Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Happy Fox

Managerial Replacements

22 minutes ago, Basildon Fox said:

Why?  A complete bollocks statement without any evidence to back it up.

Stop trying to be intellectual.  Its a ****ing football forum. 

:nigel:

Thank you for providing evidence to back it up.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

24 minutes ago, lfu said:

"Tippy tappy" is such an asinine buzzphrase at this point

Often accompanied by an opinion that would have been dated 20 years ago

I think it's the phrase Kasper used when he talked, in his post title-winning interview eight years ago, about what set us apart from our rivals.

There are also plenty of sides out there who aren't particularly tippy-tappy. The fact that we can all understand these distinctions, and that they were relevant eight years ago and still are today, means that it's as valid as any other term you care to use for elaborate and control-based styles of football.

7 minutes ago, indierich06 said:

Again, Cooper and Corberan are actually quite similar in terms of their football and their philosophy.

And one is quite literally Forest’s sloppy seconds 

3 hours ago, FoxOnWheels said:

Everyone saying we’re going to have nothing to spend but if entering into a new financial year why will we have nothing to spend? I think we will spend more than we think

We will be over the maximum 3 Yr spend. Having money won't get us out of that one. The minute we spend we will be in breach again. Unless we sell some first.

3 hours ago, Babylon said:

I've already told you why: endless recycling of the ball, lack of movement and boring the opposition and most of your fans to death. Winning plenty of times by virtue of just having the most expensively assembled team in the championship ever, and many games relying on the opposition's shitness in front of the goal. I found huge chunks of it boring, many people found it boring... that does not equate to wanting to just hoof the ball forward. 

Absolutely spot on.

3 hours ago, Saxondale said:

No, you want some magical unicorn football that is both endlessly exhilarating and ever successful. You want passes to be both immediate and accurate. You want us to move the ball forward at all times but never concede possession.

If you find us winning the league at a canter and scoring 89 goals boring, then - I hate to break it to you - you’re in for a long season.

I'd take our 2016 style over bodgers and Enzo ball every day of the week and twice on a Saturday.

I want to be entertained not fvcking bored to death watching vesty the keeper and faes making 600 passes between themselves every game.

Even when we had the opportunity in games to break at pace and put the opposition under pressure we very rarely did.  No let the opposition fall back built two lines of four while vesty and Co make 200 passes on the edge of our own box. Then oh no we can't break them down. All due to the way we play. Fvcking awful slow boring shite.

Fwiw, I thought the football last season was very entertaining... when the opposition played into our hands. We'd move the ball around trying to goad them out of their shape and when they took the bait and pressed we looked dangerous. It was when teams just sat back and kept their discipline I think we struggled to adapt, and still just passed it around with little penetration and open to counters.

If the new manager can keep the good but also find a way to score goals another way we'll be laughing. Interestingly, Man City and Arsenal are 1st and 3rd for set piece goals last season whereas we were 15th. An obvious area to improve as it's a way to get a goal and force the opposition to come out and play us. Although being lower in the league will also help with this!

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, LinekersLugs said:

IMG_3547.jpeg

1 minute ago, LVFox said:

Igor Tudor leaving Lazio, which is a shock.

He'd ruffle feathers but is a decent coach.

Romans

Rome

Lazio

Please send help... or football... I can't hack the summer

8 minutes ago, ClaphamFox said:

Were you thinking the same when Wes Morgan lifted the Premier League trophy in 2016?

MoN was sloppy seconds to look how the ended up.

Forests sloppy seconds have been involved in the best two periods in our history.

Now imagine 3rd time lucky. Champions league it is then 😆 🤣 😂 😹 😆 🤣 😂 😹 

• Haha 1

Whilst I’ve been quick to judge Steve Cooper (mainly because he looks like he’s just escaped a headlock) I don’t get the fawning for Corberan over him… Cooper actually achieved what Corberan hasn’t yet?

