Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Happy Fox

Managerial Replacements

5 minutes ago, dr.o.ball said:

Have to agree that Potter is overhyped and will arrive with such high expectations that it could probably hinder his progress. Maybe a good Championship Manager would be more enthusiastic to prove himself.

Harry Potter | Harry potter puns, Harry potter, Tom felton draco malfoy

21 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

I struggle to align to this way of thinking. Potter kept Brighton up for 3 seasons and was part of a slowly well built setup but he's hugely flopped at Chelsea (not the only one).

His time at Swansea was mediocre, trumped by Cooper who replaced him and trumped by Corberan in the work he's done with an arm tied behind his back at both Huddersfield and West Brom.

I'd say Potter's got an inflated reputation, some of it warranted but I don't think the gap in risk is that obvious.

Whilst he obviously didn't do well at Chealsea I think it is harsh to say he flopped. He wasn't given much time at all with a owner who wanted to control everything whilst he was trying to implement a new style of football 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Happy Fox said:

I feel Potter’s impact will be like MON imo , a steady couple of top half finishes winning a league cup. That would be grand!

Top half finish with a points deduction? If we finish 17th, that would be a success

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Chrysalis said:

Corberan has no EPL experience and was a shambles in the playoffs.  Potter hands down the better choice out of the two.

Corberan even having a mediocre West Brom squad in the playoffs was an achievement. Potter was mediocre in the championship and got blown out of the water by Steve Cooper when he left. Yes Potter has EPL experience but his major success there was placing high on the xg tables, I wouldn't say that makes him hands down the better choice.

Based on achievements Cooper is arguably the standout manager but his football in the PL and how he looks seems to have put our fans off. The manager best suited to us is Corberan though, Potter has not be liked by any set of fans since he was in Sweden and we need a manager the fans can get behind.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, MPH said:

anything that is   8 or above would be massive and could effect our season substantially 

Even 8-9pts is probably just the difference between turning a couple of draws into wins and a couple of losses into draws. It doesn't make it impossible for us to survive. Everton would have survived easily with a much bigger deduction, they ended up 14pts clear of relegation despite the -8 deduction.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, StriderHiryu said:

That's a good video to share, thanks!

Potter has always been GREAT at the build-up. Brighton's renaisance is definitely built on the foundations he built. De Zerbi even said when he came in that it was much easier to get the team to play his way because they were all so comfortable on the ball and playing out of pressure. Potter was given the Chelsea job and offered the Ajax job for a reason!

His "failing" for me has so far been his inability to transfer that smooth build-up into being clinical up front. He had a high xG at all his clubs so on paper at some point he should end up at a club with clinical players and he could really impress. However, when I've studied his style in the past, I think his attacking patterns of play could do with a bit of tweaking. Even in this video you see quite a few goals scored from outside the box rather than the Enzo stlye where we'd see cut backs or chipped crosses into the six yard box where attackers can't miss. On paper though he should be a good match with some of our forwards and CAMs.

For where we are right now there is no doubt that Potter is an excellent coach. The bigger issue is that if he's got to be persuaded is if his heart will really be in it and if he'll just do an Enzo and leave after a bit of success.

If Rudkin was an actual DOF it would be less of a problem as if Potter did leave, we could being in someone that could continue the style. To be fair, both Potter and Corberan share traits with Enzo so it's not a massive change between managers. Cooper is the odd one out who does have a good resume, but is quite different to the current "comfortable in possesion and playing out from the back" style.

Our forwards? Old man Vardy and Daka?

I’d be very surprised and cautiously optimistic if we get Potter, will be difficult and expensive to get his coaching staff here.

Curious as to how much WBA would demand for Corberan and his staff.

The more this drags on the more likely it will end up being Cooper. 

58 minutes ago, StriderHiryu said:

That's a good video to share, thanks!

Potter has always been GREAT at the build-up. Brighton's renaisance is definitely built on the foundations he built. De Zerbi even said when he came in that it was much easier to get the team to play his way because they were all so comfortable on the ball and playing out of pressure. Potter was given the Chelsea job and offered the Ajax job for a reason!

His "failing" for me has so far been his inability to transfer that smooth build-up into being clinical up front. He had a high xG at all his clubs so on paper at some point he should end up at a club with clinical players and he could really impress. However, when I've studied his style in the past, I think his attacking patterns of play could do with a bit of tweaking. Even in this video you see quite a few goals scored from outside the box rather than the Enzo stlye where we'd see cut backs or chipped crosses into the six yard box where attackers can't miss. On paper though he should be a good match with some of our forwards and CAMs.

For where we are right now there is no doubt that Potter is an excellent coach. The bigger issue is that if he's got to be persuaded is if his heart will really be in it and if he'll just do an Enzo and leave after a bit of success.

If Rudkin was an actual DOF it would be less of a problem as if Potter did leave, we could being in someone that could continue the style. To be fair, both Potter and Corberan share traits with Enzo so it's not a massive change between managers. Cooper is the odd one out who does have a good resume, but is quite different to the current "comfortable in possesion and playing out from the back" style.

Personally think Brighton were much more enjoyable to watch under Potter, certainly his last season with them, than we were under Enzo at times.

That might be partly personnel, of course, but even in that video the play is quicker, less structured and more free flowing from the back.  I liked Enzo and thought he did brilliantly to turn a bunch of relegation losers into Championship winners.  I also liked some of our play under him. But at times it did feel like one cut back or backward pass too many.  As I say, very structured and at times perhaps hampering player ability to express  themselves.  

