Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Happy Fox

Managerial Replacements

Just now, Wymsey said:

Agreed.

It's actually quite cringeworthy that he's being partially dismissed because of his looks. The guy can't help it and am sure he doesn't give two hoots about it either.

I dont give two hoots what he looks like either, but if fans were not happy with the football under Maresca, they aint going to enjoy it under Cooper!

Yes he kept Notts Forest up, (JUST) in their first season in the Premier league, but his football absolutely stunk the league out doing it, it was abysmal to watch!

Im not sure i had ever seen a Goalkeeper with cramp until Cooper went to Notts Forest, then it seemed to be a regular thing there.

My god, his Keepers must spend the whole game running round their penalty box when they dont have the ball!

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

His problem is he isn't a really good player. 

Really good is relative he would have been a brilliant player for us this season I'd he could stay fir and would be a good squad player next season. He showed that in glimpses but he unfortunately seems to be unable to complete a game without getting injured or play more than 2 games in succession which dosent allow you to build form or adjust to a new system.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Izzy said:

If Cooper was stunningly good looking, people would have less of an issue with him coming here.

Nobody wants to be associated with ugly. 

This is actually pretty well studied it’s called the horn effect.

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Foxin_Mad said:

Steve Cooper shouldn't be an option. Grim football.

I tell you the thing about Cooper, I went to see Forest pre Cooper and post Cooper when they were in the championship, and the players he managed to get in completely transformed them, maybe he's better than given credit for as promotion went to the fat Greeks head and he took full control of transfers.

Maybe someone who knows how to work on a shoestring is exactly what we need

Edited by splinterdream
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Steve Cooper is far better than some are making out. It's his hard yards he's put in at England youth level and then did well at Swansea before going on that mega run at Forest to get them up from the relegation zone.

There's other options I'd much rather we were looking at but he'd not be horrendous. He has a track record at improving young players and that's got to be priority number one for us with every appointment.

Any idea what his philosophy is as a manager, other than bringing through youth?  I don't really have clue what his preferred playing style is etc? 

4 hours ago, Foxin_Mad said:

Steve Cooper shouldn't be an option. Grim football.

I’m not advocating for Cooper but something like 99% of your posts must be anti-Cooper related. 

What did he do to you lol

13 minutes ago, whetstonefox said:

Graham Potter needs to get back into the game soon otherwise he’ll end up as the next Alan Curbishley. Though I imagine he’s waiting on England on the assumption Southgate goes

reports he might wait for the england job

18 minutes ago, whetstonefox said:

Graham Potter needs to get back into the game soon otherwise he’ll end up as the next Alan Curbishley. Though I imagine he’s waiting on England on the assumption Southgate goes

Potter, another Myth/Fraud.

• Haha 1

38 minutes ago, whetstonefox said:

Curbishley never got a £13m payoff. 

39 minutes ago, Bordersfox said:

Any idea what his philosophy is as a manager, other than bringing through youth?  I don't really have clue what his preferred playing style is etc? 

He's quite flexible in his style of play. He was very much a 4-3-3 / 4-2-3-1 manager looking to exploit the space with width and attacking full backs. 

At Forest he really seemed to chop and change to deal with the chaos that he was in charge of. He's used 3 at the back and wingbacks in the past and that was the system he used when he got them promoted but then switched to a back 4 in the Prem. Seems he used 3 at the back on occasions too, usually when up against the better sides.

If it was a choice between Potter or Cooper I'd probably side with the latter but I want neither if I'm honest.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Izzy said:

If Cooper was stunningly good looking, people would have less of an issue with him coming here.

The Americans call it pretty privilege. Good looking guys getting paid more in sport

3 hours ago, Izzy said:

Actually really don't care about his looks, I just think we can probably do better.

I was calling for Cooper when I went deranged in April when I thought Enzo had ****ed it lol

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

He's quite flexible in his style of play. He was very much a 4-3-3 / 4-2-3-1 manager looking to exploit the space with width and attacking full backs. 

At Forest he really seemed to chop and change to deal with the chaos that he was in charge of. He's used 3 at the back and wingbacks in the past and that was the system he used when he got them promoted but then switched to a back 4 in the Prem. Seems he used 3 at the back on occasions too, usually when up against the better sides.

If it was a choice between Potter or Cooper I'd probably side with the latter but I want neither if I'm honest.

Excellent summary, cheers.  I like the sound of some flexibility.  

I thought in the last couple of seasons of Potter's tenure Brighton played some really good football, possesion based but much more incisive and quick than we have played under Maresca at times.  Maybe they just had better players.   

I'm going purely on the games I watched, highlights etc but I felt if they'd had someone capable of finishing clinically they'd have achieved more.

That said, I think I prefer Corberan over all. 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, whetstonefox said:

Howe went a couple of years without a job when leaving Bournemouth

Cooper is good on the media side too. Very honest and says it how it is. We haven’t had a manager like that since Nigel. Personally think he’s a good fit … better options probably yes but might be good for where we are now. 

1 hour ago, Ric Flair said:

Steve Cooper is far better than some are making out. It's his hard yards he's put in at England youth level and then did well at Swansea before going on that mega run at Forest to get them up from the relegation zone.

There's other options I'd much rather we were looking at but he'd not be horrendous. He has a track record at improving young players and that's got to be priority number one for us with every appointment.

This is also a guy who made James Garner look good, work like that deserves a knighthood tbf. 

• Haha 3