Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Happy Fox

Managerial Replacements

4 minutes ago, BenTheFox said:

It's actually funny how we're all (myself included) very dismissive of Steve Cooper, yet are fawning over Carlos Corberan, who literally lost to Steve Cooper in the play-off final to get promoted to the premier league. Granted, there were two shocking refereeing decisions in that game, but it's still funny. He's also kept a team in the Premier league, something that Corberan hasn't done. 

I suppose the unknown is more appealing to us with Corberan. We don't know  how Corberan's football would fare in the premier league. Cooper's football at the end with Forest was diabolical and even in the season where he kept Forest up, many of their fans felt he was out if his depth at this level from a tactical perspective and that it was pure gusto that got them over the line. 

It doesn't just hinge on one game though does it? 

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, StanSP said:

It doesn't just hinge on one game though does it? 

That's really not the point. It's funny that was your takeaway. The point was that he's achieved two things that Corberan hasn't, getting a team promoted and keeping a team in the Premier League. It's just a funny observation. Even despite that I'd prefer Corberan to Cooper. 

Edited by BenTheFox

1 hour ago, lcfcsnow said:

One positive with Cooper is he's a former England U16 and U17 manager so might bode well for Braybrooke/Alves. No idea if he's promoted youth in his club management though.

Very decent in that regard at Swansea, less so at Forest.

Posted (edited)
30 minutes ago, Chelmofox said:

I'm no expert, but it seems the full backs have an important role (and overlap) and he doesn't do the inverted stuff, so this will keep a lot of our fans happy. Maybe a future for Victor then, although Ricardo worries me if they need to cover a lot of ground. JJ probably will do well if he can stay injury free. Seems like energy in midfield is important so KDH would be important if he stays. Double runner stuff with fullbacks is interesting. Wingers are expected to attack quickly which would probably suit Fatawu, and doesnt seem like they are expected to hug the wing, which could be good for Mavadidi who i felt was good when he was a bit more central.  Seems the DM is a really important role so will need to recruit well. Getting forward quickly seems to feed off our better play when we transitioned up the field quickly rather than slow buildup. Doesn't feel like there is a future for Vesty in this type of system, but Coady and Nelson should be good, especially the latter who is good with the ball and quick, and CD stay deep so no Faes bombing forward. Doesn't seem a natural place for Soumare if he was going to come back. 

Worry about defensive minded midfielders really. Winks is a bit lightweight and better as the recycler, Ndidi has gone, Soumare was crap at that role.  Seems like he favours a single striker who drops deep, but the LW plays a bit more centrally like we saw Enzo experiment with Cannon a few times so when compact it will feel like 2 up top especially with the fullbacks playing advanced roles. 

Seems like a lot to like and maybe makes good use of what we have. All the analysis presumes he won't change his approach for more resources available. Fully expect to be told i understand nothing.

Some great points there. 

JJ at RB and VK at overlapping LB is a delicious thought. Fatawu can tuck in when JJ goes forward. 

Im relishing a.conventional system that plays to our strengths. 

Personally, I'd still.lead with Vesty at the back and look to upgrade on Wout Faes. 

Still think a double pivot of Hamza (energy, snap and recovery runs) and Winks (recycling and positioning) could do a very respectable job. 

Edit. Basically,.I can't wait to.move.on from Enzo's system. I think it's spent. Edit edit. Bizarre view of the night. I'd cash in on Hermansen and go with Stolarcyk. 

Edited by Paninistickers
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, Paninistickers said:

Some great points there. 

JJ at RB and VK at overlapping LB is a delicious thought. Fatawu can tuck in when JJ goes forward. 

Personally, I'd still.lead with Vesty at the back and look to upgrade on Wout Faes. 

Still think a double pivot of Hamza (energy, snap and recovery runs) and Winks (recycling and positioning) could do a very respectable job. 

Edit. Basically,.I can't wait to.move.on from Enzo's system. I think it's spent. Edit edit. Bizarre view of the night. I'd cash in on Hermansen and go with Stolarcyk. 

One thing Enzo’s system has shown us is that Riccy P has many years left in the tank. But not at Rb. He could be very effective, crucial in fact as a conventional CM in the PL. He’s one of our most influential and talented players, keeping him fit and effective is critical. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Paninistickers said:

Some great points there. 

Not to diminish his achievements here, but it really can’t be ignored that Enzo’s style was complemented by a talented team being deployed in lesser division. It is arguably why we ultimately went up. 

I really don’t think in the premier league he would have got away with it, not with this squad. We need a manager who will strike a good balance, understand how to play to the team’s strengths and when to deploy certain tactics. 

I do believe under Maresca we would have been potentially done for next season, his lack of flexibility and inexperience would not have done us any good at all. 

