Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Happy Fox

Managerial Replacements

Posted (edited)
23 minutes ago, Sunbury Fox said:

Well, it certainly isn't playing 541, having 20% possession and winning 20% of your games, which is what Cooper did in the PL with F*rest.

But having 50%+ possession and winning 24% of your games, only keeping 18% clean sheets, failing to score in 42% of home games (32% of games overall) and rarely getting out of our own half (our 22/23 stats) is "the way to play football"?

Point being i'm not sure what relevance your possession point means.

Edited by Matt

2 hours ago, ForestAreMagic said:

I think people are basically saying ‘we hate Derby more’.  

The Derby rivalry is a lot more poisonous.  When popular Forest players like Commons and Tyson have gone there, our fans have really turned on them - unlike Wes Morgan and others that have gone to Leicester.  A lot of Forest fans were quite pleased you won the league (unthinkable if it had been Derby), and no one will turn on Cooper if he goes to Leicester.  

But no denying we’ve got a few songs about hating both clubs

From a lad I've been a Forest intense disliker but something strange happened recently.

My lad met a lovely girl and her entire family are Forest season ticketers, of course I told him she's no for you son, but they're entire fanbase showed such devotion, love and unity to the Forest cause that I couldn't help but be impressed. The loyal reds were actually clapping and cheering whilst losing.

Obviously Forest are a deluded bunch, as I'd originally suspected, and i continued to wind her family up. As a true blue absolutely should do. Meanwhile I was being torn apart by the Rogers and Top love in. 

Lightbulb moment. I'm not happy but the dastardly Forest are. And on further investigation they have been happy with their journey too. 

Finally, I exploded calling them knob heads, living off your double European success way back from biblical times, but secretly I do admire the Forest supporters and genuinely dislike some of the winging babies that call themselves Fox's.

• Like 1

On Moyes, I think he gets a lot of stick but facts are last season his West Ham side scored more premier league goals (60 goals) than Manchester United (57 goals).

West Ham lost the same number as games as both Manchester United and Newcastle United.

I think for us, and where we want to be next season he's the standout manager.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Happy Fox said:

On Moyes, I think he gets a lot of stick but facts are last season his West Ham side scored more premier league goals (60 goals) than Manchester United (57 goals).

West Ham lost the same number as games as both Manchester United and Newcastle United.

I don’t know but I’m getting the feeling you want moyes? 

To be honest I’d be happy enough with him but don’t know whether it would be too big of a shift and he’d lose the players.

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, teblin said:

I don’t know but I’m getting the feeling you want moyes? 

To be honest I’d be happy enough with him but don’t know whether it would be too big of a shift and he’d lose the players.

I want him in, if it's a choice between him, Cooper and Corberan.

Imo, we need an experienced premier league manager, we cannot afford a gamble appointment with someone with less experience, or someone like Maresca profile (i.e an assistant). Premier league is an unforgiving league and it's better imo to have someone who has been there and done it.

Playing style, maybe a bit of a difference, but we would still attack teams and score goals imo. Maybe we would lose more games than we win, but if we are able to get to 45 points, and factor in the points deduction, I think that would hopefully be enough for us to finish 17th.

Edited by Happy Fox
  • Like 3

The only thing about Moyes you gather he is a save pair of hands for perhaps 2 seasons with vast premier league experience which will prove invaluable for us as it looks we will be starting on minus points for financial reasons alone staying up is the only goal. Personally I would prefer Corberan. 

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Happy Fox said:

They leaked 74, only beaten by the bottom 3. Man U had one of their worst seasons since the PL started so comparisons are tenuous. Letting in 74 not through exciting football, but playing back to the wall almost scared rubbish that quite rightly annoyed their fans. 

