Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Happy Fox

Managerial Replacements

13 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

We took a chance on a highly rated, well thought of up and coming coach with zero relevant experience but a number of high profile recommendations based on his potential.

So I was right, a total punt. Nobody knew how it would turn out,  take away your hindsight and you wouldn’t have been saying that at the time. 

13 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

This is recruiting a bargain basement option who has been in senior management for five years and shown very little of significance other than a six month purple patch that got Forest in the playoffs.

And kept them up, when up against it from the start. 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, boosmanana said:

We as a fanbase didn't 100% back our manager when we were top of the league last season whilst trying to play decent football, so I can't see us backing a shit manager whilst bottom of the league on - points 😂 

The negative energy on the fanbase is really quite toxic. It deserves the opposite of success. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Ric Flair said:

This evokes a real mix of emotions and confusion.

I'm no fan of Graham Potter, he might have a bit more kudos in the PL than Cooper after his slow progression of Brighton really took shape after 3 years but in the first 2 years it wasn't much different in points and general output than what Cooper did under chaotic circumstances at Forest.

We need somebody to hit the ground running and perhaps Cooper has more in his track record in that regard, he immediately improved Swansea from Potter in league position and at Forest his run to promotion was ridiculous.

But there's a major disconnect with the type of manager Cooper appears to be and what our club seemingly crave or certainly craved when they got Enzo and what we've been told they were looking for in a replacement.

I'm all for us being pragmatic where required next season, but that's not an excuse for being dog shit and not playing any football.

I like Cooper's track record at England youth level and his development of young players and academy players at both Swansea and Forest. That has to be the priority for me to get on board with this appointment. I actually would rather see the development of Alves, Braybrooke, Nelson, Jake Evans etc than trying to stay up just for the sake of it.

I hope he is aligned with our recruitment in the types of players that he can utilise and there's a clear strategy in our financial position with the squad. Wages need to be cut and this squad rebuilt with young talent on sensible salaries, it eases the burden on the necessity of us being a Premier League club for the sake of it.

A fair post Ric.

• Like 1

This thread is box office!

FWIW, my attempt at a balanced post, yes, on FoxesTalk.

I would have preferred Corberan, wouldn't have been too bothered if it was Potter, at least there would be a clear philosophy there and we would be trying to continue playing the same style of football. We have instead seemingly opted for Steve Cooper, who, of his own admission wants to play attractive attacking football. He did play that way in the Championship, which is what got Forest promoted, scoring an impressive 73 goals in the process (and only conceding 40), but when he tried that same style in the Premier League he came unstuck and realised against his better wishes he had to play a more pragmatic low block style.

I assume he alluded to this point heavily in his interview, waxing lyrical about the players we (currently) have at our disposal allowing this more attacking brand of 'Cooperball'. The issue we have is whether the players will buy into his ideas. Best case scenario, all the players pull in the same direction and we see the quick, attacking football we (and he) yearn for, worse case scenario, we start the season without the majority of our attacking players and end up seeing a low block most weeks. The fact we have hired someone who in his best season has a 1.0ppg average in the Premier League (therefore not enough to keep us up) means he must have spoken a good game., and assuming the latest Guardian article is correct in that Potter rejected us late on in negotiations and we would be going for Potter, and Corberan only if by a miracle even Cooper turned us down, then my only question would be why we chose Cooper over Corberan as our next best option?

Still, we've seen this so many times, managers come and go and we, as fans, can never predict how their tenures will pan out. When Ranieri was first touted as a 1000-1 shot of managing Leicester in the 2015/16 season the majority of us (myself included) were asking for anyone else. Let's hope this ends in a similar vein and 17th place isn't yet out of our grasp.

How far we've fallen. I know, as a club, we're not exactly in a great place at the moment, but Cooper is such an underwhelming appointment (my opinion). Out of the options I wanted Potter, or if not Potter then someone I could get at least somewhat excited about, perhaps a younger coach, even Corberán. To end up with Cooper just feels so underwhelming.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Foxmeister said:

I've still not forgiven his dad for sending off Jimmy Willis.

Surely the last ever “utility” player was Jimmy

How far we have fallen, Cooper with a win rate of 22% in the PL.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Babylon said:

you wouldn’t have been saying that at the time. 

I was pretty excited and optimistic about Maresca. He was coming in with good pedigree and good recommendations. If Cooper had been working with Pep Guardiola and Manuel Pelligrini and was highly regarded by both then I'd be a lot more excited.

I get that you think some of the reactions on here might be a bit melodramatic - it's FoxesTalk after all - and you do tend to get yourself a bit dug-in and entrenched when these arguments turn in to FT vs. Babylon but you've actually lost the wood for the trees if you genuinely don't think Enzo was a more exciting and promising appointment than Cooper.

Even we don't seem to actually have wanted Cooper, we've spent a month looking around for better options and appear to have circled back because we're drawing blanks. Meanwhile we went chasing Maresca back when we were still in the Premier League and went straight in for him when we went down.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, honeybradger said:

Potter's win ratio for Brighton in his first 2 seasons was 24%, it only started to get better in his 3rd season in the PL. Yet for some reason our fans are creaming themselves over Potter. 

For me staying up in the PL with that disaster of a squad he had at Forest was an achievement and not something to bash him with.

Personal think they are both bang average, I'd rather give someone else a go who may or may not have a higher ceiling.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

This evokes a real mix of emotions and confusion.

I'm no fan of Graham Potter, he might have a bit more kudos in the PL than Cooper after his slow progression of Brighton really took shape after 3 years but in the first 2 years it wasn't much different in points and general output than what Cooper did under chaotic circumstances at Forest.

We need somebody to hit the ground running and perhaps Cooper has more in his track record in that regard, he immediately improved Swansea from Potter in league position and at Forest his run to promotion was ridiculous.

But there's a major disconnect with the type of manager Cooper appears to be and what our club seemingly crave or certainly craved when they got Enzo and what we've been told they were looking for in a replacement.

I'm all for us being pragmatic where required next season, but that's not an excuse for being dog shit and not playing any football.

I like Cooper's track record at England youth level and his development of young players and academy players at both Swansea and Forest. That has to be the priority for me to get on board with this appointment. I actually would rather see the development of Alves, Braybrooke, Nelson, Jake Evans etc than trying to stay up just for the sake of it.

I hope he is aligned with our recruitment in the types of players that he can utilise and there's a clear strategy in our financial position with the squad. Wages need to be cut and this squad rebuilt with young talent on sensible salaries, it eases the burden on the necessity of us being a Premier League club for the sake of it.

Spot on Ric. 

On paper his appointment is very middle of the road, could be better, could be worse. 

As I said to you the other week, a lot of fans seem to disregard his great history of developing youth, which should be seen as the biggest positive to come out of his appointment. 

I really hope he sticks to his strengths and we back him in a certain manner. 

I want to see a squad filled with British talent, where we look at it and think, these players can be our future for the next 4-5 years, or some of these players will leave in 1-2 seasons for serious profit. 

If we don’t go down that road, then it will be extremely difficult to be optimistic. 

• Like 3