Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Happy Fox

Managerial Replacements

7 hours ago, HybridFox said:

Choosing between Steve Bruce and Steve Cooper is like choosing whether to drink p*** or eat sh*** 

You just reminded me of my dream last night. I was at a urinal and somehow actually got piss in my mouth.

Anyway, as you were. 

• Haha 3

11 minutes ago, RumbleFox said:

You just reminded me of my dream last night. I was at a urinal and somehow actually got piss in my mouth.

Anyway, as you were. 

I genuinely don't know what to say to that. lol

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, foxfanazer said:

The Steve Cooper criticism is a bit OTT. He wouldn't be my first choice but of the realistic options he's up there

Realistic is the problem he’s not good enough for us imo. Wouldn’t keep us up at all.

We need a manager that has considerable experience at this level : we should go for Moyes if we are serious about staying up and progressing.

53 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

He's extremely pragmatic depending on the resources he has available and the opposition he faces.

West Brom's possession stats varied significantly and on average was just over 51%.

So you are very much mistaken.

His principles are possession football but not for the sake of it. In the PL we'd be more often than not the underdog and likely to be counter attacking.

Gerrrrimmminnnnnnnnn.

5 minutes ago, Happy Fox said:

Realistic is the problem he’s not good enough for us imo. Wouldn’t keep us up at all.

We need a manager that has considerable experience at this level : we should go for Moyes if we are serious about staying up and progressing.

I don't mean to sound doom and gloom but I don't reckon anybody's keeping us up. The points deduction and the financial restrictions are gonna be an almighty obstacle imo. I think Corberan makes the most sense

7 hours ago, gurru991 said:

Corberan worships at the Pep altar just like Maresca. We cannot play Pepball in the Premier without quality players & we don't have the quality or the money to buy them. This upcoming season is about surviving after a points deduction ... Tippy Tappy will get us relegated !!!

With Huddersfield in the Championship he kept them up and then got them within a dodgy VAR decision of the Premier League by playing predominately pragmatic, counter attacking football.

It’s true that his idealistic style is Guardiola inspired, but unlike Maresca he is willing to be flexible and adaptable depending on the situation.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, alanf0x said:

So in summary, cooper has taken his house of the market, Potter been at the training ground this week and Steve Bruce wants it. 

What a time to be alive!!! Cheers Rudkin 

Living the dream 

Posted (edited)
45 minutes ago, Babylon said:

And why do you think Cooper is like that? He left Swansea because of the direction they were going, how they failed to get him what he thought he needed. 

I really don't get the strength of the Cooper criticism. Once again, it seems like if he had a fancy name people would fall over themselves to hire him. 

The reason I feel like that, is that I felt given the perceived interference he experienced at Forest, then you would expect he would have walked and yet he stayed for a long time accepting a situation that clearly was not sustainable for him as manager of the football club, to an outsider, his position had been completely undermined and untenable, he was a dead man walking for a long time before finally being put out of his misery. 

I may be wrong in this assessment but he is also giving me Chris Wilder vibes, a good manager who delivered premier league football, had a decent season but then their managerial limitations were exposed. Personally it’s not a direction I want to see us go down, doesn’t mean I am right, but I have serious reservations as to whether Cooper has peaked, my preference would be to take a punt on an up coming progressive manager with a higher ceiling but maybe a bit more risk, rather than Cooper and managers of that ilk. 

Edited by Claudio Fannieri
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, indierich06 said:

Yeah let's set up old school and try not to get beat like Sheff U and Luton... Oh, wait. 

Fact of the matter is, you can set up however what you like, as long as the team buys into it and you have enough quality, that's what keeps you up. Style of football doesn't come into it - you can play tippy tappy football like Burnley and go down, or you can play more direct football like Sheff and go down. 

Corberan and Cooper are more or less one and the same, they've both taken on clubs that were struggling and improved them, they both like to employ a more patient, passing, possession based game, but they're both pragmatic in terms of adapting their style to the players they have, they sides they're facing and the situation they're in. It's no wonder we're looking at them. 

People assuming Corberan is a 'tiki taka' merchant because he's got a foreign sounding name is about as stupid as people thinking Cooper is some old fashioned route one manager because he's British. Every argument in this thread seems to be based on ridiculous assumptions. 

A perfect summary. 

8 hours ago, HybridFox said:

Choosing between Steve Bruce and Steve Cooper is like choosing whether to drink p*** or eat sh*** 

Terrible analogy. Who wouldn’t choose the piss?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Max Power said:

One element of Cooper’s career I like is his youth coaching. Maybe someone to unlock the academy a bit more? 

Rudkin hasn't lost the keys again has he?

• Haha 2

7 minutes ago, indierich06 said:

Yeah let's set up old school and try not to get beat like Sheff U and Luton... Oh, wait. 

Fact of the matter is, you can set up however what you like, as long as the team buys into it and you have enough quality, that's what keeps you up. Style of football doesn't come into it - you can play tippy tappy football like Burnley and go down, or you can play more direct football like Sheff and go down. 

Corberan and Cooper are more or less one and the same, they've both taken on clubs that were struggling and improved them, they both like to employ a more patient, passing, possession based game, but they're both pragmatic in terms of adapting their style to the players they have, they sides they're facing and the situation they're in. It's no wonder we're looking at them. 

People assuming Corberan is a 'tiki taka' merchant because he's got a foreign sounding name is about as stupid as people thinking Cooper is some old fashioned route one manager because he's British. Every argument in this thread seems to be based on ridiculous assumptions. 

This is absolutely bang on.

Whoever is appointed, the old “FORWARD! QUICKER!” codgers are going be disappointed, because they don’t seem to understand that the game of football has moved on since the mid 80s.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, RumbleFox said:

Anyway, as you were. 

Happened to a friend of mine. Turns out it wasn’t a dream and her husband was sleep pissing on her pillow. True story.

• Haha 1

Given how left field Claudios appointment was are we missing something? There are quite a few names already mentioned who are out there in terms of highly unlikely but there are one or two available at the minute that may jump at a club in the Premier League like Leicester and have a track record in other leagues in Europe, in a similar way to Glasner at Palace, 

Lucien Favre

Jorge Sampaoli

Quiqe Setien 

Conceicao was a name we had been linked with years back and I wanted him then as a young up and coming coach. Given things you read though we may have dodged a bullet. 

On the English coaches available leaves a lot to be desired - Lampard, Scott Parker and Will Still notable names, the latter I’d be on the fence about, 9th place with Reims in Ligue 1 last year. If we were to go for a young English coach, Gary O’Neil has done a great job with Wolves and didn’t do bad at Bournemouth either. 

IMO I don’t know why we don’t offer it Poch for a year, bloke was tossed aside by Chelsea despite showing his qualities to turn things around, if we’re serious, why not?