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Mickyblueeyes said:

One thing Enzo’s system has shown us is that Riccy P has many years left in the tank. But not at Rb. He could be very effective, crucial in fact as a conventional CM in the PL. He’s one of our most influential and talented players, keeping him fit and effective is critical. 

Agree. As you point out, not as a RB tho..Centre mid in a two ...or right.attscking  mid (Wilf role) 

1 minute ago, Pliskin said:

Not to diminish his achievements

He did his job. He'll be fondly remembered. Left while the going was.good.

We get 8m for a manager that we probably had a 75% chance of sacking next season

Everyone wins. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Jazzy_Jeff said:

Cooper has a point to prove. Did better at Forest than Nuno did.

One thing I will say about his Forest team is that towards the end of our relegation season he found an extra 10% in his team that we couldn’t find in ours.

If we're looking at the season just gone, then that's simply not true. 

Cooper:

17 league games

3 wins

5 draws

8 defeats

14 points

0.82 ppg

Nuno:

21 league games

6 wins

4 draws

11 defeats

22 points

1.05 ppg

Nuno didn't pull up any trees (no pun intended) but they picked up after he came in. 

1 minute ago, BenTheFox said:

If we're looking at the season just gone, then that's simply not true. 

Cooper:

17 league games

3 wins

5 draws

8 defeats

14 points

0.82 ppg

Nuno:

21 league games

6 wins

4 draws

11 defeats

22 points

1.05 ppg

Nuno didn't pull up any trees (no pun intended) but they picked up after he came in. 

In fact, Nuno has a better points per game ratio than Cooper across both seasons Cooper was in the Premier League. He objectively has done better than Cooper as Forest manager in the premier league. 

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Paninistickers said:

Some great points there. 

I think that there are a large part of the fanbase (I hear it typically more from Enzo supporters who think he’s done an amazing job with an average team) who underrate many of our players imo.
A back 4 of Kristiansen, Coady, a new CB or maybe even Vesty on a 1 year deal, with Ricardo **COULD** be solid under the right system. We are sorted on the wings with those 2 fullbacks overlapping Fatawu and Mavididi, Winks is good enough, If Ndidi stays he could do a half decent job. Mads is a prem keeper already. 
Obviously we massively lack depth, but we have a foundation that could keep us up with the right additions and the right system. 

Edited by cityfanlee23
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, cityfanlee23 said:

I think that there are a large part of the fanbase (typically Enzo supporters) who underrate many of our players imo.
A back 4 of Kristiansen, Coady, a new CB or maybe even Vesty on a 1 year deal, with Ricardo **COULD** be solid under the right system. We are sorted on the wings with those 2 overlapping Fatawu and Mavididi, Winks is good enough, If Ndidi stays he could do a half decent job. Mads is a prem keeper already. 
Obviously we massively lack depth, but we have a foundation that could keep us up with the right additions and the right system. 

Why would Vestergaard entertain a one year deal? 

1 hour ago, kingfox said:

Thought I recognised Neel, he was in my class at Junior School lol 

No way!

If you want to try your hand at this sort of thing, please let me know. I actually think there should be a Foxes Talk one, and the guests could be rotated through a bunch of people. There are some great posters on here and people that offer different viewpoints in eloquent terms. This goes for several people on here! I find it a lot of fun because at the end of the day it's kind of like talking to your mates at the pub, just minus the beers and plus a camera in front of your face lol

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Sly said:

Are we looking at Bielsa, after the COPA America? 

You know what, we're probably going to go down, so we may as well do it in the most chaotic fashion possible. At least none of us would be bored watching it. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Sly said:

He's got a deal to take Uruguay to the next world cup. With the players they have and him in charge, they are real dark horse material. Players like Valverde and Nunez will run and run and they have some serious quality in that squad too.

Cooper is ****ing horrific. If we get that Forest reject anti football goony looki g clown in I might have to throw my ticket in the bin. His football is as repulsive as his goony face. 

1 hour ago, Paninistickers said:

He did his job. He'll be fondly remembered. Left while the going was.good.

We get 8m for a manager that we probably had a 75% chance of sacking next season

Everyone wins. 

Mind you he won’t last at Chelsea I recon they think he’ll bring all pep’s tricks and Knowledge to Stanford sewers & the pondlife scum sucking scumbags will sack him by Christmas when he doesn’t deliver Pep’s Formula of winning & loses 6 in a row !! 

37 minutes ago, Sly said:

To be fair he managed to make Patrick Bamford look like a footballer. Imagine if he could do that with Daka. 

I’m still on the fence with Corberan I think we should go for potter knows how to evolve a team with a low budget and knows how to frustrate the big boys, also needs to get back into football before he’s lost in the managers forgotten wasteland !