Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Happy Fox

Managerial Replacements

7 hours ago, lcfcsnow said:

His teams don't score goals, in his last 4 seasons Brighton scored 39, 40 and 42 over a 38 game season (the season he left they scored 72), at Chelsea they were equally as poor in front of goal.

potter.png.4ea3cc4839bc4e05ffe755743a7cd369.png

Rodgers let in 5 to that. ****ing hell man.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Pliskin said:

Hold on…. So some of you would take Cooper over Potter? Some of you are ****ing mental 😂

I would take Cooper before Potter every day of the week & twice on Sundays..

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

This is my main gripe with Potter, but there'll be loads of people who come on and defend him as never having a clinical striker at Brighton. 

He also struggled to get Chelsea scoring and Swansea weren't overly prolific for the level they were at either.

He again falls in to the category of manager that wouldn't be a horrendous appointment but his reputation is massively inflated for what he's achieved in this country.

Honestly, the peak for me with him was what he did in Sweden, which was genuinely impressive and rightly caught peoples eyes. I don't think he's a poor manager at all, and I think in our situation he'd not be a bad appointment, but I don't buy that it would be this back pages coup either. You're right - inflated reputation. I don't think he'd go down all that well here either. He's not particularly entertaining.

Edited by Dan LCFC
  • Like 1

I want some character that would galvanise us as underdogs this season, upsetting proceedings. Not another robot (Potter) playing by the FA coaching manual where our GK doesn't leave the 6 yard box. 

I would take a chance on Cooper. 

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, Gazza M said:

I want some character that would galvanise us as underdogs this season, upsetting proceedings. Not another robot (Potter) playing by the FA coaching manual where our GK doesn't leave the 6 yard box. 

I would take a chance on Cooper. 

So you want big Nige too?

I suppose the biggest draw for Cooper is his view on academy players. I’d say it is highly likely we would see a lot of Alves, Braybrook and Nelson, and potentially more of the academy. My issue is, it’s one thing blooding them, another coaching them to improve….. is this something Cooper will be able to do? 

I still don’t think Potter is a genuine to be fair, but he would set us up similar to Rodgers, so we’re likely to be fairly safe, but probably a bit dull too. Prior to him leaving Brighton however, they were probably as good as they’ve ever been in the PL….. 

Corberan is still my preferred choice, I think the job he’s done at WBA and Huddersfield before that was very impressive, considering he’s had no cash to spend. 

However, I was having a conversation with someone who has close links to the club, and they think the board are willing to spend money this window…..allegedly Enzo was given assurances he was going to get money to spend and the plans for the summer had already be written up, the Chelsea move came out of the blue it seems, and he saw it as too good an opportunity to pass up on. 

• Like 3

I am probably going to be slated for this but genuinely if we are looking at someone of the ilk of Cooper or Ole I would rather we give the job to Pearson for 2/3 seasons with a view to restablishing our cutting edge approach to recruitment, analytics and sports science. 

Ideally bring him in with a young innovative coaching team and with a succession plan for his Assistant to step up and replace him in a couple of years. I would be looking at someone like Wellens and King to be part of the coaching set up with Wellens stepping up once Pearson has decided to step back. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

30 minutes ago, Sly said:

I’d prefer Cooper over Potter.

I still say that Potter is Gareth Southgate Mk II.

Keep reading this, but what’s it based on other that they are English and have long faces?

4 minutes ago, Ricey said:

Keep reading this, but what’s it based on other that they are English and have long faces?

I think it's just personality , both are quiet and reasoned , relatively young nice guys.

7 minutes ago, Claudio Fannieri said:

I am probably going to be slated for this but genuinely if we are looking at someone of the ilk of Cooper or Ole I would rather we give the job to Pearson for 2/3 seasons with a view to restablishing our cutting edge approach to recruitment, analytics and sports science. 

Ideally bring him in with a young innovative coaching team and with a succession plan for his Assistant to step up and replace him in a couple of years. I would be looking at someone like Wellens and King to be part of the coaching set up with Wellens stepping up once Pearson has decided to step back. 

From reports I've read there must be question marks about Pearson's suitability because of his health problems.  Also, he performed best alongside Shakey & Walsh so would have to be able to bring in some v astute adjutant choices. My feeling is that he would make a brilliant DOF but I don't see that position becoming vacant any time soon.

I have limited knowledge of the present alleged candidates but am not enamoured with Potter as I think it's time to move on from the sterile passing approach, and more than anything we need a manager who is astute and flexible in his game management, and someone who can get the best out of our talented youth players.

For those reasons I would be reasonably happy with Cooper, although some of the other touted options look a little more exciting. (but definitely not OGS).

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Sly said:

I’d prefer Cooper over Potter.

I still say that Potter is Gareth Southgate Mk II.

Cooper literally learnt his trade with the FA. 

how anyone would want Cooper over Potter is beyond me. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Seventyseven said:

Cooper literally learnt his trade with the FA. 

how anyone would want Cooper over Potter is beyond me. 

There are several reasons why. If you scroll up you'll see some reasoned points.

48 minutes ago, Vazman said:

Here we go, the weekly revival of Pearson for the managers job, I think it's fair to say we all respect NP, but that ship has sailed now move on.

Did you actually read the post, I suggested Pearson as an alternative if we go down the route of appointing mediocrity like Ole or Cooper, he is nowhere near my 1st choice but would rather go back down this route than make a bang average appointment

Edited by Claudio Fannieri

8 hours ago, lcfc_forever said:

I think the board like Potter for the way he builds the team environment and culture at a club.

There's a whole chapter in a book called 'Edge' by Ben Lyttleton about what he did at Östersunds FK, and when reading it, I thought he'd be the type of coach our owners would go for. He innovates and challenges the players outside of their comfort zone. 

He's an intelligent guy and Leicester is the type of environment that would be a good fit for him where he can really influence things. 

But I am concerned about how much the Chelsea experience has affected him, and whether his motivation is there. If it is, would prefer him for the role over all the candidates except Corberan who is the standout for me. 

Great book, would encourage anyone here to read it.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, deep blue said:

From reports I've read there must be question marks about Pearson's suitability because of his health problems.  Also, he performed best alongside Shakey & Walsh so would have to be able to bring in some v astute adjutant choices. My feeling is that he would make a brilliant DOF but I don't see that position becoming vacant any time soon.

I have limited knowledge of the present alleged candidates but am not enamoured with Potter as I think it's time to move on from the sterile passing approach, and more than anything we need a manager who is astute and flexible in his game management, and someone who can get the best out of our talented youth players.

For those reasons I would be reasonably happy with Cooper, although some of the other touted options look a little more exciting. (but definitely not OGS).

I’m not convinced why people think Cooper is flexible? He played pretty much the same formation all the time for Forest once he realised 3 at the back didn’t work. His main tactic was to get the ball to Johnson and hope for the best. They were never convincing and their crowd got them through due to being first year up. Even when they beat us we should have been out of sight if Barnes could have finished twice. The board eventually got rid when it was apparent it wasn’t working for a second year (only fan power kept him there and was for what he did in getting them rather then PL form). 

2 away wins in 1 and a half seasons speaks for itself. 

as for youth, he didn’t really get them involved and even his younger signings like Williams and Hudson-Odoi only excelled once he had gone. 

• Like 1

I honestly think with regard to where City are at the moment either Potter or Cooper would be fine. Certainly there are a lot worse options we've been linked with. 

I'm still a Corberan man myself though.

• Like 3