Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Happy Fox

Managerial Replacements

9 hours ago, Dan LCFC said:

Rodgers let in 5 to that. ****ing hell man.

That was the day I knew we were down - Sept 4th 2022 I think it was. It was one of the few occasions where I've been totally embarrassed by a Leicester performance. 

The game spoilt a great day in Brighton and Hove 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, ClaphamFox said:

Yep, I'd prefer Corberan to any of the other names mentioned. Let's just pony up the £4m or whatever and get him. 

Given our financial state, it feels an irresponsible use of £4m (Which we don't have), when there's at least two perfectly adequate candidates available for free.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Babylon said:

He also took over a team that had been in the league two years already, he didn't get them promoted. In his three years, they finished 15th, 16th and then obviously, the standout season being 9th. 

Agreed, I can't see why people think potter is another level to Cooper. Much of a muchness in my eyes. 

Like many, I'd prefer neither of them, but Potter isn't as good as people think he is

9 minutes ago, daddylonglegs said:

Given our financial state, it feels an irresponsible use of £4m (Which we don't have), when there's at least two perfectly adequate candidates available for free.

Wrong on so many levels. First, we will absolutely have £4m to spend on a new manager, although it will probably need to be booked into next year's accounts. Second, which two 'perfectly adequate' candidates are actually available? And third, this is one of the most important managerial appointments in our history - do you really want to aim for 'adequate' and free rather than pay for somebody who's actually good? That there's crazy talk, daddy.

Edited by ClaphamFox
  • Like 4

2 minutes ago, daddylonglegs said:

If the club think that Corberan is the right appointment, then foregoing because of the £4m fee would be incredibly short-sighted. And we CAN pay the fee, we aren't penniless, our problems are to do with complying with non-sensical rules

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Babylon said:

He also took over a team that had been in the league two years already, he didn't get them promoted. In his three years, they finished 15th, 16th and then obviously, the standout season being 9th. 

Which coincided with their highest points and goals in the "PL era". 

He improved Brighton every year. He especially improved them defensively. In Hughton's last season Brighton conceded 60 goals, and in Potter's last (full) season Brighton conceded 44. 

I've always seen Potter as a "builder" and people have been asking for one of them since Pearson left.

I wouldn't say we are in a position to turn our noses up at Graham Potter. We need someone to keep us in the league, first and foremost, which I have no doubt Potter would do.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Fox92 said:

He improved Brighton every year. He especially improved them defensively. In Hughton's last season Brighton conceded 60 goals, and in Potter's last (full) season Brighton conceded 44. 

I've always seen Potter as a "builder" and people have been asking for one of them since Pearson left.

I wouldn't say we are in a position to turn our noses up at Graham Potter. We need someone to keep us in the league, first and foremost, which I have no doubt Potter would do.

Potter had an incredibly well ran club behind him with qualified people in important football touching roles. 

Appreciate the same shit set-up we've got would apply to all managers but I don't think Potter would be as successful here due to the much inferior DOF and the fact our analytics department seems to have lost key people. 

2 minutes ago, Lako42 said:

Potter had an incredibly well ran club behind him with qualified people in important football touching roles. 

Appreciate the same shit set-up we've got would apply to all managers but I don't think Potter would be as successful here due to the much inferior DOF and the fact our analytics department seems to have lost key people. 

Brighton were/are well run but that doesn't define the manager's success. They under performed this season for starters. If being a well run club made the manager's job easy then anyone could do it.

7 minutes ago, Fox92 said:

I’m not turning my nose up at him, I’d be fine with either to be honest. Potter would probably be a preferred choice just about.

Football is a weird beast, sometimes it works for people, sometimes it doesn’t. Ive given up thinking too much about it after Ranieri, who nobody wanted, won us the league ha. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, ClaphamFox said:

Wrong on so many levels. First, we will absolutely have £4m to spend on a new manager, although it will probably need to be booked into next year's accounts. Second, which two 'perfectly adequate' candidates are actually available? And third, this is one of the most important managerial appointments in our history - do you really want to aim for 'adequate' and free rather than pay for somebody who's actually good? That's crazy talk, daddy.

