Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Happy Fox

Managerial Replacements

38 minutes ago, LestaLad said:

Ahh

Nothing reported here in my opinion, he's contracted to a club of course he is going to be having daily contact for next season, he is not going to drop everything because of a new potential job. With regards to the bookies nothing to report there.

6 minutes ago, ClaphamFox said:

If the club genuinely wants Cooper, you'd expect it to happen soon given that he's currently a free agent. If this drags on beyond the weekend, it would imply we're looking at other candidates...

If we've even started looking yet.

• Like 1

I think it'll be a manager that has put themselves forward for it rather than us go asking for permission for an already employed manager.

Fair to say Oscar Garcia and Steve Cooper are likely to have applied....

16 minutes ago, Guppys Love Child said:

Thank God it wasn't just me who saw it this way too.

I had many a "heated discussion" at work, and possibly on here also when voicing my reservations and dislike of EnzoBall as a whole

I was just branded a 'football tactics neanderthal', and told it's "because you don't understand it" and don't see the ethos behind the style as to why you hate it 

No..I fully understood the technical aspects and pulling of the opposition around to make gaps, but it's also just boring as hell to watch, which got worse when the opposition sussed us out and 'Pep wanna be 2.0' was to stubborn to even entertain adapting tactics and style (which ironically was exactly what the opposition did to us)

I just (foolishly) live in hope that Top doesn't want the next managerial appointment to continue this god awful brand of football....  

I agree, although it has to be said that there were flashes of brilliance and very pleasing on the eye football as well. The problem was the turgid stuff signifcantly outweighed the brilliant by a long long margin..... at least for me it did. I recognise that others liked the tactical nature of the games and thats fair enough

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, ClaphamFox said:

If the club genuinely wants Cooper, you'd expect it to happen soon given that he's currently a free agent. If this drags on beyond the weekend, it would imply we're looking at other candidates...

I remember saying several days ago that we would likely go for someone who is out of contract as it would save on compo...

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

I think it'll be a manager that has put themselves forward for it rather than us go asking for permission for an already employed manager.

Fair to say Oscar Garcia and Steve Cooper are likely to have applied....

If that's the case and we're only looking at out-of-work managers, I suspect Cooper is as good as it's going to get.

However, I hope you're wrong and that we're willing to pay for somebody we really want. 

Edited by ClaphamFox
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Bluearmyfox28 said:

f**k me the amount people fight to prove a point on here without any facts or just made-up statements is unreal. The one thing that annoys me is that it appears most assume that the club just look at a manager and do not think about the personnel of players the club has and whether that meets the criteria for a certain managers style, but let's actually break it down.

Moyes - For me the player personnel he requires for his system does not match what we currently have. He prefers to have a target man that he can throw balls into the box for and someone that can throw their weight around a bit, he also likes to have a shadow striker preferably with aerial presence (Cahill, Fellaini, Soucek) who can make late runs into the box, again something we do not have and doesn't suit the style of players we currently have. He likes to play a lot of the time with 2 traditional holding midfielders, if Wilf leaves, we will have no one that can play that role other than possibly Hamza. So, for me Moyes is not an option based on current players within the squad regardless of previous achievements. 

Cooper - A fast direct attacking manager, however, his sides have struggled with their defensive structure and leaked a fair few goals. One thing that was noticeable for me when thinking about his time at Forest was how bad they were at set pieces, it was horrendous to watch and something that we have to improve on already. If I remember correctly, they also managed to only win one game away from home all season, which means a huge emphasis was put on Forest to win games at home. Cooper's preferred style appears to be a 3-4-2-1 but has adapted during his time at Forest due to options he had available to him. Cooper preferably prefers to overload width by using attacking fullback's' on the outside with the wingers playing more inverted to create space on the outside. An investment at full back is needed regardless of manager in charge, and it is fair to say Cooper is a very good man manager. However, from an attacking perspective I am not sure if our wingers (which arguably is one of our biggest strengths currently) are made for the style of working in tight spaces which he would prefer them to play. I am open to Cooper but have concerns regarding how leaky his defences can be at times as well as how poor they have been at set pieces in the past. 

Corberan - For me Corberan is one of the most misunderstood managers out there from a perspective of playing style. Corberan prefers to play a 4-2-3-1 with huge emphasis on the fullbacks both going forward and defending. He wants to keep the ball but not for the sake of it. If the option is there to play direct, then he will set up direct or be patient depending on what is more effective against the opponent. He has an emphasis on being solid defensively and from set pieces, but this does not make him a defensive mindset manager. Going forward he wants his wide players to play as wide as possible creating spaces for the full backs to make vertical runs in the space vacated by the winger, causing the full back to make a choice of which player to follow and the ball being played to the player not being marked. He also has a heavy emphasis on movement off the ball creating gaps either to play the ball into or to allow the attacking player to have freedom whilst on the ball. He likes to create overloads from a counter attacking perspective, often resulting in WBA going forward with 4/5 vs 3 scenarios and forces teams to become nervous to commit too many men forward as shown against us this season at our place and something that we are going to have to deal with often this next season. Not only does Corberan's structure and fluidity of style impress me but also the history they have got of getting results against the "big boys". Often WBA are the underdogs and thrive in that, he drew once and won once against Leeds, beat, and drew against Ipswich, and lost twice against us but I think any other day they would have at least got a draw in both games. That's 8 points from a possible 18 that you would argue they did not expect to get anything from nor did his side play like underdogs.

