Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Happy Fox

Managerial Replacements

3 minutes ago, StriderHiryu said:

He’s my number one pick. Given a points deduction and restricted transfer business we’re favourites to go down. 

For that reason I’d hire someone who can commit to a 3-5 year project who is talented but young, exciting and with something to prove. Corberan also fits the profile but Arsenal’s patterns of play are almost identical to Maresca’s. It would be a seamless transition. Additionally he is credited as massively developing Saka and Odegaard, which would benefit Fatawu and KDH. 

High risk, high reward appointment, but an exciting one!

Except they aren't committed and will f*** off from a bigger offer next year

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Wymsey said:

Perhaps.

Obviously take this with a pinch of salt, but heard that the owner and prospective new manager met in London yesterday and has unofficially agreed to join.

He was the club's first choice, but apparently he changed his mind after initially declining the opportunity a couple of weeks ago.

Source: A former box holder of over 20 years who used to have dealings with the club.

Poch

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, StriderHiryu said:

You could put a monster buyout in, but it's true that has been the case for a few of them so far.

McKenna seems to be showing some loyalty so it depends on the manager. Also Enzo after being lied to about the FFP stuff is well within his rights to go.

But it's a fair point to make, I give you that.

Hmmm lied is a very assertive statement. You may want to change that to “was not fully enlightened to the clubs financial situation”

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Beechey said:

Build up looks very similar to Enzo. Seems he has a winger go into the 10, and the full back push up. The shape ends up the same with a slightly different dynamic.

Just watched it and backs up what I remembered of him. Strong 1 v 1 wingers but creates combinations that enables at least one winger (the LW) to go inside with support from an attacking full back. Slightly different to Enzo at Leicester although Justin did occasionally create that pattern.

Ruud's PSV deployed an 8 in a deeper role rather than push up with just one holding midfielder, which is interesting when they had a player as strong as Sangare but I think would be key to us surviving in the Prem. If we could find a CM who can go box to box and help both the holding midfielder and create going forward then that would be ideal. Veerman is a class act.

What's most interesting is the utilisation of attacking crosses in to the box, not dissimilar to Enzo but with different types of physical players in De Jong and Til as opposed to the likes of Daka/Vardy and KDH. I suppose Ndidi was able to provide some of that blind side attacking.

I'd be extremely excited to see RVN with Fatawu and Alves, a player I think he could get 1st season gains like he did with Xavi Simons.

• Like 2

Not sure I'd be happy with Potter. There's a lot of Brighton fans who dont want him back, saying his football was too slow and boring and that he would be a step backwards from De Zerbi. I have a feeling his passing style might not work for us.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, scinnell said:

If we get RVD, hope we put a ridiculous release clause in his contract for when United inevitably poach him in a few seasons time!

Who is RVD?

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

44 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Hmmmmm I'm not so sure. Maybe not to Chelsea but could our board have been proactive for once if it seemed a genuine possibility he could be off this summer?

I just can’t see our board being proactive in any situation. Percy seemed to think he was staying a few weeks back 

44 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

Just to say that Poch knew he was leaving before the final game 

it’s very likely that Chelsea had already identified enzo for their  shortlist 

they would have sounded out his agent 

there would have been discussions re a possible new deal at Lcfc and I’d be surprised if Chelsea’s potential interest hadn’t formed part of that 

it’s usual for properly run clubs to have a shortlist for a replacement coach (yeah I know ) 

Maybe but he wasn’t a leading candidate till later on. I’d be surprised (especially with our board) if they were taking to other managers that far back 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Sambiasso said:

Would have thought the Sevilla links would have been stronger if he knew he was off. 

Don't buy it personally, it would be signed and sealed by now if talks began 2 weeks ago.

Perhaps the meetings with Top didn't go as enzo planned and from then on it was likely he'd jump ship and his mates put his  name out there ?

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, StriderHiryu said:

You could put a monster buyout in, but it's true that has been the case for a few of them so far.

McKenna seems to be showing some loyalty so it depends on the manager. Also Enzo after being lied to about the FFP stuff is well within his rights to go.

But it's a fair point to make, I give you that.

The football landscape is changing though and maybe it's the model moving forward to give managerial propects their first taste. Just am sceptical over how we'd build long term 

• Like 1

Regarding van Nistelrooy, soneone posted this on Reddit:

"He was a bit of a mixed bag. He didn't want to take the role at PSV yet, but the club basically talked him into it after Schmidt had left. He started out strong (they played really well in the pre season), had some decent ideas about how he wanted to play and some of the players were really enthusiastic about his management style. He appears to have an eye for talent and how to improve players, especially forwards.

