Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Happy Fox

Managerial Replacements

29 minutes ago, Fox92 said:

Not that I want Moyes but mid-table?? In 11 seasons at Everton he finished in the top 7 8 times (top 6 5 times including 4th once). Especially at a time that was dominated by Ferguson and Wenger, and then the arrival of Mourinho.

I was always impressed with Moyes at Everton and he used to get the best out of players (Cahill, Baines, Fellaini etc). 

But football has changed a lot since then. His more recent job at West Ham was successful and won the Europa Conference League of course.

I can see why people think he’d be solid. But, aside from 2 out of his 4.5 years at West Ham which he got them to 6th & 7th, they were largely an average team. Yes he won them the Conference League but they had a much easier run in than our year and had Paqueta, Rice & Bowen who are arguably top 4 players. In the PL they were very bang average, they finished 14th in 22/23 and although they finished 9th last year the points totals for the league were turgid (Fulham finished 13th in 48 points). 

I’d say on the whole he’s been pretty crap since leaving Everton. 2 good years in 11 doesn’t fill me with confidence tbh. 

2 hours ago, Fear Of The Fox said:

Corberan has failed to meet his board's season expectations in Championship. 

His board were deluded then. He signed 9 players since arriving, all on loan deals and 1x free transfer, what were WBA expecting?

• Like 2

3 hours ago, JimmyC74 said:

Even Rudders, surely, couldn’t think that bringing in Garcia for Enzo would fly.

Course he would, he’s as inept as they come and Garcia presents the least work for him. Top might even reward him for the quick turnaround and let him play with his horses instead of doing his actual job

When both Claudio and Puel were appointed it kind of caught us off guard, is there anybody we can think off that would be what we could consider likely but at the same time surprising. First name came to me was MON, due to the fact the owners know he's a club legend and think this may give the supporters a little lift, but then again MON's methods aren't exactly great in this modern day of football. Plus his last three jobs has been pretty poor and resulted in him getting the sack.

This FFP and sanctions looming over us is a real headache and quite possibly hinder any good managerial talents we’d be able to attract. This is not quite as straightforward as I thought it was going to be. Damn!

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, cityfanlee23 said:

His board were deluded then. He signed 9 players since arriving, all on loan deals and 1x free transfer, what were WBA expecting?

Idk what WBA were expecting. The manager has targets and board expectations at the start of the season. Corberan knew all this. WBA board expectations were promotion through the PO. If, as a manager, you believe this isn't achievable you either resign or get in talks to downgrade these expectations. 

Fact is Corberan failed to get WBA promoted. 

P. S. This happened with all the other PO teams in a generally bad shape and out of form. 

Edited by Fear Of The Fox

Just now, Fear Of The Fox said:

Idk what WBA were expecting. The manager has targets and board expectations at the start of the season. Corberan knew all this. WBA board expectations were promotion through the PO. If, as a manager, you believe this isn't achievable you either resign or get in talks to downgrade these expectations. 

Fact is Corberan failed to get WBA promoted. 

As a manager, you always back yourself, and you don't turn down a bigger club just incase you can't meet the board expectations, he overachieved with the squad/money he had. The delusions of the WBA board are irrelevant to us either way. I think if we think staying up will be hard, we need someone who would be willing to go down with us and build a project, we might struggle to find a manager with prem experience who would be willing to do that, Carlos' track record in the Championship is great. 
If anything, the delusions of WBA board is good for us. 

• Like 2

Just now, CaliFOXnia said:

Well, for all the people who have crack on their cornflakes and were suggesting Jose, he's off to Fenerbache on a 2 year deal by the looks.. 

Isn't this evidence that we potentially could have got him though? We are in a state but the Premier League vs the Super Lig is a bit of a no brainer for me. 

1 minute ago, cityfanlee23 said:

As a manager, you always back yourself, and you don't turn down a bigger club just incase you can't meet the board expectations, he overachieved with the squad/money he had. The delusions of the WBA board are irrelevant to us either way. I think if we think staying up will be hard, we need someone who would be willing to go down with us and build a project, we might struggle to find a manager with prem experience who would be willing to do that, Carlos' track record in the Championship is great. 
If anything, the delusions of WBA board is good for us. 

I don't disagree with you and all the figures re transfers and money spent there are spot on. I'm just taking a pragmatic approach strictly talking about the achievement of the manager compared to a realistic (or not realistic) board target. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, cityfanlee23 said:

Isn't this evidence that we potentially could have got him though? We are in a state but the Premier League vs the Super Lig is a bit of a no brainer for me. 

Fenerbache are in the Champions League qualifiers mate, with a decent squad, a real chance of silverware in Turkey and probably bags full of dodgy cash on top of the fortunes they'll be paying him.

Aside from those things they have on us, I don't really think anyone could have seriously thought Jose was a realistic proposition for us, surely..?

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, cruzFOX said:

This FFP and sanctions looming over us is a real headache and quite possibly hinder any good managerial talents we’d be able to attract. This is not quite as straightforward as I thought it was going to be. Damn!

Why on earth did you even consider that it was going to be straightforward?...

LCFC is a basket case of a club.