Potter – Like Cooper, Potter’s preferable style appears to be 3-4-2-1 but instead of inverted wingers, potter prefers to play with attacking wingbacks and two No.10’s behind the striker, straight away I think our personnel does not support this system and moves away from our strengths within the team. Potter’s team often have trouble to breakdown teams and depend heavily on possession-based football. I have seen many advocate for Potter but did not want Enzo, which for me is surprising as I see Potter’s style of play a more defensive version of Enzo’s just without the inverted full back. Potter also likes his forward players to be interchangeable often moving from left, to centre, to the right throughout the game. Other than Mavididi I do not think this suits our playing squad due to the majority of our attackers being restricted to just one position.

Overall, for our current financial circumstances, the most proven to perform in that category is Corberan. in terms of playing with that underdog mentality, your most proven is Corberan and in terms of playing style being most suitable to our current players, again I think Corberan is the most suitable candidate. For me, Corberan should be clear favourite for the job, and I still think Corberan has a lot more to show considering his whole managerial career he has had close to nothing to spend, if he gets access to some funds, who knows how much more efficient his teams can be compared to what they already are.

Thanks for this.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, MPH said:

I remember saying several days ago that we would likely go for someone who is out of contract as it would save on compo...

Big Sam? 

I'm coming around to Cooper, he was poor in the PL but getting Forest into the PL is a genuinely impressive achievement considering their basket case owners and transfer strategy. I think he could be quite good for us.

Just now, Golden Fox said:

With Cooper currently the bookies' favourite (whatever that means) - I've done a bit of research (Yes - I've looked at his Wikipedia page):

- Son of Keith Cooper - the referee!

- One of the youngest coaches to get his UEFA Pro Licence, he started in Liverpool's youth teams, overseeing the likes of Sterling and Alexander-Arnold

- Went to England setup - got different teams into latter stages of big tournaments: and his under 17 team only went and won the World Cup.

- His club career is 4 and a bit seasons:

Season 1 - got Swansea to Championship Play-Offs

Season 2 - got Swansea to Championship Play-Off Final

Season 3 - got F****t from bottom place to promotion (and had a good cup run:mad:)

Season 4 - against the odds, kept F****t up (against more established Premier League teams :mad:) - and the last season has shown how difficult keeping a newly promoted team up can be

Season 5 - sacked with the club 5 points above the relegation places

So he has a bloody good track record of success and working with young players, and if you look past his F****t connections, his name, his appearance and the perception of him not wanting to play possession football, you can see that this could be a very good appointment.

Which is untrue anyway...

Just looked at Cooper’s stats in the PL and that’s why it’s no for me 

Played 55

Won 12 

Drawn 16 

Lost 27 

Points total of 52 

Thats 0.94 per game - equalling out to a 36 point season which won’t be enough for next season. 55 games is a decent barometer too 

• Like 3

41 minutes ago, KFS said:

I don’t want an ugly manager. There I ****ing said it

On 02/06/2024 at 15:20, Izzy said:

If Cooper was stunningly good looking, people would have less of an issue with him coming here.

Nobody wants to be associated with ugly. 

:cheers:

5 minutes ago, Golden Fox said:

With Cooper currently the bookies' favourite (whatever that means) - I've done a bit of research (Yes - I've looked at his Wikipedia page):

- Son of Keith Cooper - the referee!

- One of the youngest coaches to get his UEFA Pro Licence, he started in Liverpool's youth teams, overseeing the likes of Sterling and Alexander-Arnold

- Went to England setup - got different teams into latter stages of big tournaments: and his under 17 team only went and won the World Cup.

- His club career is 4 and a bit seasons:

Season 1 - got Swansea to Championship Play-Offs

Season 2 - got Swansea to Championship Play-Off Final

Season 3 - got F****t from bottom place to promotion (and had a good cup run:mad:)

Season 4 - against the odds, kept F****t up (against more established Premier League teams :mad:) - and the last season has shown how difficult keeping a newly promoted team up can be

Season 5 - sacked with the club 5 points above the relegation places

So he has a bloody good track record of success and working with young players, and if you look past his F****t connections, his name, his appearance and the perception of him not wanting to play possession football, you can see that this could be a very good appointment.

Plus his greatest achievement in Season 4: Achieved the seemingly impossible task of successfully integrating 87 new signings into a PL squad of 25 players.

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, CosbehFox said:

Just looked at Cooper’s stats in the PL and that’s why it’s no for me 

Played 55

Won 12 

Drawn 16 

Lost 27 

Points total of 52 

Thats 0.94 per game - equalling out to a 36 point season which won’t be enough for next season. 55 games is a decent barometer too 

I'm not saying I favour him, but his stats are based on a squad of big time Charlie's who where probably just bought on big name basis that he didn't have much choice on since their squad was depleted from loans the previous season.

I dunno... do we?? 😜

4 minutes ago, cityfanlee23 said:

I think @Bluearmyfox28's post above regarding Corberan probably explains my position well. To add to his post, our flanks are basically our strongest position at the moment. Ricardo overlapping Fatawu and potentially Kristiansen (who left on loan specifically because he wouldn't be used as a traditional overlapping fullback) back from his loan at Bologna overlapping Mavididi could give us 2 really dangerous flanks during games. 

Let's face it, I don't think any of us are really "excited" by the mangers we are currently linked with as all of them have points to prove, for me personally Corberan represents one of the better options available but everyone sees things differently.  

Also add a progressive JJ who we know can bomb forward with pace and make a decent cross and shot.  Hopefully he can finally be deprogrammed safely after Rodgers and Enzo. 

• Like 2