Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Happy Fox

Managerial Replacements

4 hours ago, Gravel said:

Getting Cooper would be like thinking you can pull Rachel Riley on a night out only to end up going home with Lisa Riley instead.

Still, a shag's a shag.

Best analogy I've seen on here in a long time. Kudos on that!

• Haha 1

Last time I was this against and uninspired by an ex forest guy, he went on to completely prove me wrong and lift the premier league trophy :ph34r:

• Like 2

Just now, Leicesterpool said:

Is the Cooper dislike purely because he used to manage Forest. 

Will be for some.

But, coming from Burbage myself I couldn't care less about any rivalry with Forest. Barely anything there to me. I'm sure some others will be the same.

Taking Mark Robins from Cov would be great purely to boil piss as Cov fans worship him. Bring O'Hare with him to boil double piss

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Leicesterpool said:

Not for me, just don't really rate him.

But I accept he could be one of the options.

32 minutes ago, sm1 said:

What did you or the broader fanbase think when he was sacked? Harsh or deserved.

20pc ish thought it was, sadly, time for him to move on - due to the start of the season and in some cases fans who thought we should ‘make the next step’

The rest thought it was premature or harsh, partly because the owner seemed to destabilise everything by meeting other managers 

6 months later I think a small majority see Nuno as a slight upgrade, but not a dramatic improvement.  We’re more competitive in big games, and more attacking. 

Maybe every manager has a shelf life - Steve had possibly run out of steam, not because he’s a bad manager, just because that’s what happens now.  We’d have loved him to spend many successful years with us though.  

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, mod hero said:

How do you know this? Absolute nonsense again

Industrial levels being spouted in this thread

1 hour ago, 5waller5 said:

MON was an exciting appointment that almost everyone (I knew anyway) wanted, not really the same as an average uninspiring manager that may be good enough for some

MON was managing Norwich and we looked set to appoint Mike Walker as our next manager. 

We played (West Brom I think it was) on a Sunday afternoon, David Nish was in charge and it was the match when he brought Heskey on as a sub for his first appearance who went on the score the winner. 

Anyway, it was on Central TV and Mike Walker was the expert pundit in the studio and by all accounts spent the match slagging off our defence (I was at the match so heard this second hand) and most people were not happy at all that he was to be our next manager. 

O'Neill walked out of Norwich and took over at Leicester, so there was probably a lot of relief that we weren't getting Walker, as well as the excitement. 

A lot of people were very anti O'Neil for the same reason that people don't want Cooper now. 

If your reasons for disliking Cooper are

a) that he's ex-Forest and b) he struggled in the Prem then a) grow up and b) remember Maranakis bought him about 40 players and told him to get on with it (Martin Allen and Mandaric style)

It's 30 years back when Martin O'Neill was being hounded by idiots who thought he was deliberately sabotaging our promotion bid. I assume if Cooper brought Wes Morgan in as a coach that you wouldn't want him in either?

Can really do without another season where people spend 9 months grumbling because they wanted someone else.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

I don't think it's true that the Forest connection is the main reason for the majority of folk being opposed to Cooper. Rather that's the cherry on the cake of dismay that we have been reduced to making such an unambitious appointment that seems to go against any pretence to play attractive football, as previously set out in the board's vision for the club. I guess all of the other candidates are too expensive or simply aren't interested, so he's the only option. It's a harsh reality for us to face after the highs of the previous decade. 

Edited by Sunbury Fox
  • Like 2

53 minutes ago, winteriscoming said:

So many better options abroad available. 

How do you know they're "better"? That's just your guess. As many managers from abroad fail as turn out to be another Klopp or Wenger. Also not one of those better options would want to be starting on minus points. Same reason Potter wants nothing to do with us.

I just want to avoid going straight back down, which looks likely if we have points deductions and have to sell our best players. If that means getting Dean Smith again, or going for a Rafa or BSA then so be it. We don't have many options.

8 minutes ago, Groby_Blue said:

MON was managing Norwich and we looked set to appoint Mike Walker as our next manager. 

We played (West Brom I think it was) on a Sunday afternoon, David Nish was in charge and it was the match when he brought Heskey on as a sub for his first appearance who went on the score the winner. 

Anyway, it was on Central TV and Mike Walker was the expert pundit in the studio and by all accounts spent the match slagging off our defence (I was at the match so heard this second hand) and most people were not happy at all that he was to be our next manager. 

O'Neill walked out of Norwich and took over at Leicester, so there was probably a lot of relief that we weren't getting Walker, as well as the excitement. 

A lot of people were very anti O'Neil for the same reason that people don't want Cooper now. 

It was actually Norwich who we played that day with MON resigning as their manager that morning. 👍

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Groby_Blue said:

To add a bit more info. I think O'Neill quit Norwich just before the match with us. The match was actually against them. We won 3-2 and Emile was brilliant 

30 minutes ago, Leicesterpool said:

Why would a manager be good enough for us that wasn't good enough for NottsF ? Wouldn't touch him with a barge pole.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Groby_Blue said:

Heskey’s debut was at Q.P.R under Mark Magee!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, iancognito said:

How do you know they're "better"? That's just your guess. As many managers from abroad fail as turn out to be another Klopp or Wenger. Also not one of those better options would want to be starting on minus points. Same reason Potter wants nothing to do with us.

Yes but I would rather dream about what is possible with someone unknown and unproven than appoint someone who has already had a go in the PL and been sacked after winning 20% of his games. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Leicesterpool said:

Yes, that and the way he looks, apparently.

oh, and some people have some issues with the way he manages football teams!

5 hours ago, AjcW said:

I highly doubt Swansea fans are pissing themselves. Majority would probably chop off a bollock to go back to the levels they were with him, and the sort of player he brought to the club. They've been distinctly average since he left. 

Just what i’ve seen on twitter. You’re forgetting how fickle fans can be. 

31 minutes ago, iancognito said:

If your reasons for disliking Cooper are

a) that he's ex-Forest and b) he struggled in the Prem then a) grow up and b) remember Maranakis bought him about 40 players and told him to get on with it (Martin Allen and Mandaric style)

It's 30 years back when Martin O'Neill was being hounded by idiots who thought he was deliberately sabotaging our promotion bid. I assume if Cooper brought Wes Morgan in as a coach that you wouldn't want him in either?

Can really do without another season where people spend 9 months grumbling because they wanted someone else.

That’s fine as he won’t be in post for 9 months.

hes a championship manager.

no one should kid themselves that the only reason we will appoint him is because he’s cheap and no compo needs to be paid. 

1 hour ago, Mike Oxlong said:

Some perspective needs to be applied. We’re not the most attractive proposition are we ? We are on shit creek, fastly approaching shit rapids, the bottom of the kayak’s been holed by a boulder and the paddle’s just snapped in two. 

Basically more attractive than at least 72 league teams 

1 hour ago, Leicesterpool said:

I’m not sure anyone is fussed about that, purely the ability of the manager based on previous, recent premier league performance. 

1 hour ago, Tielemans63 said:

Mate at work is a Forest fan. Absolutely loves Cooper. His strengths are pulling a team together and creating a strong ethos. Maybe that's what we need right now. I was a bit underwhelmed when he was first mentioned, but I'm starting to warm to the idea a little bit more. The fact Forest fans hold him in such high regard and don't want him to come to us is hopefully a good sign.

Their fans are stupid. They only love him as he got them up and then failed to see any faults. He’s not a PL manager as sadly we will find out.