Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Happy Fox

Managerial Replacements

I'm not convinced by his record which is all I've really got to do on as I barely watched Forest under him and yes, I've had a few joking potshots at the fact he looks like he'd hang around parks looking to by teenagers booze and spend the rest of the night trying to be pals with them because all his old mates have moved on with families and he's lonely BUT I do think some of the reactions on here are WAYYY OTT! 

• Haha 2

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, Saxondale said:

I’m afraid a lot of our fanbase has lost their heads since we won the PL. It was always going to happen. People’s expectations aren’t quite calibrated correctly.

For anyone interested, if you copy this into Google and hit translate it says “we were in league 1 once”.

Edited by VLC86
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

45 minutes ago, KFS said:

Please mate - it’s called any other football club would be in revolt. See you at the KP at 5?

Steve cooper in as manager with Steve Stone assistant and Ian woan as coach 👍🏻

Cooperman - you can see the inflatables now. 

In all honesty he did a superb job at Forest getting them away from the bottom of the championship then through the playoffs, surviving the first season in Premiership and into the next. Admittedly it wasn’t going great last season but he was unfortunate to get the sack when he did imho. 

I think he’ll do Ok should we end up getting him. Not sure why we haven’t heard much in the last 48 hours. 

1 hour ago, richardsfoxes said:

I think most Including myself tbh are finding it hard to come to terms with what this club is now. Madness to think we we're favourites to win a european league 2-3 seasons ago and got into the semi finals only now to be told we can't afford to even look at potential managers in jobs as we can't afford it, even after receiving money from our previous manager. 

Yet you've still got people on here telling us we can't say the Director of Footballs done a bad job lol

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Babylon said:

Copper took over Swansea in 10th, finished 6th and then 4th before leaving. 

Took over Forest bottom of the Championship and finished 4th. 

Kept Forest in the premier league despite everyone on here writing them off. 

Was still 5 points clear of relegation when sacked. 

Corberan has potential, but so far he's just managed to not get two teams promoted. And each and every other option has potebtial issues and question marks. 

The points you make are seen as positives for Cooper but negatives for Corberan? Why is that?

West Brom and Huddersfield were widely tipped for dreadful seasons and Corberan took them both into the play offs. Very harsh and plain unfair to say "he's just managed to not get two teams promoted".

18 minutes ago, Lambert09 said:

I would say that his glass ceiling would be higher. 

I also think his style fits what we’ve been working on more.

Hes never had an opportunity in the top flight but I like what i’ve seen of him. 

So yes id be fully behind that. I just don’t think Cooper fits us, the logic doesn’t add up for me.  

Back to conceding from ever corner. Being happy to sit without the ball and keep your fingers crossed it doesn’t go in. (not going to work with our defence)

In total honesty, I wouldn’t be fully convinced if we were still in the championship 

He's pragmaetic with his style, Forest were very entertaining in the championship and he's said he likes to play attractive, passing, attacking football. But seems realistic that it might take time to get to where he wants to be. 

Just now, AKCJ said:

The points you make are seen as positives for Cooper but negatives for Corberan? Why is that?

West Brom and Huddersfield were widely tipped for dreadful seasons and Corberan took them both into the play offs. Very harsh and plain unfair to say "he's just managed to not get two teams promoted".

I've explained why in another post. I like him, it's holding a mirror up to people slating Cooper for what's arguably a better record. I'd be happy with him. 

10 minutes ago, RobHawk said:

He did struggle in the prem, but how much of that was a batshit crazy chairman signing 400 players regardless of whether they fit his playing style and expected him to keep them all happy. 

I think people forget how much basically everyone on here said they had zero chance of staying up because of their bat shit recruitment. The fact he managed to keep it all together, despite losing so many players from the championship team and bringing so many people in, for me is a positive. It's a skill to manage a group if players like that!

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, Babylon said:

He's pragmaetic with his style, Forest were very entertaining in the championship and he's said he likes to play attractive, passing, attacking football. But seems realistic that it might take time to get to where he wants to be. 

