Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Happy Fox

Managerial Replacements

25 minutes ago, bald reynard said:

Terzic was Assistant to Slaven Bilic at West Ham (and did his Coaching course with the FA), so has English Prem experience. And of course a great record at Dortmund. Problem is, that could well mean he would be 'beyond' us!

It wasn’t great. Great to get to the Champions League final yes but they finished 5th last season in the Bundesliga, their worst for some time. They’ve only had one lower finish in the last 15-years since before Klopp took them over.

A fine second in the first season yes, but after a good start losing out on the title in a way that would blow the minds of the many quick to throw the bottle job term around.

I don’t think Dortmund fans are disappointed he’s going.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, smudger63 said:

Playing devil's advocate, I suppose it could be said that Cooper benefited from the squad and style of football that Potter had put together at Swansea, in much the way that De Zerbi said it had helped him on the way he wanted to play when he took over at Brighton.

Just  a different point of view, from a different angle.

Who ever we end up with, there are no guarantees, there never are with new managers and signings.

Personally I would be OK with Corbaran or Potter.

Rather avoid Cooper though.

See your angle bit harsh on Cooper he got a not great Swansea team into the play offs and took over a shambles at Forest and got them from bottom to promoted in very short time and managed to do a good job in the Premier job with a shambles behind the scenes and a  very hot headed owner ! You could say the same about Ranieri taking over an easy job from Pearson but Pearson wouldnt have won the league he would never have given Mahrez so.much freedom for a start !

Edited by ADAMSKI97
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, smudger63 said:

Playing devil's advocate, I suppose it could be said that Cooper benefited from the squad and style of football that Potter had put together at Swansea, in much the way that De Zerbi said it had helped him on the way he wanted to play when he took over at Brighton.

Just  a different point of view, from a different angle.

Who ever we end up with, there are no guarantees, there never are with new managers and signings.

Personally I would be OK with Corbaran or Potter.

Rather avoid Cooper though.

Cooper got into the playoffs twice with Swansea, then went on to do the same and win them with Forest who were in disarray before he came. I would argue that his success was unlikely to be down to Potter due to his consistency across both clubs. 

Out of the three I would prefer Coberan > Cooper > Potter. I have a bad feeling that Potter would be a disaster here, he's very much a possession for possession's sake manager, more so than Maresca. He also seems to have climbed the ranks of English football through reputation and playing 'the right way' rather than performing well at the clubs he has been at.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, indierich06 said:

31% is a fairly decent win rate tbh - especially as this was before Brighton were really thought of as a 'good' premier league club - if you look back at their squad back in 19/20, there were some good players, and players with potential, but they were hardly world beaters back then.

His first couple of seasons were basically identical, but he improved in his third season, and his fourth was obviously cut short after he moved to Chelsea, but they were looking even better then. 

I'd be fairly pleased if we got him - I think anyone is going to have a bit of a job on this season, but if you can look beyond that then there's potential to do well with this club.

He will need to hit the ground running rather than prove his worth over a long period of time. He's not really done that in England, he's a builder.

But if we get 41 points next season, like he did in his 1st 2 seasons at Brighton then there's a good chance we are immediately back in the Championship. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, when_you're_smiling said:

It wasn’t great. Great to get to the Champions League final yes but they finished 5th last season in the Bundesliga, their worst for some time. They’ve only had one lower finish in the last 15-years since before Klopp took them over.

They finished 7th in 14/15

3 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

He will need to hit the ground running rather than prove his worth over a long period of time. He's not really done that in England, he's a builder.

But if we get 41 points next season, like he did in his 1st 2 seasons at Brighton then there's a good chance we are immediately back in the Championship. 

Everton finished on 40 this season, a full 14pts above the drop zone. We're unlikely to have three teams that bad in the league this season, but 40 is not necessarily the magic number.

He kept them in the league and built on that in the coming seasons, and for me that's all we really need at the minute.

Edited by indierich06

1 hour ago, Bluearmyfox28 said:

I actually disagree with this part Strider. I’ve been doing some research this morning on Potter as it seems inevitable that if Potter wants the job then it is his.

Whilst in terms of style of play, out of all the candidates Potter is the clear choice from our shortlist with regards to continuing the brand built by Enzo as there are a lot of similarities but Potter puts more emphasis on defensive stability which some may argue is better for the step up in divisions. 

However, the way Potter sets up from a formation and player personnel perspective has a huge emphasis on areas of play that I think we are at our weakest and would play away from our current squads strengths.

Potter sets out in simple terms in a 5-3-2 allowing them to be more defensively sound off the ball and allowing them to create a low block when the initial press does not work compared to Enzo’s 4-1-4-1. Whilst on the ball the wing backs push up, creating a 3-4-2-1 or a 3-2-5. Straight away the use of wing backs and not wingers concerns me massively for obvious reasons within our squad, However, most would argue it is a better structure for the step up to the Premier League.

He also likes to play with 2 players behind the striker, focusing on the half spaces between a traditional No.10 and a winger. From what I have seen he prefers to use inverted wingers in these roles, which again concerns me as I personally don’t believe this is an area that Mavididi or Fatawu could play as they aren’t players who work in tight spaces and instead prefer to have space to run into.

Finally, he likes to play with two holding midfielders. One who’s duty is to drop short and recieve the ball (perfect for Winks) and the other being a more progressive passer into the attacking players, something I don’t believe we have in our squad, with this position majorly lacking in depth.

