Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Tuna

Enzo to Chelsea?

Given Mark Robbin’s did a brilliant job polishing a Turd, surprised Chelsea are not sniffing around him:ph34r:

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Finnegan said:

To be clear, if Maresca is chosen by Chelsea I will be absolutely amazed if he stays here. 

Probably the only way that happens is if Top and Whelan meet with him personally, have the principal accountant and the lead counsel for the club both turn up and reassure him with complete transparency that we have a war chest and can spend to build a Premier League team and that FFP isn't going to be a problem.

Given that there's about a 1% chance that's even possible, let alone happens, he'd almost certainly leave. 

Chelsea might be a mess but so are we and the flip side of Chelsea's lunacy is there will be plenty of people that won't write him off if it goes wrong. There'll be a whole list of clubs willing to give any manager that Chelsea thought was a good pick a job even if he can't make it work there. 

It's a good move. I just can't be hearing any suggestion that Chelsea aren't an absolute freak show atm.

I'm not so sure. Enzo has stated several times that he wants to stay at one club and really build something up. This has been reinforced by Guilleme Balagué, who was saying in the WYS podcast the other day that Enzo doesn't really have any ambition to manage at a massive club, and that he'd prefer to be somewhere where he's got more control over things so that he can realise his vision without interference. At Chelsea he would be expected to accept that he's basically just the coach and that he will have to accept constant interference from above from people who don't even understand the game. Both Tuchel and Pochettino ended up leaving because they found it difficult to work under those conditions.

Maybe I'm naïve, but I can see Enzo not particularly fancying that. Managers tend to be quite pally with each other and I'm sure Enzo would speak to Pochettino and others before taking the job on. Their experiences might put him off.

I'm not suggesting he'd definitely turn it down - maybe he wouldn't. But at the same time I'm not entirely convinced by this "If Chelsea come in, he's definitely off" view that a lot of people seem to have. 

Edited by ClaphamFox
  • Like 3

21 minutes ago, ClaphamFox said:

he wants to stay at one club and really build something up

Sure but like I said, doing an alright job in the circumstances at Chelsea would open doors. 

If the worst is unfolding at Leicester then he can't build anything here anyway and the trust might be gone. We don't have a clue what the situation is and we still won't for a few weeks tbf. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, indierich06 said:

Graham Potter anyone?

I suspect our looming points deduction might put him off. In fact, it would put off a lot of the better candidates out there. If Enzo leaves (and I personally don't think he will), we'll be trying to recruit his replacement in a period of high uncertainty given that we won't know how big the deduction is going to be, and therefore how difficult a challenge we'll face next season. That will complicate the recruitment process, you'd have thought.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Chelsea situation is an odd once. They basically have to find a manager who won’t have much say in transfers and will also have to take some interference on team selection. , according to recent reports. I’d be surprised if Maresca is that kind of person.

But it’s Chelsea. He could make more there in a year than 2-3 years with us.. then the bonuses for  getting into European competition would be huge and the prestige..

Im hoping he’s principled enough to want  to run the team his way and get the players he wants and he has a bit more chance to do that with us, with this contract negotiation going on…

Edited by MPH

I don't think he'll be Chelsea's first choice, I think they want McKenna - it's similar vibes to when they went for Potter. Not a good move for McKenna, and perhaps he may want to go to Man U when ten Hag leaves in the summer.

1 hour ago, ClaphamFox said:

I suspect our looming points deduction might put him off. In fact, it would put off a lot of the better candidates out there. If Enzo leaves (and I personally don't think he will), we'll be trying to recruit his replacement in a period of high uncertainty given that we won't know how big the deduction is going to be, and therefore how difficult a challenge we'll face next season. That will complicate the recruitment process, you'd have thought.

I don’t think it will. Everton and Forest have proved that you don’t need to panic. We don’t need to panic, about it or worry about it…. It’s likely to be a max of 8, which probably won’t come until the winter, and we could, could, be in an healthy position by then so it doesn’t have too much of an impact on the season. 

So I don’t think it would, provided to can build the squad deal with it. 

Managers like challenges, good managers do even more so. For example a Potter, may see a good stint here as an opportunity to rebuild his career. 

54 minutes ago, pkonline said:

I don't think he'll be Chelsea's first choice, I think they want McKenna - it's similar vibes to when they went for Potter. Not a good move for McKenna, and perhaps he may want to go to Man U when ten Hag leaves in the summer.

