Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Happy Fox

Managerial Replacements

4 minutes ago, Bluearmyfox28 said:

I actually disagree with this part Strider. I’ve been doing some research this morning on Potter as it seems inevitable that if Potter wants the job then it is his.

Whilst in terms of style of play, out of all the candidates Potter is the clear choice from our shortlist with regards to continuing the brand built by Enzo as there are a lot of similarities but Potter puts more emphasis on defensive stability which some may argue is better for the step up in divisions. 

However, the way Potter sets up from a formation and player personnel perspective has a huge emphasis on areas of play that I think we are at our weakest and would play away from our current squads strengths.

Potter sets out in simple terms in a 5-3-2 allowing them to be more defensively sound off the ball and allowing them to create a low block when the initial press does not work compared to Enzo’s 4-1-4-1. Whilst on the ball the wing backs push up, creating a 3-4-2-1 or a 3-2-5. Straight away the use of wing backs and not wingers concerns me massively for obvious reasons within our squad, However, most would argue it is a better structure for the step up to the Premier League.

He also likes to play with 2 players behind the striker, focusing on the half spaces between a traditional No.10 and a winger. From what I have seen he prefers to use inverted wingers in these roles, which again concerns me as I personally don’t believe this is an area that Mavididi or Fatawu could play as they aren’t players who work in tight spaces and instead prefer to have space to run into.

Finally, he likes to play with two holding midfielders. One who’s duty is to drop short and recieve the ball (perfect for Winks) and the other being a more progressive passer into the attacking players, something I don’t believe we have in our squad, with this position majorly lacking in depth.

Overall, if Potter is appointed I struggle to see the likes of Mavididi and Fatawu fitting in his style of play unless they are converted into attacking wingbacks. But I also acknowledge for the likes of Winks, Hermansen and Vestegaard, Potter’s style of play accommodates them.

Potter’s style is a less risky and more defensively sounded style of play compared to Enzo’s which I am all for, I just don’t believe we have the personnel to accommodate this without investment in key areas. But whether it be Corberan or Potter, both will require investment in the fullback, defensive midfield and attacking midfield positions. Corberan’s use of wingers is the reason he’s my first choice as I feel this is our strongest asset to our club.

For anyone interested here’s a good video that probably best breaks down Potter’s style:

Really good post - and good insight- bottom line they need to get the right man in and get the players in to go with the style needed - some of current squad will be ok and some won’t be no matter which way we go 

Edited by jv1
  • Thanks 1

I don't know shit about his tactics, or tactics in general - but I like a man who can pull off a turtle-neck. 

Edited by RoboFox

1 hour ago, Ric Flair said:

I suppose I need to quickly get used to it being Graham Potter. I don't think I've been more dismissive of a manager in recent years. Hahahaa

Still not convinced at all he takes it. 

1 hour ago, Roosters boots said:

It’s happening 

E3F5953E-9FC0-4B03-8C63-7EFEB240BCCD.png

Terzic was Assistant to Slaven Bilic at West Ham (and did his Coaching course with the FA), so has English Prem experience. And of course a great record at Dortmund. Problem is, that could well mean he would be 'beyond' us!

Edited by bald reynard
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, MPH said:

Peter Taylor as his assistant?!?

And Junior Lewis as set piece coach.  Dufkin may have created the new Pep- Squad…..

5 minutes ago, bald reynard said:

Terzic was Assistant to Slaven Bilic at West Ham (and did his Coaching course with the FA), so has English Prem experience. And of course a great record at Dortmund. Problem is, that could well mean he would be 'beyond' us!

Are west Ham still looking for a manager?

1 hour ago, Suffolk exile said:

I appreciate that Potter seems to be best of the bunch - but at Brighton he only had a 31% win record. Are we sure he is the messiah???

Referring back to a previous post of mine, I cannot think that the eventual appointment is going to be someone who nobody was expecting. This has been the case for the last few managers. I cannot see this being any different.

31% is a fairly decent win rate tbh - especially as this was before Brighton were really thought of as a 'good' premier league club - if you look back at their squad back in 19/20, there were some good players, and players with potential, but they were hardly world beaters back then.