Overall, if Potter is appointed I struggle to see the likes of Mavididi and Fatawu fitting in his style of play unless they are converted into attacking wingbacks. But I also acknowledge for the likes of Winks, Hermansen and Vestegaard, Potter’s style of play accommodates them.

Potter’s style is a less risky and more defensively sounded style of play compared to Enzo’s which I am all for, I just don’t believe we have the personnel to accommodate this without investment in key areas. But whether it be Corberan or Potter, both will require investment in the fullback, defensive midfield and attacking midfield positions. Corberan’s use of wingers is the reason he’s my first choice as I feel this is our strongest asset to our club.

For anyone interested here’s a good video that probably best breaks down Potter’s style:

Rudkin, hire this man! (@Bluearmyfox28)

Edited by StriderHiryu
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, indierich06 said:

Everton finished on 40 this season, a full 14pts above the drop zone. We're unlikely to have three teams that bad in the league this season, but 40 is not necessarily the magic number.

He kept them in the league and built on that in the coming seasons, and for me that's all we really need at the minute.

the 3 teams that came up were the ones in the drop zone with points in the 20s,  . We will be one of the teams coming up. Everton being a well established Premier league team. Its very very unlikely an established prem team will score any less than 40 points.. it could well be that we would need to  get 50 points and then let the points deduction do its thing to make sure we still stay up..

Edited by MPH

22 minutes ago, MPH said:

the 3 teams that came up were the ones in the drop zone with points in the 20s,  . We will be one of the teams coming up. Everton being a well established Premier league team. Its very very unlikely an established prem team will score any less than 40 points.. it could well be that we would need to  get 50 points and then let the points deduction do its thing to make sure we still stay up..

The year we went down us and Southampton were established and Leeds were in their third season. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Tommy Fresh said:

The year we went down us and Southampton were established and Leeds were in their third season. 

I think a couple of the more established teams might struggle this year.

Fulham will be weaker and if Brentford lose Toney they might be down there. Everton look like losing Branthwaite and rumours of DCL, Onana etc leaving. Add Forest, Ipswich and Southampton to the mix and it could get tight down the bottom. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, MPH said:

Brentford and Forest are both established Prem teams and they got 39 and 32pts respectively. My only point here is that it's not a given that we need 40 (or the equivalent of 48 - whatever the deduction is) to stay up. Let's set ourselves a target to aim for by all means, but it's not set in stone. We're not the only team in this league with problems, we probably won't be the only team finishing the season with a points deduction to be honest.

1 minute ago, Jazzy_Jeff said:

I think a couple of the more established teams might struggle this year.

Fulham will be weaker and if Brentford lose Toney they might be down there. Everton look like losing Branthwaite and rumours of DCL, Onana etc leaving. Add Forest, Ipswich and Southampton to the mix and it could get tight down the bottom. 

Palace too if they lose Wharton, Eze and Olise.

5 hours ago, Happy Fox said:

I feel Potter’s impact will be like MON imo , a steady couple of top half finishes winning a league cup. That would be grand!

Bout time we had another decent go at the league cup tbf 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, ClaphamFox said:

I'd only really be happy with somebody who grew up on the same street as me in Birstall, though I wouldn't object to somebody from another part of the village. I'm not parochial, though  - at a push I'd even accept somebody from Thurcaston, Rothley or Wanlip. 

spot on mate - we want local produce!!

1 hour ago, honeybradger said:

Cooper got into the playoffs twice with Swansea, then went on to do the same and win them with Forest who were in disarray before he came. I would argue that his success was unlikely to be down to Potter due to his consistency across both clubs. 

Out of the three I would prefer Coberan > Cooper > Potter. I have a bad feeling that Potter would be a disaster here, he's very much a possession for possession's sake manager, more so than Maresca. He also seems to have climbed the ranks of English football through reputation and playing 'the right way' rather than performing well at the clubs he has been at.

I know his attire and haircuts have been a bit of a meme on here. But honestly, I want a manager who is all consumed by the game and the club. If you are worried about what your hair looks like or what clobber you're wearing, you are wasting precious time.

Give me a Steve Jobs / Nigel Peason type character. A wardrobe that's full of identical tracksuits and trainers. 

5 hours ago, dr.o.ball said:

Have to agree that Potter is overhyped and will arrive with such high expectations that it could probably hinder his progress. Maybe a good Championship Manager would be more enthusiastic to prove himself.

So you don’t think Potter would want to prove himself after what happened at Chelsea? If he was hired here and didn’t do well his chances of becoming a PL manager for his next job are almost 0.

1 hour ago, ADAMSKI97 said:

See your angle bit harsh on Cooper he got a not great Swansea team into the play offs and took over a shambles at Forest and got them from bottom to promoted in very short time and managed to do a good job in the Premier job with a shambles behind the scenes and a  very hot headed owner ! You could say the same about Ranieri taking over an easy job from Pearson but Pearson wouldnt have won the league he would never have given Mahrez so.much freedom for a start !

Very true 👍 

1 hour ago, honeybradger said:

It's just my personal feelings and opinion, but I hated the way Notts Forest played their football under Cooper.

Even in the play off semi final and final, he had his players going down feigning injury to waste time when it suited, and both in one of the semi finals against Sheff Utd and in the final, he had a goalkeeper go down with cramp on about 86 minutes.

He/they took that same way of cheating, because that's what it amounts too, into the Premier League too, and while I know that we have been accused of being too nice, and not playing the dark arts, I just don't want to watch my football club play in that manner, although i appreciate that for many fans, it will be whatever it takes to win is fine by them.

• Like 3