But when the team started to struggle in the league he couldn't really right the ship and his playstyle became a bit conservative, more how a NT would play at a tournament. But honestly he didn't have the best PSV team at his disposal (he lost Gakpo and Madueke) and had some bad luck with injuries. Overall his one season wasn't all that bad, but he wasn't really getting a lot of confidence (and backing) from the club management so he quit, which seemed the best for all involved. The tactics and basics he left behind were further expanded by Bosz though and according to him they were a solid foundation for his title winning side.

RvN made a few mistakes but most managers starting out do, it is an on the job learning process. His chilled media approach and clear way of communicating was refreshing though and of his generation of Dutch ex-players he showed probably the most potential along with van Bommel who is ahead on experience. It would be an interesting choice, but i think that with the right assistants he could do well with Leicester."

5 minutes ago, Ian Nacho said:

Joseph Goebbels is a more sensible suggestion than Cambiasso. 

If @Ric Flair told me there was a Joseph Goebbels managing 3rd tier German team Holsten Keiser Currywurst, playing an exciting brand of football... i'd believe him.

• Haha 4

1 minute ago, StriderHiryu said:

Regarding van Nistelrooy, soneone posted this on Reddit:

"He was a bit of a mixed bag. He didn't want to take the role at PSV yet, but the club basically talked him into it after Schmidt had left. He started out strong (they played really well in the pre season), had some decent ideas about how he wanted to play and some of the players were really enthusiastic about his management style. He appears to have an eye for talent and how to improve players, especially forwards.

But when the team started to struggle in the league he couldn't really right the ship and his playstyle became a bit conservative, more how a NT would play at a tournament. But honestly he didn't have the best PSV team at his disposal (he lost Gakpo and Madueke) and had some bad luck with injuries. Overall his one season wasn't all that bad, but he wasn't really getting a lot of confidence (and backing) from the club management so he quit, which seemed the best for all involved. The tactics and basics he left behind were further expanded by Bosz though and according to him they were a solid foundation for his title winning side.

RvN made a few mistakes but most managers starting out do, it is an on the job learning process. His chilled media approach and clear way of communicating was refreshing though and of his generation of Dutch ex-players he showed probably the most potential along with van Bommel who is ahead on experience. It would be an interesting choice, but i think that with the right assistants he could do well with Leicester."

That last comment is important. It seems he had some issues with his staff at PSV and would likely be rebuilding his team around him at his next club. He'd have to do that here, there'll be nobody left except Ben Petty.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Ric Flair said:

That last comment is important. It seems he had some issues with his staff at PSV and would likely be rebuilding his team around him at his next club. He'd have to do that here, there'll be nobody left except Ben Petty.

How petty of us

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, HybridFox said:

The football landscape is changing though and maybe it's the model moving forward to give managerial propects their first taste. Just am sceptical over how we'd build long term 

Yeah it's more than fair to ask about the long term. We are in a situation where we are the shop window for managers and players to show what they can do before going to the elites. That's frustrating, but equally could be a lot worse as in no one wanting to come here at all!

The real problem with building long term is we don't have a proper DOF. Succession planning is a real thing and it feels like we don't have it. That said I think it's fair to say that this sequence of events was hard to predict.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Chrysalis said:

Bring him in. :)

We have the players for fast counter.

In the Championship he played an attacking game with very aggressive wingbacks. We were good at steamrollering teams but also good on the break as there was loads of

pace in the team.  

In the PL we did this for about 6 games but were far too open against Leicester, Spurs and others and got some heavy beatings.  So Cooper moved to a low block where we often had about 25pc possession and we were very reliant on the counters of Johnson and Awoniyi.

Part of the reason he was sacked was the owners wanted a more

possession-based game, and they were frustrated by us not laying a glove on teams away from home.  

He said that the City Ground oozes football

soul and that his deep care for the wellbeing of Forest will always endure.  Could see this meaning he wouldn’t get much patience at Leicester.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Chelmofox said:

So no one has any insights to how Cooper likes to setup?

Hit it to the big bloke up front seemed to be the measure of it. Can’t believe people advocated the hiring of a failure at PL level. At least Corberan would be fresh to the level.