Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Happy Fox

Managerial Replacements

4 hours ago, HankMarvin said:

Although people judge some poor league finishes in previous posts.

The season they finished 16th their xPTS had them in 5th

The following year they finished 6th.

(By the same token the season we finished 8th our xPTS had us 15th

The following season we finished 18th and were relegated)

This.

simpletons will look at league finishes in a vacuum.

1 hour ago, Tanya said:

This is absolutely true.

Once you are relegated the only thing that matters is re-establishing yourself as a Pream league team. Id jump at 17th, 15th then 13th in the next three years.

The issue is, in two of those seasons they got 41 points. So depending on what points deduction we end up with and the number of points 18th end up on, it might not be enough.

When I considered applicants for a post I wanted to be satisfied in  respect of the following questions:

1.  Can you do the job?

2.  Will you love the job?

3.  Will you fit in?

Provided I was satisfied as to the competency of an individual and that they would not disrupt my team in a bad way then their enthusiasm for the role was a key factor.  Someone who really wanted it and was willing to give it body and soul was likely to be more effective than someone who was ambivalent.  I want the next City manager to be someone who really, really wants to be the next City manager.

• Like 4

On 11/06/2024 at 22:52, VLC86 said:

It’s approaching 3am in a nightclub, is he going to grab a fatty or just settle down for an evening with the Kleenex? I know which I’d do.

Any port in the storm and all that:sweating:...

I suspect majority will be very happy with Potter - including me if it happens- plenty still being wary and not getting their hopes up as don’t want to be disappointed which is understandable I guess - if this gets over the line there will be a huge swell of positivity towards the appointment and people will get excited by it - it would be a real coup and buzz for the new season - he is by far the best we could get in our current situation - I for one think he would do a great job and we would stand every chance of having a real go at staying up 

• Like 3

Just now, fox_up_north said:

If it actually is Potter, it's a better appointment than I would have expected. Thought we'd be kryptonite to anyone half decent. 

I think this may be the case - I'll be extremely surprised if we get Potter - we won't be able to give him the assurances required i.e no points deduction, war chest for players etc 

2 hours ago, Crinklyfox said:

When I considered applicants for a post I wanted to be satisfied in  respect of the following questions:

1.  Can you do the job?

2.  Will you love the job?

3.  Will you fit in?

Provided I was satisfied as to the competency of an individual and that they would not disrupt my team in a bad way then their enthusiasm for the role was a key factor.  Someone who really wanted it and was willing to give it body and soul was likely to be more effective than someone who was ambivalent.  I want the next City manager to be someone who really, really wants to be the next City manager.

What kind role were you recruiting for? I'm currently recruiting now and if somebody was 'willing to give body and soul' that would tell they're not a good fit. Obviously want somebody enthusiastic, hard working and committed but it's also vitally important that they realise this is just a job and that attitude will be incredibly detrimental to their actual performance.

But I completely agree with the principle for appointing a football manager since it's an absolute privilege. Maybe I'd twist the love of the job to will you love the challenge in our situation.

18 minutes ago, dmayne7 said:

What kind role were you recruiting for? I'm currently recruiting now and if somebody was 'willing to give body and soul' that would tell they're not a good fit. Obviously want somebody enthusiastic, hard working and committed but it's also vitally important that they realise this is just a job and that attitude will be incredibly detrimental to their actual performance.

But I completely agree with the principle for appointing a football manager since it's an absolute privilege. Maybe I'd twist the love of the job to will you love the challenge in our situation.

I guess there’s a difference between ‘giving body and soul’ vs. Enjoying the role enough to stay motivated - that’s an important factor or else you’ll be recruiting again in 6 months. 

17 minutes ago, dmayne7 said:

I managed a team in an engineering company,  roles ranged from inspectors to project managers.  Perhaps my choice of words was not as good as yours but I wanted to make the point that someone committed to the role was greatly preferable to those with a less positive attitude.  There were times when I needed some of my team to go over and above the norm for the role and having commitment really helped.

Don't mind Potter or Corberan. 

For me there's a balance to be struck - getting the right person in but also getting someone in moderately quickly to give them time with the squad and any potential transfers in/out. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, ClaphamFox said:

I'd only really be happy with somebody who grew up on the same street as me in Birstall, though I wouldn't object to somebody from another part of the village. I'm not parochial, though  - at a push I'd even accept somebody from Thurcaston, Rothley or Wanlip. 

Monarch Close then Harrowgate Drive for me, shall I apply for the job? 🤣

• Haha 1

Not the biggest fan of Potter and would personally prefer Corberan

But I can still see why getting Potter would be seen as a “big” appointment for the club and when he is obviously picking his next job carefully

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

I struggle to align to this way of thinking. Potter kept Brighton up for 3 seasons and was part of a slowly well built setup but he's hugely flopped at Chelsea (not the only one).

His time at Swansea was mediocre, trumped by Cooper who replaced him and trumped by Corberan in the work he's done with an arm tied behind his back at both Huddersfield and West Brom.

I'd say Potter's got an inflated reputation, some of it warranted but I don't think the gap in risk is that obvious.

Have to agree that Potter is overhyped and will arrive with such high expectations that it could probably hinder his progress. Maybe a good Championship Manager would be more enthusiastic to prove himself.

I'd be happy with Corberan or Potter.

I do think Potter's achievements are slightly overrated though. He was good at Brighton, but not amazing - I certainly don't think he's too good for us. 

• Like 1