Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Happy Fox

Managerial Replacements

Personally think Cooper did a great job at Forest considering all the players he had signed for him when they went up. A complete rebuild which clearly wasn't solely down to him and he managed it well. 

• Like 4

As I said before, if it is Cooper, then I think that is because our preferred choices aren't interested or too expensive. 

I'll get behind him if he comes in, but it is all a bit meh. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AjcW said:

You’re going to be busy mate. Fella uses about 9 tactics lol 

You've found the real reason I'm against him! The lack of enthusiasm in the inevitable "Tactics under Cooper" thread will be palpable!

1 hour ago, Nick said:

I'm a bit horrified we are apparently entreating the idea of employing him to be honest, I didn't think his brand of football was at all what we were trying to achieve.

I think this is hard to judge as he plays quite a lot of different styles and was put into extremely challenging circumstances by the Forest owner. His tactical track record prior to that was quite promising.

What I would say is that I've not seen a game where I was impressed tactically by what Forest were doing or by their style of play. He did well with them, especially in the Championship and that infamous cup game, but compared to other people we've been linked to, I don't see what's special about him. Tactically Corberan stands out not just this season but over the last few seasons. I thought Corberan was in with a shot last season at the job here, that's the level I would rate him at. Very promising young manager.

Cooper I don't think is the worst appointment in the world and on paper is very sensible. But do you want sensible or do you want exciting? Farke was sensible, Maresca was exciting (well maybe not the football at times!). Moyes and Cooper are sensible, Corberan / Cuesta / etc exciting. 

1 minute ago, StriderHiryu said:

You've found the real reason I'm against him! The lack of enthusiasm in the inevitable "Tactics under Cooper" thread will be palpable!

I think you'll have to do a weekly webinar to be honest lol 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, DezFox said:

Oh cool, Cooper and Moyes must be only 2 managers that are interested then. 😂

Not really - but some on here do seem to overestimate the attractiveness of the job right now. 

48 minutes ago, kyleolly said:

Steve cooper in as manager with Steve Stone assistant and Ian woan as coach 👍🏻

FM but the last time we had a real forest connection was Martin O'Neil and John Robertson and they were both fantastic 

I'll give him a go 

31 minutes ago, Phenom said:

That’s not the case for many around the world. Man City’s football is what’s considered exciting, not hoof ball.

The only options aren't man city's way or hoof ball though.

There's plenty of successful football teams that are more exciting than man city that don't play hoof ball. 

Posted (edited)
17 minutes ago, coolhandfox said:

He spent 267.15m across 3 PL windows. 

His overall record at Forest, including their Championship season, is bang average

His PL record is even worse!

It wasn't him spending it. This shouldn't be ignored - the amount of players coming in very likely made his job much harder, not easier. Chelsea have massively underperformed in recent years because their owners have adopted a similar policy.

It doesn't mean he's right for us, but I think it should be acknowledged that the working environment at Forest since they got promoted has been far from ideal.

Edited by ClaphamFox
  • Like 3

4 minutes ago, enmac said:

Cooper 4 Rodgers 1:

Not hard tbf, the tea lady was out thinking Rodgers from this point to the end of his massive payout

3 minutes ago, ClaphamFox said:

It wasn't him spending it. This shouldn't be ignored - the amount of players coming in very likely made his job much harder, not easier. Chelsea have massively underperformed in recent years because their owners have adopted a similar policy.

It doesn't mean he's right for us, but I think it should be acknowledged that the working environment at Forest since they got promoted has been far from ideal.

So you can prove he had to say at all?

1 minute ago, Izzy said:

Remember how shocked everyone was when Ranieri (and to a degree also Maresca) were appointed?

No one saw those coming so what makes people so sure it’ll be Cooper/Corberan/Moyes etc. this time?

Why not another left field appointment?

Personally I’m quite happy for us to take our time with this while everyone is on holiday.

Wouldn't be surprised if we end up with someone who’s not even on the bookies list atm.

This. Totally this

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, coolhandfox said:

His overall record at Forest, including their Championship season, is bang average

You’ve got this the wrong way round. He didn’t sign those wastemen. He managed to achieve what he achieved DESPITE the fat Greek’s imbecile son touring Europe with his dad’s chequebook and signing everything that moved.

7 minutes ago, Izzy said:

Remember how shocked everyone was when Ranieri (and to a degree also Maresca) were appointed?

No one saw those coming so what makes people so sure it’ll be Cooper/Corberan/Moyes etc. this time?

Why not another left field appointment?

Personally I’m quite happy for us to take our time with this while everyone is on holiday.

Wouldn't be surprised if we end up with someone who’s not even on the bookies list atm.

100% this. They surprise us every time. 

6 minutes ago, coolhandfox said:

So you can prove he had to say at all?

Of course I can't 'prove' it, but the general view among Forest fans is that those transfers in the summer of 2022 were being made above Cooper's head. There are even stories of him turning up to the training ground and not knowing who certain players were because they'd been signed without his input. Their transfer activity that summer had all the hallmarks of an owner going a bit mad rather than a planned strategy with full input from the manager.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, ClaphamFox said:

Of course I can't 'prove' it, but the general view among Forest fans is that those transfers in the summer of 2022 were being made above Cooper's head. There are even stories of him turning up to the training ground and not knowing who certain players were because they'd been signed without his input. Their transfer activity that summer had all the hallmarks of an owner going a bit mad rather than a planned strategy with full input from the manager.

There's people that will tell you we only stayed up in 14/15 because cambiasso took over... 

I just think if it was Cooper he'd be in post by now, tbh. He's available, he'd bite our hand off for the chance, his last job was local, I assume there's very few complications.

He'd represent a significant change in strategy, he doesn't play the desired type of football. Surely the delay is that we're just taking our time to find Maresca mk 2. There's got to be a raft of other similar, young coaches with the footballing philosophy that the ownership want. We showed a willingness to trust one last year and it went great, we got promoted, just can't imagine we'd immediately change our approach now and hire someone that plays vastly different football. 

As cheap as Cooper might be in terms of salary and compensation, he'd be costly in that we'd presumably have to reshape some of the squad. Just doesn't seem likely really.

But it's good for us and good for Cooper if that's the main story the press and the rumour mill want to focus on so yknow. Cool.

49 minutes ago, coolhandfox said:

Ignoring the context of the money spent, how an earth is taking a team from the bottom to promotion, in a matter of months 'bang average'?

• Like 1