Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Happy Fox

Managerial Replacements

Some will give him a chance but to be honest - for a lot of people this won't go down well.  This reminds me of when Everton appointed Rafa as manager. Fans generally aren't going to be behind him - and poor results will be met with far more criticism than usual. That's not what we need when we'll likely be in a perilous position for most of next season. I hope it's not him because I think it's a massive gamble.

If this happens, it reveals more than anything how bad the financial situation is. Compensation of around £10million and we appoint the cheapest option whose track record in the premier league is far from impressive. It also couldn't be a greater change from what we've been trying to do with possession-based managers over the past 7 years. Another indictment of how dire the financial situation must be. 

• Like 1

The people who will get behind him aren't the problem 

The vast amount of people who won't are. 

Seriously I think this appointment would be braindead by the board (so will happen) as it just fractures the club even more.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BenTheFox said:

If this happens, it reveals more than anything how bad the financial situation is. Compensation of around £10million and we appoint the cheapest option whose track record in the premier league is far from impressive. It also couldn't be a greater change from what we've been trying to do with possession-based managers over the past 7 years. Another indictment of how dire the financial situation must be. 

If we are going for someone out of work I would much rather we took a gamble on someone like RvN. 

1 minute ago, kingfox said:

Cooper would be a could be worse, could be better, type of appointment. 

But I find it very disappointing how some fans completely disregard his success of developing youth. 

Look at the calibre of players he’s played a part in developing over the years. 

Sterling, Alexander-Arnold, Guehi, Foden, Hudson-Odoi, Sancho, Smith Rowe, Angel Gomes, Gibbs-White, Gallagher, Harwood-Bellis, Madueke, Rogers, Trafford, Palmer, Rodon, Spence, Garner, Johnson. 

If it is to be Cooper, then I hope we back him by getting a cluster of British talent through the door, so we can potentially have something to look forward to for the present and future of Leicester City. 

All of which played for some of the best academies in the country? He did well with England youth but let’s not pretend he’s the one that gave Sterling & Trent their Liverpool debut lol 

• Like 3

If we have a points deduction we’re going to have to win lots of games (sounds very obvious I know) because of any points deductions. Cooper doesn’t have the appetite to take the game to the opposition that we need. 

Negative 352 set ups won’t keeps us up, we might ‘keep it tight’ but that’s not what we need.

3 minutes ago, LVFox said:

Underwhelming for me, I just also don't see that he suits our current squad of players  

To be fair, we’ll probably find out today how much of a “squad” we actually have left lol 

The new manager is going to have to get a tune out of Alves, Braybrooke and Nelson next season for sure. Might be better it’s someone with a background in doing that.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, LVFox said:

Underwhelming for me, I just also don't see that he suits our current squad of players  

Why? He's not known for an adherence to a particular style of play. In the Championship with Swansea and Forest, he played possession football (as he did with England youth). Then in the Premier League with Forest, he tried a number of different formations and approaches. In this sense he's the opposite of Maresca, who was totally committed to one style of play. You can argue about the relative merits of being tactically focused to the point of rigidity (ie Maresca) vs being so flexible you don't even have a clear identity (ie Cooper), but to say that Cooper doesn't suit our current squad is a bit odd - his career so far suggests he'll choose whatever formation/tactics he believes the squad is best suited to. 

Anyway...all this may be academic as I'm not even convinced it will be Cooper yet.

Edited by ClaphamFox
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Haywood_6 said:

Some will give him a chance but to be honest - for a lot of people this won't go down well.  This reminds me of when Everton appointed Rafa as manager. Fans generally aren't going to be behind him - and poor results will be met with far more criticism than usual. That's not what we need when we'll likely be in a perilous position for most of next season. I hope it's not him because I think it's a massive gamble.

I think this is precisely what worries me.

In some ways it shouldn’t matter, but it probably will make a difference.

We, like most football clubs, have a very fickle fan base, but usually a manager would be afforded a short grace period. If this starts badly, however, I could see many becoming very negative, very quickly. 

5 minutes ago, shiv said:

All of which played for some of the best academies in the country? He did well with England youth but let’s not pretend he’s the one that gave Sterling & Trent their Liverpool debut lol 

But he played a part in their development, which is a straight up fact.

You’ll be absolutely loving the bloke, when he turns Sammy Braybrooke into an England International ;) 

1 minute ago, ealingfox said:

Do they give refunds on season tickets if you ask pre-season btw? Asking for a friend.

If your friend is genuinely thinking of giving up his season ticket because we might be appointing Steve Cooper, tie him up to a chair, put on a leather glove to protect your knuckles and punch him repeatedly in the face until he sees sense. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Steve Cooper? The same Steve Cooper that Brendan Rodgers tactically outclassed in that 4-0 victory? Yeah, no. It's going to be a hard pass from me.

3 minutes ago, kingfox said:

But he played a part in their development, which is a straight up fact.

You’ll be absolutely loving the bloke, when he turns Sammy Braybrooke into an England International ;) 

Brendan Rodgers played a part in KDH’s development, doesn’t mean he’s not a terrorist.

• Haha 2

Just now, Iran said:

Steve Cooper? The same Steve Cooper that Brendan Rodgers tactically outclassed in that 4-0 victory? Yeah, no. It's going to be a hard pass from me.

On the flipside of the coin, he absolutely humped Rodgers in that FA cup game. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Stadt said:

If we have a points deduction we’re going to have to win lots of games (sounds very obvious I know) because of any points deductions. Cooper doesn’t have the appetite to take the game to the opposition that we need. 

Negative 352 set ups won’t keeps us up, we might ‘keep it tight’ but that’s not what we need.

On the button.