Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Happy Fox

Managerial Replacements

Posted (edited)
On 22/05/2024 at 18:53, Muzzy_no7 said:

I wouldn’t judge Cooper by that mad season at Forest.

His Swansea and Forest sides in the championship played some lovely, fast counter attacking football.

He did the same with the England youth set-ups.

The madness at Forest was not what he wanted. 

Hes shit. I hope he never ends up hear.

Peter Taylor looked good with the England under 21s and Paulo Sousa did well at Swansea.

I've never seen anything to suggest he was a particularly decent Premier League manager. 

Edited by Foxin_Mad

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, Chelmofox said:

Anyone saying Moyes needs to add their credentials to their post. If the answer is 'watched Match of the Day twice this season' then they should be banned.

Same for anyone saying Forest reject Steve ****ing Cooper!!

Edited by Foxin_Mad

5 hours ago, StriderHiryu said:

If not already mentioned, then Carlos Cuesta, the Arsenal no.2:

7fa08fda-997e-11ed-98a9-b930c4c0805a.jpg

"Cuesta, who began coaching at Atlético Madrid in 2014 as an 18-year-old, is believed to be open to working with Knapper again after building a strong relationship with him at Arsenal. Several other Championship sides are also thought to have shown an interest in Cuesta taking over in the summer, although Arsenal are believed to be determined to resist any approaches.

Cuesta is one of Arteta’s closest confidantes and has been credited with helping to transform Arsenal into title contenders through his role as individual development coach, with a heavy focus on improving tactical understanding."

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2024/feb/15/arsenal-no-2-carlos-cuesta-norwich-manager-championship

Arsenal play a very similar style to us, only better. Playing out from the back, attacking number 8's, tricky wingers. Look what he did to Saka, and he is known for working 1-1 with him.

This would mean that the squad overhaul would be minimal, and he'd probably stick with us if we got relegated. He would have time to build a young and exciting squad in the same way that Enzo started out doing.

Would be a perfect replacement! Another name to throw in is Jagoba Arrasate. Completely different style of play but did wonders at Osasuna and has recently stepped down.

https://totalfootballanalysis.com/article/jagoba-arrasate-a-deeper-look-at-his-osasuna-project-tactical-analysis-tactics

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, ALC Fox said:

Appointing a manager nine years younger than our first-choice #9 would be remarkable but I like the idea.

The game has changed. I am reminded of the legendary AC Milan coach Arigo Saachi who said the following!

quote-i-never-realised-that-to-become-a-

If Enzo stays, the fact is we are favourites for relegation given the points deductions and transfer difficulties. With him gone, it's hard to see that we stay up. In that case, going for someone really bold and innovative who can stamp their style and ethos on the club would be a great thing to do. Given his age, he would be interested in a multi-year project and realistically the plan might be to accept relegation but make sure we come up again straight away.

There are other candidates who would also be good fits, but this is guy is super exciting, and I think Enzo showed that an exciting manager is better in the modern game than "a safe pair of hands." Look at the Championship; Cifuentes and Rohl were inspired appointments. I hope we are bold with an appointment, even though it could well be Potter that comes in.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, Bluearmyfox28 said:

Would be a perfect replacement! Another name to throw in is Jagoba Arrasate. Completely different style of play but did wonders at Osasuna and has recently stepped down.

https://totalfootballanalysis.com/article/jagoba-arrasate-a-deeper-look-at-his-osasuna-project-tactical-analysis-tactics

Another bold choice would be Wilfred Nancy of Columbus Crew:

Nancy plays a style very similar to Maresca: the 3241 system in possesion, and trusts in his team to play out from the back and under pressure:

RvYTBYW.png

Notice that they are one of the few teams in WORLD football that are above us in terms of playing our under pressure.

How he would fair I would have no idea, but my theme is to pick someone that would ensure some level of continuity. We don't need to rip up the playbook, we need someone to take the good parts and make it work even better and against better opposition. Yes the MLS is totally different, but his system is working and it's the 3241 system. He's transformed that team and again would probably sign up for a 3-5 year time period.