West Ham ended up on -14 GD with a far better squad than Moyes is going to have here. It’s hard not to look at the last 2 pl seasons as massive underachievements with the resources he had. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Chrysalis said:

They obviously do care about us, otherwise they wouldnt talk about us, however my only interest in them is the same as Derby, and Coventry really, they are a local team, but nothing more then that, I have never understood why people on here treat them as some kind of big rival and go mad if we take on a ex forest player/manager.

Guessing its a generational thing.

Forest saying they don't care about us , is no weirder than our fans saying how much they hate Spurs , then having a Chelsea love in , after years of them poaching our players and staff.

If Cooper is appointed by Leicester,  I'll 100% back him and his staff, although there's others I'd prefer.

Next season is all about survival for us and I don't care how crap the football is , as long as we are in the division at the end of it.

We need a few years of stability and to get our finances in order without thinking we can challenge for Europe for a while.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Chelmofox said:

They leaked 74, only beaten by the bottom 3. Man U had one of their worst seasons since the PL started so comparisons are tenuous. Letting in 74 not through exciting football, but playing back to the wall almost scared rubbish that quite rightly annoyed their fans. 

West Ham ended up on -14 GD with a far better squad than Moyes is going to have here. It’s hard not to look at the last 2 pl seasons as massive underachievements with the resources he had. 

Maybe this season gone was an underachievement finishing 9th, but they still were able to reach the quarter finals in both the Europa league and League Cup.

The 2022-2023 yes they finished 14th which was pretty bad, but they still were able to win a trophy.

For us as a short term appointment (2 seasons), I don't think he would be a bad choice, we need to re-establish ourselves at this level and for me I would much prefer to have someone of his experience

14 minutes ago, Chelmofox said:

Alot was made and excused for our football in the Premier League whereby we had to juggle European commitments, so that has to be taken into account, it's not like West Ham/Moyes didn't take those commitments lightly either - I'm not making a case for Moyes by the way, just playing devils advocate where people would sticking up and making excuses for when we were in a similar situation...and ended up declining with ultimate relegation.

52 minutes ago, Grebfromgrebland said:

To be fair Carlo Ancelotti would be decent. Good find this Ric.

I'd not be surprised to see a few links to his son soon....

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Matt said:

Alot was made and excused for our football in the Premier League whereby we had to juggle European commitments, so that has to be taken into account, it's not like West Ham/Moyes didn't take those commitments lightly either - I'm not making a case for Moyes by the way, just playing devils advocate where people would sticking up and making excuses for when we were in a similar situation...and ended up declining with ultimate relegation.

Yes - winning a trophy should never be underestimated. But look at the teams they got in the knockout stages. Would have loved those in our run in rather than PSV and Roma. But you still have to do it. But right now, i would be focussing on managers recent league records, not their cup runs. 

28 minutes ago, Happy Fox said:

Maybe this season gone was an underachievement finishing 9th, but they still were able to reach the quarter finals in both the Europa league and League Cup.

The 2022-2023 yes they finished 14th which was pretty bad, but they still were able to win a trophy.

For us as a short term appointment (2 seasons), I don't think he would be a bad choice, we need to re-establish ourselves at this level and for me I would much prefer to have someone of his experience

I'm never going to say Moyes is a bad appointment. I'm just contesting this view that he is some sort of 'safe pair of hands'. I think that is as lazy as saying Brendan was elite and we were 'lucky to have him'. In the PL- last 2 seasons, for one reason or another Moyes has really struggled. The 2nd half the season just finished it cannot be underestimated how badly West Ham performed. But West Ham are being dressed up as some plucky minnow, when in fact they have spent like a top team and Moyes had far better resources at West Ham than he is going to get here. He had resources that he should have been doing better with, especially defensively. I fail to see how this translates into keeping us up - i see it as a red flag.

Of the 3 names banded around this forum, he's 3rd choice (Corberan, Cooper then Moyes for me).  Its odd because my favourite is the one who has no PL experience at all, which might be the reason he isn't considered. I prefer Cooper over Moyes because i think you can make a case for Forests' leadership being a barrier to him kicking on. Moyes was backed sensibly, and i don't think he delivered. 