6 minutes ago, cityfanlee23 said:

Mourihno is a manager that I'm 100% sure would have managed to avoid any relegation battle next season. But he's an unrealistic target, you have more chances to win the Euromillions than him coming to manage Leicester. We couldn't even keep players like  Drinkwater and Chilwell for another season back then. The city and the team will never be attractive even if we win another PL title or even two titles in a row. 

• Like 1

A manager I've always liked since he was at Wednesday is Carlos Carvalhal, Had a bit of a rough couple of jobs recently, but did a good job at Wednesday with a nutcase chairman who used to interfere in the dressing room and demand certain players are played, went to Swansea in December and almost kept them up having taken over in a perilous position.
Went to Rio Ave and led them to Europa League qualification with their best-ever points tally.
Went to Braga and lost the league cup final to Sporting, but won the Taca de Portugal beating Benfica 2-0 in the final (beat Porto also) Finished 4th in the league and reached the quarter-finals of the Europa League beating Monaco on the way (same season we got knocked into the Europa Conference)

I'm not sure he would be right for us, but would be an interesting one no doubt. 

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, CaliFOXnia said:

Fenerbache are in the Champions League qualifiers mate, with a decent squad, a real chance of silverware in Turkey and probably bags full of dodgy cash on top of the fortunes they'll be paying him.

Aside from those things they have on us, I don't really think anyone could have seriously thought Jose was a realistic proposition for us, surely..?

Yeah I get that and obviously the Champions league is a big draw, but the Super Lig is something like the 8th or 9th best league in Europe, surely he could go to Portugal or Netherlands and be in the same position? 
I don't think Jose was a serious suggestion, but if he's going to the 9th league in the European pyramid just to get Championship football and manage Fred surely the Premier League would be a bigger prospect?

27 minutes ago, shiv said:

I can see why people think he’d be solid. But, aside from 2 out of his 4.5 years at West Ham which he got them to 6th & 7th, they were largely an average team. Yes he won them the Conference League but they had a much easier run in than our year and had Paqueta, Rice & Bowen who are arguably top 4 players. In the PL they were very bang average, they finished 14th in 22/23 and although they finished 9th last year the points totals for the league were turgid (Fulham finished 13th in 48 points). 

I’d say on the whole he’s been pretty crap since leaving Everton. 2 good years in 11 doesn’t fill me with confidence tbh. 

Not saying it will be Moyes but average in Premier without relegation would be OK with me. I think after West Ham moved the club struggled with their identity for a bit. Overall I think he did OK there If we had won the Conference League few here would think of it other than an achievement. 

5 minutes ago, Fear Of The Fox said:

Mourihno is a manager that I'm 100% sure would have managed to avoid any relegation battle next season. But he's an unrealistic target, you have more chances to win the Euromillions than him coming to manage Leicester. We couldn't even keep players like  Drinkwater and Chilwell for another season back then. The city and the team will never be attractive even if we win another PL title or even two titles in a row. 

Yeah I never actually thought he would come here, I'm just surprised he's dropped down to the Super Liga. He could go to Netherlands or back to Portugal for example. 

Just now, cityfanlee23 said:

Yeah I never actually thought he would come here, I'm just surprised he's dropped down to the Super Liga. He could go to Netherlands or back to Portugal for example. 

He's been given a boat load of cash, comes in as the new presidents poster boy, and gets to enjoy another country for a couple of years? 

5 minutes ago, cityfanlee23 said:

A manager I've always liked since he was at Wednesday is Carlos Carvalhal, Had a bit of a rough couple of jobs recently, but did a good job at Wednesday with a nutcase chairman who used to interfere in the dressing room and demand certain players are played, went to Swansea in December and almost kept them up having taken over in a perilous position.
Went to Rio Ave and led them to Europa League qualification with their best-ever points tally.
Went to Braga and lost the league cup final to Sporting, but won the Taca de Portugal beating Benfica 2-0 in the final (beat Porto also) Finished 4th in the league and reached the quarter-finals of the Europa League beating Monaco on the way (same season we got knocked into the Europa Conference)

I'm not sure he would be right for us, but would be an interesting one no doubt. 

We've really declined if that's who we'd be after. Did pretty well at Wednesday but a 4th place finish at Braga is par for the course. Way behind the top 3 in terms of budget but then there's a huge gap between Braga and the rest. It's very much a top 4 there of which they're slightly on the outside. Had a decent career but with all the younger managers out there, he'd be a dreadful choice.

3 minutes ago, cityfanlee23 said:

Yeah I get that and obviously the Champions league is a big draw, but the Super Lig is something like the 8th or 9th best league in Europe, surely he could go to Portugal or Netherlands and be in the same position? 
I don't think Jose was a serious suggestion, but if he's going to the 9th league in the European pyramid just to get Championship football and manage Fred surely the Premier League would be a bigger prospect?

You've got to look at his CV and what he's achieved in the game pal. In my opinion there is absolutely no chance whatsoever that a manager who has won 2 UCL's, 3 Premier Leagues, 2 Serie A's and 2 La Liga titles comes to a newly promoted Premier League side, and that's before you throw FFP, Jon Rudkin and a possible points deduction into the mix. 

Near certain relegation isn't something he needs to add to that, and nor should he want to. I don't think the draw of the Premier League is anywhere near enough to outweigh the risks of taking a job that you have a probably 5% chance of being succesful in from the get-go.