Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Sly

Harry Souttar - Outgoing to pastures new

3 hours ago, LestaLad said:

It’s a shame with Souttar, because I think there’s a proper player there and I would even go as far as saying if he was playing throughout the whole of our relegation season, we would’ve stayed up. 

He was superb in that 0-0 draw at Newcastle in the penultimate game of the relegation season. Next season we're likely to have to defend deep against strong opposition much more frequently. He might come in useful then.

• Like 4

I just dont get why people want to go back to large part of the team that were so awful when we got relegated. Vesty.. Souttar.. both players who could hardly get a game during our most awful season.. why do people want to rely on them in the prem again? CB is our most important position next season, it could be argued...

4 minutes ago, MPH said:

I just dont get why people want to go back to large part of the team that were so awful when we got relegated. Vesty.. Souttar.. both players who could hardly get a game during our most awful season.. why do people want to rely on them in the prem again? CB is our most important position next season, it could be argued...

Hard to criticise players for not getting in a side, Iversen was quite clearly miles ahead of Ward and didn't get a look in until the end of the season. There's sometimes more to football then just ability unfortunately.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

Signed for £15m with £5m add ons (doubt they add ons have been met) on a five and half year contract meaning his contracts up until 2029.

He has 4 years remaining, so we would have to roughly make around £10/£11m to break even on the deal. Like others stated, can see it being a loan for Souttar unless Saudi come knocking as he’s classed as an Asian player.

Edited by Bluearmyfox28

5 minutes ago, Bluearmyfox28 said:

Signed for £15m with £5m add ons (doubt they add ons have been met) on a five and half year contract meaning his contracts up until 2029.

He has 4 years remaining, so we would have to roughly make around £10/£11m to break even on the deal. Like others stated, can see it being a loan for Souttar unless Saudi come knocking as he’s classed as an Asian player.

I don’t think Harry would be soutted by the Saudi climate !

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, ajthefox said:

I don't think many people are really clamouring for him to be 1st choice CB but Souttar was only signed in January to a team in turmoil. I think it's pretty harsh to judge him on the small amount of playing time he has had in such circumstances.

The other point is that we need to be frugal, and every new player we need comes with the difficulty of paying a fee. We're already tied to Souttar for the time being, I think people are just advocating we utilise our existing assets as best as we can and perhaps give the lad a proper chance.

I get what you are saying, but if successive managers don't really play someone much  then we have to think there could be an issue that would make it detrimental to play him...

His value has dropped off a cliff and with Doyle going back to Man City, no news on Vestys future and rumoured interest in Coady, he moves up the pecking order without doing a thing. We can't do anything with him until we know what we're doing with others and I don't think we're in a position where we're going to have to beat away suitors with a rusty mallet unless some Saudi prince has a hard on for out of place Australians, but then he could just buy a copy of Crocodile Dundee.

That's not a knife.

• Haha 1

I refuse to believe he couldn't have played a much bigger part last season and it's on a long list of bizarre decisions for me from Enzo. 

When he played a game like Stoke at home we didn't see any less possession or playing from the back. To just disregard him and not even consider him for the lesser games, then complain about tiredness. Mad. 

The club can't be too happy to have seen so many players depreciate in value just because of a refusal to acknowledge them either. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, MPH said:

He joined a dressing room that had fully gone to shit, a manager that had thrown them under the bus and lost his head, and didn't play enough.

He's scored 5 goals for Australia this season, he's hard to beat, he can pick a long pass and break up an attack. We just haven't seen him do any of it so no idea if he's capable in the prem.

Got to trust Enzo on it I think.

Posted (edited)
25 minutes ago, Bourbon Fox said:

He joined a dressing room that had fully gone to shit, a manager that had thrown them under the bus and lost his head, and didn't play enough.

He's scored 5 goals for Australia this season, he's hard to beat, he can pick a long pass and break up an attack. We just haven't seen him do any of it so no idea if he's capable in the prem.

Got to trust Enzo on it I think.

you make it sound like he was a regular prem defender at a top club before he joined us!

Yet, he had only played 61 games for stoke in a 7 year period. His biggest season was 19-20 , playing 45 ganes for Fleetwood Town. Other than that, he splayed for Dundee and Ross County.  Hardly the stellar career for the person you are making him out to be..

Edited by MPH
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, JimJams said:

His value has dropped off a cliff and with Doyle going back to Man City, no news on Vestys future and rumoured interest in Coady, he moves up the pecking order without doing a thing. We can't do anything with him until we know what we're doing with others and I don't think we're in a position where we're going to have to beat away suitors with a rusty mallet unless some Saudi prince has a hard on for out of place Australians, but then he could just buy a copy of Crocodile Dundee.

That's not a knife.

I see what you did there ;)

19 hours ago, HankMarvin said:

Aren’t the links because he was pictured wearing a retro rangers top whilst away with us 

Yes, I heard that too though his brother is there.

I suppose we never really know what goes on behind the scenes and what his persona and attitude are like. There's clearly a reason why Enzo didn't play him at all. 

9 hours ago, MPH said:

you make it sound like he was a regular prem defender at a top club before he joined us!

Yet, he had only played 61 games for stoke in a 7 year period. His biggest season was 19-20 , playing 45 ganes for Fleetwood Town. Other than that, he splayed for Dundee and Ross County.  Hardly the stellar career for the person you are making him out to be..

He can play, he is hard to beat, he can pick a long pass.

I'm not saying he's Franco Baresi, and I'm happy to take Enzo's assessment if he doesn't think he's good enough.

Law number 1 of Foxestalk football analysis: Whichever player isn’t getting a game is definitely the answer to our problems.

I remember when we still had Schmeichel and people on here were shouting out for Ward to take number one spot!

• Haha 3