I take your point on the XG as well, but seriously some of the chances Brighton missed were horrendous.  I know Ric thinks that might partly be down to a manager having a lack of ability to get the best out of his forwards. That may be so, but really some of their collective misses were unforgivable.  If you had stuck a real finisher in that team I think it'd have been a frightening proposition.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

I suppose I need to quickly get used to it being Graham Potter. I don't think I've been more dismissive of a manager in recent years. Hahahaa

Potter is going to get the best out of Postman Patto, just you wait and see :ph34r:

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Muzzy_no7 said:

I’d be very surprised and cautiously optimistic if we get Potter, will be difficult and expensive to get his coaching staff here.

Curious as to how much WBA would demand for Corberan and his staff.

The more this drags on the more likely it will end up being Cooper. 

All his main staff are free agents except for one at Chelsea, wouldn’t be surprised if we see Andy King as part of the coaching set up.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

39 minutes ago, indierich06 said:

Even 8-9pts is probably just the difference between turning a couple of draws into wins and a couple of losses into draws. It doesn't make it impossible for us to survive. Everton would have survived easily with a much bigger deduction, they ended up 14pts clear of relegation despite the -8 deduction.

But I’d be surprised if Potter even wants to be involved in a relegation battle . He wants to be the other end of the table..

I appreciate that Potter seems to be best of the bunch - but at Brighton he only had a 31% win record. Are we sure he is the messiah???

Referring back to a previous post of mine, I cannot think that the eventual appointment is going to be someone who nobody was expecting. This has been the case for the last few managers. I cannot see this being any different.

2 minutes ago, Suffolk exile said:

I appreciate that Potter seems to be best of the bunch - but at Brighton he only had a 31% win record. Are we sure he is the messiah???

Referring back to a previous post of mine, I cannot think that the eventual appointment is going to be someone who nobody was expecting. This has been the case for the last few managers. I cannot see this being any different.

Maybe not the messiah but we would snap your arm off for a 31% win rate in the prem in the next years to come 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, jv1 said:

Maybe not the messiah but we would snap your arm off for a 31% win rate in the prem in the next years to come 

Fair point

I suppose, it does make you wonder why he has the status he has?

I mean, what has he actually achieved?  Maybe he doesn't view us quite so lowly as some are suggesting. 

Chelsea was a terrible fit. He was never going to succeed there. Many others haven't. Surely because of that experience, he is going to be very careful. One more bad move for him and he is going to find getting another job, incredibly difficult

1 hour ago, honeybradger said:

Corberan even having a mediocre West Brom squad in the playoffs was an achievement. Potter was mediocre in the championship and got blown out of the water by Steve Cooper when he left. Yes Potter has EPL experience but his major success there was placing high on the xg tables, I wouldn't say that makes him hands down the better choice.

Based on achievements Cooper is arguably the standout manager but his football in the PL and how he looks seems to have put our fans off. The manager best suited to us is Corberan though, Potter has not be liked by any set of fans since he was in Sweden and we need a manager the fans can get behind.

Playing devil's advocate, I suppose it could be said that Cooper benefited from the squad and style of football that Potter had put together at Swansea, in much the way that De Zerbi said it had helped him on the way he wanted to play when he took over at Brighton.

Just  a different point of view, from a different angle.

Who ever we end up with, there are no guarantees, there never are with new managers and signings.

Personally I would be OK with Corbaran or Potter.

Rather avoid Cooper though.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

11 minutes ago, Suffolk exile said:

Fair point

I suppose, it does make you wonder why he has the status he has?

I mean, what has he actually achieved?  Maybe he doesn't view us quite so lowly as some are suggesting. 

Chelsea was a terrible fit. He was never going to succeed there. Many others haven't. Surely because of that experience, he is going to be very careful. One more bad move for him and he is going to find getting another job, incredibly difficult

I don’t think he is any miracle worker and agree it was a terrible decision to go to Chelsea however we are a mess - going to start on -9 points and have very little financial ability to improve a squad that was just about good enough in the end to get out of the championship- it isn’t a very appealing job no matter how much we all love our club - he was very solid at Brighton - didn’t score loads but didn’t concede either and only lost 1/3 of the games he took charge of in a very competitive premier league - he definitely laid the foundations for how solid Brighton have been last few years - he did a good job - is he elite and the best of the best definitely not but he is pretty good and definitely the best in the frame - he has bags of premier league experience which cannot be compared to doing ok with West Brom or doing ok in a random foreign league - he fits the bill playing style ish as well which someone like moyes who has better track record probably doesn’t - at this point I’ll be disappointed if we don’t get him - I think they would buy into his way of playing and also he would have a very keen eye on some talented players from random countries - if they can convince him to take it I think he is our best bet 

Edited by jv1

11 minutes ago, jv1 said:

going to start on -9 points

Is this a fact, an assumption, guess or inside information. I'm aware we are likely to have a points deduction, but I'll be surprised if it's 9 points.

• Like 1

Just now, MGLCFC said:

Is this a fact, an assumption, guess or inside information. I'm aware we are likely to have a points deduction, but I'll be surprised if it's 9 points.

Assumption, guess - something like that - could be 6 or 12 I suppose - went for the middle as the exact numbers of points wasn’t the topic