He’s not a complete basket-case. I just feel that we have an opportunity right now to attract a stronger candidate. 

Id hazard a guess that if we were dead bottom at xmas,  cut adrift, that copper would still take the gig.  

It’s just a little underwhelming. I’ll give whoever comes in my backing until they lose it on the pitch, but some of my pre-season optimism would certainly dissipate 

Edited by Lambert09

Corberan seemed decent until the play offs, West Brom offered absolutely nothing against Southampton who we know are soft as shite 

5 minutes ago, les-tah said:

Been off socials for the day.. is cooper now a guaranteed i am confused? 

NOT guaranteed. Lots of speculation but most reports suggest only that he's being considered, not that he's been chosen. Odds haven't budged at all, so there's not even much money being put on it.

6 hours ago, Vlad the Fox said:

I think most fans want quick football, I seem to remember pep getting stick from man city fans before they started winning things. Once results falter the fans turn quicker than when the football is more exciting. 

Technically and tactically these teams are great but it’s death by football, trying to eliminate the risk and jeopardy that makes the game exciting. There’s plenty of teams that play fast attacking football that isn’t “lump it”, I’d watch these over the likes of man city who I’d tend not to bother with when they’re on tv. 

That’s not the case for many around the world. Man City’s football is what’s considered exciting, not hoof ball.

51 minutes ago, KFS said:

Ric please pick me up off the floor here mate. This is a terrible idea isn’t it? Isn’t it????

It's certainly not an appointment that's going to please the majority. Whether he'd be a success here or a complete disaster like many fear would be highly debatable. There's never a guarantee with any manager.

At best we are going to get a manager who's not got failures against his name but instead very little in the way of anything - see Maresca last season. 

Cooper's positives are his work in academies and with England, his development of young players which was also impressive at Swansea shouldn't be ignored. It's one of the main priorities I want to see in any manager we get.

That's why I'm more keen on RvN or Johnny Heitinga than most would be given they're unproven. But what they have done is manage extremely prestigious academies and reserve teams and have a track record of bringing players through.

Cooper's promotion at Forest was ridiculous, but then again have a look at any Championship team that went from the bottom to promotion and it's not as unheard of as something similar at the highest level. Both Roy Keane and Iain Dowie I think did the same and both turned out to be diabolical (they didn't have anywhere near the hard yards as a coach or manager as Cooper has though).

His time in the PL at Forest is very poor IMO. I get it was a chaotic environment for him, the squad promotion barely existed so even putting aside the nonsense 30-40 players that signed across 2 summers, they were having to rebuild a squad and it's very complex and difficult and mistakes are made.

It's the squad and the way they struggled in 2023/24 that bothers me. On paper the squad was much better and yet they were appalling under him. He did chop and change tactics in the 18 months in the Prem but he didn't land on a base that was consistent enough for him.

So the jury is very much out on him at this level. We aren't the most stable of clubs right now either so it's neither an ideal gig for him and us. 

I'm not disgusted by this link, nor am I pleased. Someone likened him to Chris Wilder, which isn't perhaps as wild a (excuse the pun) comparison as you'd think. He did wonders in the lower leagues and actually used the momentum that 1st season in the Prem to massively over achieve but he's since been a very poor manager with other clubs.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, goody2028 said:

The love in for cooper on here is quite strange. Forest and Swansea fans are pissing themselves at the thought of us having him. 

Agree we can do better than Cooper was terrible in the Prem

28 minutes ago, goody2028 said:

The love in for cooper on here is quite strange. Forest and Swansea fans are pissing themselves at the thought of us having him. 

I highly doubt Swansea fans are pissing themselves. Majority would probably chop off a bollock to go back to the levels they were with him, and the sort of player he brought to the club. They've been distinctly average since he left. 

• Like 1

Who do people think we're realistically going to get?

Cooper is about 3rd best known choice for me, Potter > Corberan > Cooper.

Unless people want to take a chance of a relatively unknown foreign manager, who someone who has not much experience being a manager.

• Like 1