I don’t think Man Utd or Chelsea will want McKenna. They will or should want a top level manager, and he hasn’t the experience to take on a big club. 

34 minutes ago, Wortho said:

I don’t think Man Utd or Chelsea will want McKenna. They will or should want a top level manager, and he hasn’t the experience to take on a big club. 

Chelsea have taken some chances in recent times, McKenna has more of a better CV than Lampard as an example.  He also likes his team to play attacking which I can imagine is an exciting prospect, double promotion with the same team is a massive selling point on the CV.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Wortho said:

There aren't many top level managers out there to recruit - it's very competitive.

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, Chrysalis said:

Chelsea have taken some chances in recent times, McKenna has more of a better CV than Lampard as an example.  He also likes his team to play attacking which I can imagine is an exciting prospect, double promotion with the same team is a massive selling point on the CV.

Yes they play attacking football, they also let in 57 goals 🤷‍♀️

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Wortho said:

Yes they play attacking football, they also let in 57 goals 🤷‍♀️

That tends to happen when you play attacking football.  What was your point?

Rather win 3-2 than 1-0 personally.  Fans also usually want to be entertained.

Edited by Chrysalis
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Chrysalis said:

That tends to happen when you play attacking football.  What was your point?

Rather win 3-2 than 1-0 personally.  Fans also usually want to be entertained.

Not sure the Chelsea fans or more importantly the owners will accept that. 

Let’s face it McKenna will struggle in a premier job. And with Ipswich they’ll be relegated next season.

10 hours ago, indierich06 said:

Graham Potter anyone?

After the failure at Chelsea, Potter is going to be very careful about his next move. He'll get far better offers than Leicester City and the shambles they find themselves in. He'll want better odds than what we can offer. We're a lot further down the food chain now. 

McKenna apparently has offers from both Brighton and Chelsea on the same terms.  Now that is an interesting choice.  I think though, if you choose Brighton, Chelsea won't ask again, whereas the other way round they might.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Wortho said:

A recognised top manager, of which there aren't many, simply wouldn't go there.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, pkonline said:

There aren't many top level managers out there to recruit - it's very competitive.

You’d be surprised 

allegri

poch

conte

Low

flick

Rudi garcia

sarri

Kovac

these are all coaches who have led successful big clubs. Plenty of younger ones out there too. 

52 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

You’d be surprised 

allegri

poch

conte

Low

flick

Rudi garcia

sarri

Kovac

these are all coaches who have led successful big clubs. Plenty of younger ones out there too. 

That’s true. Also there’s Klopp when he gets his energy back 😅

11 hours ago, volpeazzurro said:

After the failure at Chelsea, Potter is going to be very careful about his next move. He'll get far better offers than Leicester City and the shambles they find themselves in. He'll want better odds than what we can offer. We're a lot further down the food chain now. 

Will he, Are we thou?

If he wants to stay in the EPL the pool of clubs looking or potentially going to be looking for a new manager is shrinking, he is not going to any of the traditional top 6, Man U at 1 point but now Poch, McKenna being mentioned that gigs gone, so working down Newcastle potentially but if they get rid of Howe they will be after a ‘big name’ and it won’t have an Anglo Saxon ring to it would be my guess, Villa won’t be looking past Emery & was he even looked at for the West Ham job? 
Now you’re getting into the smaller echelons of the epl where we will be positioned next season, Palace & Fulham won’t be looking for new managers, does he go back to Brighton? How far down are we going on the food chain, Everton or Wolves (again can’t see them looking past what they have), Bournemouth, Forest, Brentford…Ipswich?

Ohh I’ve run out of clubs, which clubs are we well behind that would potentially want a new manager or even hypothetically for that matter.

Not a lot of talk has come his way from abroad either and the longer he waits the more his stock is watered down, he needs another club and soon.

We are in a pickle financial granted but there’s another 11 or 12 teams in the epl that won’t be splurging either and none of them hold a candle to our recent history, we will be seen as a big draw for managers outside of those top 6-8 clubs & if he wanted to get back in we above all the ‘rest’ would be perfect for him to build his credits back up.

I say that in regards to if let’s say he went to (pick a team)…Palace, a mid table (meh) team he finishes mid table well done here’s a credit but if he goes to Leicester who potentially have point deductions, strangled by PSR, thin squad etc but keeps them up..credit, credit, credit….credit!

• Like 1