"Wrong on so many levels" goodness me! 

The two perfectly adequate candidates are Cooper & Potter. (I'd think that was obvious for someone as clever as you)

In terms of your point on 'adequate' over 'good', I'm unsure how you reach the conclusion that Corberan fits into the latter description with his CV over the other two. Potter did a brilliant job at Brighton & I'm not judging any manager under the Boehly administration at Chelsea, it's an absolute cesspit there. Cooper also has a good record at keeping teams in the league, as well as getting Forest promoted & a good record at Swansea/Eng juniors.

FWIW I think Corberan would be a good appointment too, I just think the idea of paying for a manager when there are (IMO) equally strong options available without compensation is silly.  

3 minutes ago, Lako42 said:

A good friend of mine supports Swansea. I texted him over the weekend for his thoughts on Potter vs Cooper. His answer? "Potter would have been brilliant but he fell out with the owners very quickly and he wanted out. The football under Cooper was terrible but he got results when it mattered."

If it is to be Potter - and I don't think it will be - I hope the club is honest with him from the start about our situation. It doesn't sound like he would stick around if he felt he was misled in any way.

10 minutes ago, Fox92 said:

Brighton were/are well run but that doesn't define the manager's success. They under performed this season for starters. If being a well run club made the manager's job easy then anyone could do it.

It doesn't define it and it doesn't make it easy. 

It makes it easier and increases the likelihood of success imo. 

It's all irrelevant as he wont come here anyway  

Edited by Lako42

28 minutes ago, daddylonglegs said:

Feel like Potter and Cooper would want a lot higher wages, and they'd probably demand big signing on fees - agents have made sure that bringing in free transfers isn't as cheap as it used to be. Not saying it would be cheaper to pay £4m for Corberan, but I think by the time you take into account the differences in wages etc, it might not be as much of a gulf as you think,

• Like 2

1 minute ago, ClaphamFox said:

I don't think Potter is really available, despite the club's obvious interest in him. I suspect he wants to England job & has a reasonable chance of getting it as I don't think Southgate will stay beyond this summer.

Is Cooper adequate? I'm not so sure. He kept Forest up because they were able to generate an atmosphere at the City Ground that created a significant home advantage. Away from home - when his tactical acumen was really tested - they were horrific. I'm not at all convinced by him.

I think Corberan has done a very good job at West Brom and performed a near-miracle at Huddersfield. I've also been influenced by the analysis of his tactics by Dominic Wells on the WYS podcast last week. It sounds like he has the same basic philosophy as Maresca but is more pragmatic and willing to change things when they're not working. Sounds ideal for us. If the club also believes Corberan is the best man for the job, I hope they go for him rather than save money by choosing a second or third choice.

Thanks Dom , thought you lived local not Clapham 

• Haha 1

I love looking at the odds and then seeing all the bullshit that gets written in the papers and online.

I think it would be funny to pick a random person, who would never be in contention for the job and then, all ask the bookies for the odds. Place a couple of quid bets here and there and then watch the odds tumble. With the manager market it really doesn’t take a big bet to bring the odds right down.

So if you’re bored today, contact your local bookie and ask for the odds on Robbie Savage becoming the next LCFC manager, tell them you’ve had a tip.

If you’ve got a couple of quid to throw away for giggles put it on and see what happens to the odds

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Lako42 said:

It doesn't define it and it doesn't make it easy. 

It makes it easier and increases the likelihood of success imo. 

It's all irrelevant as he wont come here anyway  

Yeah, I don't think he would want to work with Rudkin personally.

In my humble opinion it doesn’t matter who we get as the bigger question is will there even be a premier league as we know it to play in? As I see it the whole pack of cards is starting to fall.