His first couple of seasons were basically identical, but he improved in his third season, and his fourth was obviously cut short after he moved to Chelsea, but they were looking even better then. 

I'd be fairly pleased if we got him - I think anyone is going to have a bit of a job on this season, but if you can look beyond that then there's potential to do well with this club.

3 hours ago, ClaphamFox said:

The second of those was indeed the street I grew up in, so it's yours mate. 

I grew up on Greengate Lane, is that close enough for you, and can I have the job please, I dont mind moving back from Scotland.

I am just filling the car with fuel and can be on my way shortly

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Bluearmyfox28 said:

I actually disagree with this part Strider. I’ve been doing some research this morning on Potter as it seems inevitable that if Potter wants the job then it is his.

Whilst in terms of style of play, out of all the candidates Potter is the clear choice from our shortlist with regards to continuing the brand built by Enzo as there are a lot of similarities but Potter puts more emphasis on defensive stability which some may argue is better for the step up in divisions. 

However, the way Potter sets up from a formation and player personnel perspective has a huge emphasis on areas of play that I think we are at our weakest and would play away from our current squads strengths.

Potter sets out in simple terms in a 5-3-2 allowing them to be more defensively sound off the ball and allowing them to create a low block when the initial press does not work compared to Enzo’s 4-1-4-1. Whilst on the ball the wing backs push up, creating a 3-4-2-1 or a 3-2-5. Straight away the use of wing backs and not wingers concerns me massively for obvious reasons within our squad, However, most would argue it is a better structure for the step up to the Premier League.

He also likes to play with 2 players behind the striker, focusing on the half spaces between a traditional No.10 and a winger. From what I have seen he prefers to use inverted wingers in these roles, which again concerns me as I personally don’t believe this is an area that Mavididi or Fatawu could play as they aren’t players who work in tight spaces and instead prefer to have space to run into.

Finally, he likes to play with two holding midfielders. One who’s duty is to drop short and recieve the ball (perfect for Winks) and the other being a more progressive passer into the attacking players, something I don’t believe we have in our squad, with this position majorly lacking in depth.

Overall, if Potter is appointed I struggle to see the likes of Mavididi and Fatawu fitting in his style of play unless they are converted into attacking wingbacks. But I also acknowledge for the likes of Winks, Hermansen and Vestegaard, Potter’s style of play accommodates them.

Potter’s style is a less risky and more defensively sounded style of play compared to Enzo’s which I am all for, I just don’t believe we have the personnel to accommodate this without investment in key areas. But whether it be Corberan or Potter, both will require investment in the fullback, defensive midfield and attacking midfield positions. Corberan’s use of wingers is the reason he’s my first choice as I feel this is our strongest asset to our club.

For anyone interested here’s a good video that probably best breaks down Potter’s style:

The problem with certain videos like this, along with certain articles on his tactics, they always seem to focus on one set formation, 3-4-2-1 being the main focus here. 

Even though 3-4-2-1 or 3-5-2 seemed to be his more favourable formation at Brighton, Potter showed many times at Brighton that he’s flexible with his formation. At times he adopted a 4-4-2, 4-2-3-1 and 3-4-3. 

If he does come, then I think our squad is more suited to the style that he played at Swansea. Throughout that season he predominantly played a 4-2-3-1, with more natural wide players offering width in Dan James, Wayne Routledge and Nathan Dyer. He also tended to invert Kyle Naughton into a central position, enabling Swansea to create overloads and build through the middle, something of which he could easily do with Ricardo Pereira. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, WestLothianFox said:

I grew up on Greengate Lane, is that close enough for you, and can I have the job please, I dont mind moving back from Scotland.

I am just filling the car with fuel and can be on my way shortly

Sure - you're in, but you'll have to negotiate with @Bluetintedspecs about your respective roles. 

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Saxondale said:

Unfortunately, the ‘papers are reporting that the pair had a “violent bust-up”!

The only thing better than showing a bit of fight, is showing a load of fight  :thumbup:

• Haha 1