4 minutes ago, AKCJ said:

Why have I seen us linked with Edin Terzic twice this morning?

Probably someone taking the piss to prove you can start a rumour about anything. 

That said, if he hadn't had a great Champions League run he'd probably be out of a job. He's been a bit hit and miss in the league and and has had some catastrophic lows to go with some impressive highs already in such a short career as a head coach. 

It wouldn't surprise me if he's job searching in the next six months and if he does get sacked by Dortmund he'll probably wind up at a mid table team somewhere. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Chelmofox said:

Yes - winning a trophy should never be underestimated. But look at the teams they got in the knockout stages. Would have loved those in our run in rather than PSV and Roma. But you still have to do it. But right now, i would be focussing on managers recent league records, not their cup runs. 

I'm never going to say Moyes is a bad appointment. I'm just contesting this view that he is some sort of 'safe pair of hands'. I think that is as lazy as saying Brendan was elite and we were 'lucky to have him'. In the PL- last 2 seasons, for one reason or another Moyes has really struggled. The 2nd half the season just finished it cannot be underestimated how badly West Ham performed. But West Ham are being dressed up as some plucky minnow, when in fact they have spent like a top team and Moyes had far better resources at West Ham than he is going to get here. He had resources that he should have been doing better with, especially defensively. I fail to see how this translates into keeping us up - i see it as a red flag.

Of the 3 names banded around this forum, he's 3rd choice (Corberan, Cooper then Moyes for me).  Its odd because my favourite is the one who has no PL experience at all, which might be the reason he isn't considered. I prefer Cooper over Moyes because i think you can make a case for Forests' leadership being a barrier to him kicking on. Moyes was backed sensibly, and i don't think he delivered. 

I just don't buy the idea that having managed in the league before gives you some kind of special insight or way of working that other managers can't possibly have. What a manager did with other teams has no bearing on what he'll be able to do with ours. It's easy to say 'oh but they've been there and done it', they've 'got experience' - well not with this club, not with these players, not in this scenario.

I'd go so far as to say that 'premier league experience' is one of the things I'm least worried about. For me, the appointment should be made with only one thing in mind - who is best equipped to get the most out of the players at their disposal? That's what gives us the best chance of staying up. I'm not saying Moyes wouldn't be able to get a tune out of this lot, but all the people who are interested him are citing his PL experience and that he's a 'safe' appointment - I don't think that he has any attributes that set him apart significantly from some of the other names I've seen mentioned.

There's almost an assumption that if we can just get someone with the right experience, we'll be fine - personally I think this kind of appointment would show a lack of ambition, fear of the season ahead, and putting survival at all costs over the long term vision for the football club. We are going to start the seasons odds-on to go straight back down, I would rather we be bold and progressive, and if we go down, we go down playing the way we WANT to play, not just abandoning everything we've tried to build for an extra season on the Premier League teat.

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

Probably someone taking the piss to prove you can start a rumour about anything. 

That said, if he hadn't had a great Champions League run he'd probably be out of a job. He's been a bit hit and miss in the league and and has had some catastrophic lows to go with some impressive highs already in such a short career as a head coach. 

It wouldn't surprise me if he's job searching in the next six months and if he does get sacked by Dortmund he'll probably wind up at a mid table team somewhere. 

Terzic is basically Dortmund through and through, an actual fan of the club. The fact that he's got them to a CL final and there are still major question marks about him is a huge red flag.

Dortmund should have won the league last season but absolutely bottled it. Then they finished fifth this season when it should be practically impossible for them to finish as low as that.

The CL final is probably prompting the club to wait if anybody shows an interest and is willing to buy him out of his contract because there is definite cause for them to want to chance coach.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Happy Fox said:

I don't think Moyes would even come here

• Like 1
  • Haha 1