Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Happy Fox

Managerial Replacements

47 minutes ago, Babylon said:

So why was it as dull as dishwater to watch most of the time then?

Maybe you preferred it when we were losing and we chasing games?

The most likely reason is possession football breaking down low block. I felt the more open games were more exciting.

1 hour ago, Saxondale said:

I still think the board will want somebody with solid Premier League experience. I think they will surprise us with somebody who was a fairly big name a few years ago - like they did with Ranieri.

If you're doing that, the names that would stick out to me are in the Benitez, De Boer mould. 

2 hours ago, indierich06 said:

What do we do with the players we invested in last summer in order to try and play this way? I don't think we have the 'right' players to perfectly implement any one style to be honest. Do you think we've got the pace, the finishers and the workrate in the squad to play even half as well as we did in 15/16? 

People assume that possession/technical-based footballer is 'harder', and that other ways of playing are 'easier' - it's nonsense. You employ the style that suits that players you have, or something approximating that, and we've spent quite a lot investing in players who play a certain way and are used to a certain style. The board aren't going to throw the baby out with the bathwater, chasing some type of football that we don't have the players for and goes against what we're actually trying to build - well, they might do, they've made plenty of stupid decisions before.

Take a look at what we did to Southampton (twice) when we broke quickly and with purpose.  This team with the pace it has can be devastating with quicker attacks and at no point were we playing long ball.  This is exactly the kind of style we should be playing next season.  Most teams will come onto us a lot more than last season.  We will have much less chances so have to exploit them as best we can when they come.

• Like 4

42 minutes ago, Babylon said:

That is utter nonsense, I've never demanded success and neither have I asked for perfect football. I just don't want to be bored to death, I want to go and enjoy a game of football. I'm managed to enjoy plenty of football since I've been going down in the 80's, much of it wasn't perfect and it wasn't always successful. 

Well if you’re not worried about success then that’s fair. But a manager who brings exciting football but no success won’t last long.

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, Pliskin said:

If we selected Cooper ahead of CC, either he doesn’t want it, or Cooper lied in his interview. 

Or Rudkin was smoking a spliff??

12 minutes ago, bmt said:

The more I think about it the more keen I am on Corberan. Get it done.

He's my choice and Top has emailed me to say he's keen as MON has said no again. Continuity to some degree but, it seems, without Maresca's dogmatism.  

Used to working within limited budgets and ready to step up and prove himself.

In our current situation there are no perfect choices but he certainly seems an obvious choice. 

• Like 2

Just now, lfu said:

"Tippy tappy" is such an asinine buzzphrase at this point

Often accompanied by an opinion that would have been dated 20 years ago

Why?  A complete bollocks statement without any evidence to back it up.

Stop trying to be intellectual.  Its a ****ing football forum. 

:nigel:

• Haha 2

Corberan makes the most sense in terms of continuity by building on the style (love it or hate it) implemented by Enzo. Cooper would be the choice if survival next term is our sole aim. Given the appointment of Enzo when we were in desperate straights after being relegated is anything to go by (promotion or bust didn't appear to be the deciding factor then but rather building something new for the longer term) then Corberan would seem to be the more likely option. 

i’ve said it before and still 1000% believe •it will not be cooper.

It just doesn’t fit what we are looking for at all. Top wants a specific brand of football. Top wants to break in to europe. Call it delusional or whatever you want but he doesn’t really go for a stop gap manager. we’ve only done it once since he’s been here with smith and that situation was obviously unique. 

Whoever we go for will be someone he thinks will be a good long term appointment and for me this rules out cooper. 

lts very well known that Top wanted to move away from the previous brand of football we played. He’s not going to take us as far away from it as we’ve ever been, then move back towards it. 

So relax if you’re worried about that because it simply won’t happen. 

We might be penny pinching but we also didn’t want the 10m for maresca. The aim was still to be competitive. We wouldn’t flinch to pay half of it for a decent coach we wanted 

• Like 4

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, S1DDO said:

I’m pretty sure we played this way in 15/16 season, worked pretty well 

Correct my friend, I'm with you on that one ...and I miss it.

During the 15/16, we certainly played polar opposite to EnzoBall.

And the cameo 1/2 appearances of upping the tempo and stopped pi$$ing around with it "looking for solutions," we were a much better team for it.

It's been said before, unless you have a team full of Foden's and De Bruyne's and the the cheque book to buy them, styles like EnzoBall are hard to pull off and be affective regularly and certainly in our own case.

If we had starting next season under Enzo playing 'his way, IMO we would have received many a battering.

Edited by Guppys Love Child