2

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, MonkeyTennis? said:

One of my favourite recent sporting memories is being at Grace Road for the semi final of the one day cup last year when the handful of rowdy boys starting singing 'If Leicester win, we're on there pitch.' After a while, one very elderly security guard shuffled over to stand in front of them looking extremely worried. 

No pitch invasion followed, but there was a very high level of pisstaking. 

One of my favourite highlights of Grace Road growing up was taking a ball and bat to play on the pitch during the innings break. It was the norm. Such a shame kids of today will never experience that with all the health and safety/security gone mad

Edited by HybridFox
  • Like 3

20 hours ago, MattFox said:

That was the second invasion after the trophy lift

Was a small one before the lift aswell 

Stewards let everyone stand on the track next to the pitch that day which would be unthinkable under the current regime 

Current regime?

When did we get the new owners then?

6 hours ago, HybridFox said:

One of my favourite highlights of Grace Road growing up was taking a ball and bat to play on the pitch during the innings break. It was the norm. Such a shame kids of today will never experience that with all the health and safety/security gone mad

They do still allow that on the family fun day they hold each year. Took my two oldest down two years ago and they loved it

48 minutes ago, Guy said:

Me and a few thousand other dicks on the day then....

5 minutes ago, purpleronnie said:

Sounds like an 18-30's back in the day.

And that was just the new parks girls 😂 

I can understand it in the heat of the moment, the team has achieved something huge and it's a natural reaction of relief after a stressful game. 

Doing it when a game has been done and dusted for 30 minutes or even worse when nothing has been achieved on the actual day is weird as hell to me. It's just forced. Like the nob head #LadsLadsLads that like doing over the top LIMBS celebrations for a goal that means very little.

Scored to make it 4-0 in the 89th minute! Let's push people over and lob our drinks in the air!

• Like 4

Man City's yesterday looked as fake and crap as their fanbase. Doing it for the sake of doing it. I can't remember seeing them at any other team winning the Premier League, last day or not. 

If you survive relegation or get promoted on the last day/game of the season I think it's fair. Reaching a semi final or winning a semi final just seems stupid and pathetic. It also looks a bit naff when it's teams with massive stadiums in my opinion, but that may be just me hating all these souless looking stadiums we play in now. 

27 minutes ago, filbertway said:

I can understand it in the heat of the moment, the team has achieved something huge and it's a natural reaction of relief after a stressful game. 

Doing it when a game has been done and dusted for 30 minutes or even worse when nothing has been achieved on the actual day is weird as hell to me. It's just forced. Like the nob head #LadsLadsLads that like doing over the top LIMBS celebrations for a goal that means very little.

Scored to make it 4-0 in the 89th minute! Let's push people over and lob our drinks in the air!

This is basically it. The best example I can think of certainly in this country is Watford's Deeney moment. Spilling onto the pitch in that moment, at that time was such a spontaneous outpouring of joy.

Anything else just feels like doing it for doing it sake, and that includes the Doncaster one we did in 2014. It's going on because loads of others will, get your social videos, give someone a video call and away you go, really.

It's not even that I find pitch invasions so detestable, it's just that we can all accurately sterotype the kind of people who are gagging for them. Plus those who are desperate for a souvenir from one of their players, or desperate to goad/wind up one of the opposition.

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
21 hours ago, purpleronnie said:

Sounds like an 18-30's back in the day.

I dunno so much, I was 45 at the time and definitely wasn't "born middle aged" - like some saddos on this thread!! 

Edited by Guy

Posted (edited)

It’s just part of the sanitisation of football (especially at the top level). We can’t possibly interact with these £100k per week superstars who have literally nothing in common with us anymore and we must bow down to them. There were more pitch invasions in 70/80/90s before social media even existed. The top clubs used to pitch invade (Man Utd/Liverpool) but now they are soulless, corporate entities devoid of young people. 

I’m too old for it now personally, but it’s always good to witness. Looks like i’l be bringing along my clapper in future to tap along to Uptown Funk with the majority of this thread! 

Edited by Chris_OGrady
  • Like 4

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Chris_OGrady said:

It’s just part of the sanitisation of football (especially at the top level). We can’t possibly interact with these £100k per week superstars who have literally nothing in common with us anymore and we must bow down to them. There were more pitch invasions in 70/80/90s before social media even existed. The top clubs used to pitch invade (Man Utd/Liverpool) but now they are soulless, corporate entities devoid of young people. 

I’m too old for it now personally, but it’s always good to witness. Looks like i’l be bringing along my clapper in future to tap along to Uptown Funk with the majority of this thread! 

Too right, a lot of why pitch invasions seem to be frowned upon now by presumably the younger, social media driven generation or adults who were 'born middle aged' are for the reasons of sterility you mention, not to mention the modern day disconnect between the multi millionaire players and the fans....perhaps with one or two exceptions like Vardy!

Edited by Guy

7 hours ago, Daggers said:

IMG_6606.jpeg

That was after we beat Charlton 2-1, last home match 1979-80.

Funny old day.  We were "nearly" promoted, but not quite.  Only certain results and a 8 goal swing for Chelsea would have deprived us.

Note that it was mainly non Kop/DD on the pitch.  In the background you can see everyone in pen 2 and pen 3 stuck behind spiked fences.

On 18/05/2024 at 18:48, Steve_Guppy_Left_Foot said:

What happened to that lad who came in here asking for advice after making a bit of a tit of himself (no offence if reading this) and got a stadium ban and wanted it over turned?

Tried to impose a 3yr ban. Got reduced to 1.