Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Happy Fox

Managerial Replacements

Not sure if his name has been mentioned in the previous 51 pages but would anyone take a punt on Cesc Fabregas as next manager? Just got Como promoted to Serie A. Might be an interesting appointment.

5 minutes ago, Foxdiamond said:

What is the general feeling for Mark Robins. A Leicester connection. Seems to have done well with Coventry 

I quite like the look of him. Done well at cov. Plus it would really p*ss them off if he quit to come here

• Like 2

Made a point a few weeks ago that it would be tough to convince good players to join until we know what we are up against in terms of the points deduction. Now the same applies with a new manager too. The PL really do have us by the balls. It's going to have to be someone who doesn't mind the potential risk of having a relegation on their CV - and that probably rules out the possibility of an established name.

8 minutes ago, Sol thewall Bamba said:

His Luton side conceded 85 goals, 30 more than us under Pearson in 2014/15, including losing a game they were winning 3-0 at half time. Not sure he's the one to shore up a defense!

Hence my point about the defence being my worry - could bring a defensive coach in. All wrapped up there are probably better targets.

We are going to concede a fair amount in the premier league that is a given, not too worried in that respect as long as we win / draw more games than we lose.

Someone like Moyes would be a coup for us.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Winstonthedog said:

How about a different idea .... put an advert in the Mercury and see who applies 

No doubt someone has already wrote in saying they did really well playing football manager 23/24

When you weigh up the situation we find ourselves in, I’m starting to tip towards a manager who has history with working in adverse conditions. 

With a points deduction looming, with a potentially low budget at our disposal, and a strong possibility of heading straight back down, we need someone who has some substance of working in difficulties, someone who has had solid success in the Championship, or ideally a mixture of both. 

Therefore you have to look towards the likes of Corberan, Robins, Rosenior, Cooper, Carrick and Edwards. 

Of those I’ve listed, I’d probably side more towards Corberan or Edwards. 

Corberan did an unbelievable job at Huddersfield, with a squad that was filled with free transfers. He then went into a West Brom job, with owners that didn’t really want to invest, and built them into a play-off team. West Brom do have new ownership now, so would it be possible to prise Corberan away, when West Brom now look in a more healthy position 🤔

As for Edwards he is used to working with a small budget. The way he’s built a chemistry at Luton is something that should be admired. That togetherness and backs to the wall mentality, is something that we could do with, especially with the situation we’re going to find ourselves in. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, BenTheFox said:

Their away game at Southampton was bad, I'll give you that. Southampton do ultimately have much better players than West Brom though, it has to be said.

I'm being realistic. We won't be able to take a manager from another premier league club. In terms of premier league experience, Potter won't come to us in our current predicament. Even if he did, I think he'd relegate us. Where he's done well in the past, he's had time to build. I'd actually take Moyes at this point. He's experienced and he's quite a shrewd operator in the transfer market. However, I don't think the club will go for him. It's clear they want a modern possession-based manager. 

What other viable options are there with premier league experience? Gerard? No thanks. Lampard? No thanks. Steve Cooper? Could do worse but his football towards the end at Forest was hideous. Rob Edwards? Not convinced. 

So we agree really, I want Moyes but also agree with you they probably wont go for him.

This to me if it happens again shows the leadership of the club dont have a football brain, they putting ideology ahead of practicality.

5 minutes ago, Chrysalis said:

So we agree really, I want Moyes but also agree with you they probably wont go for him.

This to me if it happens again shows the leadership of the club dont have a football brain, they putting ideology ahead of practicality.

Yet of the three clubs promoted, two are possession heavy clubs, the third an outlier. 

The direction of travel in football is just one you are not a fan of I think, and to be honest, it's not hard to see why. 

Admittedly Burnley crashed and burned with this approach, so perhaps there is hope! 

(Even if Bayern Munich couldn't see it) 

2 hours ago, HankMarvin said:

It’s not the same Ajax though, they hasn’t finished lower than 3rd in 20 years 

2 seasons now without Champions league revenue 

Trust me I know

I’ve been laugh for months that Van’t Schip, who couldn’t manage my Melbourne boys for years, ended up at the helm - and did okay!

But it’s still Ajax!

Steve Cooper for me. He did a great job within the England Youth set-up, and would probably still have enough contact with England to persuade young players aged 18-23 with something to prove to join.

He did a great job at Forest. Bottom of the Champ when he joined, they're certainly no better off without him. He also had to mould a team out of 25 new players when they went up, many of whom he didn't want. Not too dissimilar to what he'd need to do here.

With his coaching expertise, he has the set up here to really make a difference. It would really annoy Forest as well if he came here and was a success.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, kingfox said:

When you weigh up the situation we find ourselves in, I’m starting to tip towards a manager who has history with working in adverse conditions. 

With a points deduction looming, with a potentially low budget at our disposal, and a strong possibility of heading straight back down, we need someone who has some substance of working in difficulties, someone who has had solid success in the Championship, or ideally a mixture of both. 

Therefore you have to look towards the likes of Corberan, Robins, Rosenior, Cooper, Carrick and Edwards. 

Of those I’ve listed, I’d probably side more towards Corberan or Edwards. 