The Osasuna guy could be good, and there are many other exciting coaches in football now too. But I just think that if we go for someone totally different, we will end up in a position where players are signed that don't fit the system, and we just can't afford to do that right now.

Edited by StriderHiryu
  • Like 2

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, Chelmofox said:

Anyone saying Moyes needs to add their credentials to their post. If the answer is 'watched Match of the Day twice this season' then they should be banned.

Took over a struggling West Ham side and got them qualified for Europe 3 times, a Europa league semi final and Europa conference win. How anyone can turn their nose up at that is hilarious. I think people still think we’re a top 6 club and should be getting a top manager in. We need someone whos going to keep us up first and foremost and then build from there

Edited by South Shire Fox
  • Thanks 3

6 minutes ago, South Shire Fox said:

Took over a struggling West Ham side and got them qualified for Europe 3 times, a Europa league semi final and Europa conference win. How anyone can turn their nose up at that is hilarious. I think people still think we’re a top 6 club and should be getting a top manager in. We need someone whos going to keep us up first and foremost 

Are we in Europe then? He took a team with more talent than ours and nearly got them relegated. Same team stunk the league second half this season. 8th in the net spend table. It’s league form we should be looking at and he has underachieved. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Finnegan said:

The people who want Moyes, I absolutely guarantee, have only seen West Ham's games vs. Brendan Rodgers in recent memory and basically nothing else of West Ham.

I don’t think it is. Moyes is perhaps “old school” on style but at Everton and then West Ham, he’s achieved Top 6 finishes and cup finals (winning one). Putting aside his poor performance at Man U and his time at Sunderland, he is a manager which seems to get stability. 

Both Everton and West Ham were struggling PL clubs more likely to exit the league than challenge for Europe, where he had both. 

Everyone wants the club to play attractive sexy football with a Ruud Gullit regen sat in the middle but instead of focusing on the style, there are many who probably expect a tougher, far more restricted season next year and “getting results” over style might be the priority. It’s not a ridiculous take with everything happening outside, far from it.

I would love Amorim. However, realistically he is in a different world to us. Might not be the choice of some because of the style but surely all can see why he is an attractive (used intentionally) choice for many fans. 

5 hours ago, Incognito said:

I would love Laurent Blanc to be honest, albeit would be a slight risk (as is any appointment) in that he's not managed over here before.

His body of work with Bordeaux was remarkable, and he did well with PSG (I know that's not saying much but still have to manage all those egos). I like his style of football/

van Bronckhorst did well at first with Rangers, but after the Europa League final, it was a disaster. I do like the work he did with Feyenoord though, especially as financially they can't quite compete with Ajax and PSV.

Lucien Favre is a good shout to be honest. Been linked with us before too.

Steve Cooper is probably one of the more realistic ones, and we know he can manage in the Premier League. He will get supported here too rather than be worrying about being sacked by a megalomaniac of a chairman!

Yeah I'd love Blanc, but as you say it's a risk, he has not managed here but also will his reputation be damaged by coming to a Leicester City who are likely going to get deductions and don't have a big budget. Is it worth the risk for him? I'd imagine he could probably join a top 8 club in Italy/Spain/France/Germany. 
Would be a hell of a coup if we could convince him though, the premier league is still a huge draw. 

Would like Corberan. Has done brilliantly within a budget at both Huddersfield and West Brom. 
Alternatively Urs Fischer or Ruud Van Nistelrooy. At least look abroad. Look at the impact it’s had on Palace, Brighton and Bournemouth. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Chelmofox said:

Are we in Europe then? He took a team with more talent than ours and nearly got them relegated. Same team stunk the league second half this season. 8th in the net spend table. It’s league form we should be looking at and he has underachieved. 

Last time i checked doing well in the league was how you qualified for Europe. Kept them up in 19/20, 6th in 20/21, 7th in 21/22, Europa conference winners in 22/23 then 9th this season. Awful manager..