He inherited a rubbish team and got them promoted, something Corberan hasn’t done with either Huddersfield or WBA :dunno:

• Haha 3

19 minutes ago, ClaphamFox said:

Were you thinking the same when Wes Morgan lifted the Premier League trophy in 2016?

No - Wes is ****ing beautiful

3 minutes ago, EnderbyFox said:

Whilst I’ve been quick to judge Steve Cooper (mainly because he looks like he’s just escaped a headlock) I don’t get the fawning for Corberan over him… Cooper actually achieved what Corberan hasn’t yet?

He inherited a rubbish team and got them promoted, something Corberan hasn’t done with either Huddersfield or WBA :dunno:

Nobody is fawning are they?

But many have pointed out he ticks the King Power continuity box whilst having potentially more flexibility than Maresca in terms of systems.  

This seems a reasonable view, compared to 'don't like Cooper cos he looks ugly' which many have said - yourself included. 

Cooper also did not do a good job in the Prem albeit for a club witha lunatic owner, Corberan is an unknown quantity in that regard.

That said, Ric has pointed out Cooper does promote youth and has shown some tactical flexibility historically so I am not saying his appointment would be a disaster.  

Corberan just seems a more obvious choice to me.  

7 minutes ago, sylofox said:

We will be over the maximum 3 Yr spend. Having money won't get us out of that one. The minute we spend we will be in breach again. Unless we sell some first.

Absolutely spot on.

I'd take our 2016 style over bodgers and Enzo ball every day of the week and twice on a Saturday.

I want to be entertained not fvcking bored to death watching vesty the keeper and faes making 600 passes between themselves every game.

Even when we had the opportunity in games to break at pace and put the opposition under pressure we very rarely did.  No let the opposition fall back built two lines of four while vesty and Co make 200 passes on the edge of our own box. Then oh no we can't break them down. All due to the way we play. Fvcking awful slow boring shite.

Thank God it wasn't just me who saw it this way too.

I had many a "heated discussion" at work, and possibly on here also when voicing my reservations and dislike of EnzoBall as a whole

I was just branded a 'football tactics neanderthal', and told it's "because you don't understand it" and don't see the ethos behind the style as to why you hate it 

No..I fully understood the technical aspects and pulling of the opposition around to make gaps, but it's also just boring as hell to watch, which got worse when the opposition sussed us out and 'Pep wanna be 2.0' was to stubborn to even entertain adapting tactics and style (which ironically was exactly what the opposition did to us)

I just (foolishly) live in hope that Top doesn't want the next managerial appointment to continue this god awful brand of football....  

• Like 4

7 hours ago, Scotch said:

Two of the teams that were relegated this year would have stayed up in that 2013/14 season. Two of the teams that made the playoffs that year would have missed out last season and Burnley who were promoted automatically with 93 pts that season would have finished third this time around. 

I think you're suffering from a bout of nostalgia. 

You’re talking about points alone. Put this current side in that league back then, we wouldn’t have accumulated the same amount of points. I’m talking about the quality

Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, KFS said:

I don’t want an ugly manager. There I ****ing said it

Would be a nice nod to  the Elephant Man’s Leicester connections though 

Edited by Mike Oxlong
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, ronnup said:

Sooner rather than later whoever it is please 

If the club genuinely wants Cooper, you'd expect it to happen soon given that he's currently a free agent. If this drags on beyond the weekend, it would imply we're looking at other candidates...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cityfanlee23 said:

I think the important context for Corberan is that yes he does have a "style" but he's very pragmatic, he usually sets up in a 4-2-3-1, but his formations change throughout the game where players take up different roles and positions to counter the opponent. This season he has also played a 3-5-2, a 4-4-2, a 3-4-3 and a 5-4-1. 
Corberan does have a preferred playing style, but he's proven at West Brom that he plays to beat the opposition and get the best out of the squad he has, rather than setting up solely to play "his way" like Enzo did. 

I'd rather have a pragmatic Corberan than a static manager wedded to a system with the season we face. 

You make some valid points. Agree we need to be able to adapt to teams we play