Corberan did an unbelievable job at Huddersfield, with a squad that was filled with free transfers. He then went into a West Brom job, with owners that didn’t really want to invest, and built them into a play-off team. West Brom do have new ownership now, so would it be possible to prise Corberan away, when West Brom now look in a more healthy position 🤔

As for Edwards he is used to working with a small budget. The way he’s built a chemistry at Luton is something that should be admired. That togetherness and backs to the wall mentality, is something that we could do with, especially with the situation we’re going to find ourselves in. 

Edwards should be nowhere near. Sorry. He did well getting Luton up (but didn't actually start the season there remember, took their squad over) but they've just conceded 85 goals in the Premier League. I'm not sure that's a proven back to the wall job.

Corberan did superb at Huddersfield but I'm sure he ended up walking due to lack of board funding. Bodes well for us!? He then went abroad and got sacked, didn't just move to WBA. Done well with WBA though and I'm not against him. I think he would be a better shout than Edwards.

14 hours ago, HarryDee8 said:

Think we can slip them Danny, kels and rudders, without them knowing?

I’ve already written to them about Rudkin. I reckoned if no one else was going to shift their arse into gear, I would. 

Ive explained all the benefits he could bring them and how I believe he could be had on the cheap - just by turning around a couple of street signs. 

This was a week ago. Chelsea have yet to reply to my email. 

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Foxdiamond said:

What is the general feeling for Mark Robins. A Leicester connection. Seems to have done well with Coventry 

Done a fantastic job overall but personal and potentially controversial opinion: he underachieved last season at Cov in the league with that squad. They have better players than West Brom and Norwich, both finished above them. 

Edited by BenTheFox
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, BenTheFox said:

Done a fantastic job overall but personal and potentially controversial opinion: he underachieved last season at Cov in the league with that squad. They have better players than West Brom and Norwich, both finished above them. 

Pretty poor start, probably a hangover from Wembley to an extent and then the FA Cup run took it out of them. Maybe should have done better but they also have some very average players. That's the championship though, you can underperform a little and finish 10 places lower than you should so all in all, 9th is not a bad finish for them even if they wanted playoffs

19 minutes ago, Fox92 said:

Edwards should be nowhere near. Sorry. He did well getting Luton up (but didn't actually start the season there remember, took their squad over) but they've just conceded 85 goals in the Premier League. I'm not sure that's a proven back to the wall job.

Corberan did superb at Huddersfield but I'm sure he ended up walking due to lack of board funding. Bodes well for us!? He then went abroad and got sacked, didn't just move to WBA. Done well with WBA though and I'm not against him. I think he would be a better shout than Edwards.

I just like the way Edwards presents himself tbf. He has built up a good chemistry at Luton, you get the sense that players enjoy playing under him, you also get the sense that he has good man management, just look how he’s revitalised Ross Barkley for example. I just feel like we could do with someone with those credentials. In their promotion season, of course Nathan Jones laid the foundations, but the style Edwards plays was always going to be a seamless fit, plus he did get them promoted, something which Jones fell short on doing. 

As for Corberan, that’s my doubt on whether he’d join Leicester City. He’s been at two clubs with adverse difficulties, he knows what it takes to work in those situations, plus he’s had decent success in doing so. Would he want to go into a third club though that has similar problems, when now West Brom look in a more healthy position than when he joined them, he may think that he’s better off staying at The Baggies. 

39 minutes ago, Fox92 said:

Worth noting that he only actually managed 5 league games at Olympiacos. In those five games they won two, drew two and lost one. They're probably the biggest club in Greece and it's below par but it's not totally shameful and it's still only five games. 

His overall record at Olympiacos looks worse because they were dreadful in Europe, but their results in the Europa League group stages were still poor that season after he'd left. 

14 hours ago, MPH said:

I feel like we are so short of money right now that we will go for someone who is out of work and that drastically narrows the field down quite  a bit…

I don't think this is true personally, the club would of made some sort of plans to create money whether that be through player sales etc. The compensation for Enzo was unexpected and would not have been accounted for, paying £4-5m for a new staff team would still leave us £5-6m in the profit. I would like to think the club are not stupid, next season is just as vital as the season just been, I can't see them picking a lesser option for the sake of a couple of million, I genuinely think they would rather sell KDH than go that route. 

13 hours ago, themightyfin said:

Yeah we are loaded...so lets go and soend what we want, let's get whoever for whatever and dish out huge contracts and transfer fees while we are at it. 

If you don't think we are watching every penny right now then you have simply been in a coma for a while. 

I can not help but realise you are very negative at the minute Fin, everything okay?

1 minute ago, Bluearmyfox28 said:

I don't think this is true personally, the club would of made some sort of plans to create money whether that be through player sales etc. The compensation for Enzo was unexpected and would not have been accounted for, paying £4-5m for a new staff team would still leave us £5-6m in the profit. I would like to think the club are not stupid, next season is just as vital as the season just been, I can't see them picking a lesser option for the sake of a couple of million, I genuinely think they would rather sell KDH than go that route. 

I can not help but realise you are very negative at the minute Fin, everything okay?

With me yes. With the club? Unfortunately not.